test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question - defeat and enemy without destroying it

I'm looking to create a mission where one defeats a ship, then boards it, so I don't want the defeated ship to explode? Is this possible/how it is done?
Post edited by commodoreobvious on

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    This is one of those "You can't, but..." kind of things.

You can't make it so that when a ship gets down to a certain health it stops dead in its tracks and becomes friendly so it can't be shot at.

However, I wanted to do this in one of my very early missions. So what I did was have the combat encounter, you tell a boff that you want to disable the ship (a Reman Scimitar in this case). You defeat the ship and it blows up. You yell at your boff for not following orders, he tells you there was no way it should have been destroyed from how you were hitting it. You run a sensor sweep and find the scimitar (a new NPC contact that I spawned when the combat mob was destroyed) a short distance away. Your boff speculates that it must have set off a big explosion and cloaked to try and fake its own destruction to escape, but, it was damaged enough that it didn't make it very far.

Then you fly over and board it, which takes you to an interior map.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's strange that this feature isn't in the Foundry...

Several of the early Fed. missions against the Klingons, have just this type of thing happen.

And they've been in the game since day one.

Must be a bit of code that They don't want to share or haven't figured out how to port it over yet.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    It's strange that this feature isn't in the Foundry...

Several of the early Fed. missions against the Klingons, have just this type of thing happen.

And they've been in the game since day one.

Must be a bit of code that They don't want to share or haven't figured out how to port it over yet.
    It may conflict with a "kill X" objective, and makes mission broken. An easy way to avoid that is to simply remove the option to do so, probably easier than fix it. But that's just my guess.

Back to the topic, aside from Drogyn suggestion, you can make a text based encounter, you see an encounter, ask the player to move close, then use a waypoint to trigger a conversation. Use invisible wall to avoid a fight. Then, you tell your BOFF to neutralize the ship. Once it's selected, the enemy ship+invisible walls are removed, and a neutral NPC with the proper animation (venting plasma or something) spawn in its place.
    The player will not see the "switch" as he will be in the conversation, and will only have his boff telling him "it's done", then see the derelict ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]