test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Vanarous, is it worth $20?

benovidebenovide Member Posts: 397
edited April 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Is it worth paying $20 for the Vanarous?

Ultimately, is it worth paying $40 for both the Vanarus and Fleet Vanarus?

(Fleet because it's the better of the two, regular one for the repair station console)

I've come to realize, I have a Tank, a Death Dealer, but I don't have a Support Vessel, and I mean a REAL support vessel via repair/buff/debuff.

Seeing a Fleet Van in action, it seems to be moderately effective at keeping allied ships alive. especially when fighting Donatra, Tac Cubes, and even prolonged life in the Hive Onslought.

But I want as much feedback as possible on it.

Furthermore, can it equip Cannons?
Post edited by benovide on

Comments

• aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your money would be better spent buying keys, selling them, and using the money to get one of the two lockbox science ships available to the KDF: the Orb Weaver and whatever the Klingon temporal science ship is called.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The temporal KDF ship is a good choice I hear.
    Honestly I can not say about the Varanus. I have one but have never really used it.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • daratdarat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've used the Varanus support vessel with my sci captain, and I found it is quite capable as a healer/debuffer/cc combo with the right boff skill choices.

I still need to spend a lot of time tweaking the gear on it to get optimum performance from it.

The console is really good, it spawns 2 hull repair drones per platform, and has a almost stupidly short cd, so even if a pair of drones decide to be as smart as a carrier's fighter pets, you can still have so many in the map that it doesn't matter.

I also found that if you target an ally before smacking the console to life those drones will follow your target till destroyed, or till the platform is destroyed/despawns. Add to those drones with a couple of shield heals, hull heals, a cc skill and a debuff skill, and you will have a really well rounded ship, add to the mix some tet beams or pol beams and you can hold them in place, strip the power/shields and watch the dps players fill them full of holes.
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I used a Varanus for my Gorn tactical. I ran it as a torpedo boat with Plasma launchers. You'd win simply by burning the enemy up while they'd not be able to touch you. But it takes time.

As a crowd control/AOE slap/tank it is brilliant. On ISE you can ignore the best attentions of probes which warp in while you're blowing the transformers.

As a support ship, properly placed platforms can be a real bonus, one STF someone asked why there were a cloud of flies following his ship about.

Its a good, solid ship, you just can't kill anything quickly.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm gonna go with "no". Science ships are made obsolete by carriers with science capability. The only thing Varanus brings to the table is the repair platform, but if you kill stuff faster then repairing the team becomes a non-issue.
  • benovidebenovide Member Posts: 397
    edited April 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with "no". Science ships are made obsolete by carriers with science capability. The only thing Varanus brings to the table is the repair platform, but if you kill stuff faster then repairing the team becomes a non-issue.

I have a Vo"Quv, and Jem Hadar Dreanought, respectfully, they are nowhere near even being close to be called a "Science Vessel". They just don't cut it. A support vessel yes, but they are no where near science ship category. That's like calling a Cruiser a Science Vessel, despite the console slots, it doesn't meet the standard.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    benovide wrote: »
    Is it worth paying $20 for the Vanarous?

Ultimately, is it worth paying $40 for both the Vanarus and Fleet Vanarus?
    You will not pay $40 for both. If you own the regular C-Store Varanus, acquiring the Fleet Upgrade will cost you only a single module per instead of 4 modules.
    Furthermore, can it equip Cannons?
    No. It is not a Klingon ship and therefore not cannontastic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • benovidebenovide Member Posts: 397
    edited April 2013
    You will not pay $40 for both. If you own the regular C-Store Varanus, acquiring the Fleet Upgrade will cost you only a single module per instead of 4 modules.

No. It is not a Klingon ship and therefore not cannontastic.

So it only costs 1 module?
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unfortunately, the Varanus is ultimately just an inferior KDF version of the Nebula/advanced research vessel retrofit. The repair platform is quite subpar as well. The relatively better turn rate will help it as a gravity well spammer though.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the Varanus is ultimately just an inferior KDF version of the Nebula/advanced research vessel retrofit. The repair platform is quite subpar as well. The relatively better turn rate will help it as a gravity well spammer though.

Very true, but the Veranus / Fleet Veranus is also the ONLY truly dedicated Science ship in the faction's lineup. Everything else is a hybrid. The BOP can be made a Science monster, but there are severe pro's & con's to that. The worst con is being fragile in PVP.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a Vo"Quv, and Jem Hadar Dreanought, respectfully, they are nowhere near even being close to be called a "Science Vessel". They just don't cut it. A support vessel yes, but they are no where near science ship category. That's like calling a Cruiser a Science Vessel, despite the console slots, it doesn't meet the standard.

The Tholian Recluse, however, is a science carrier.