test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forum Reorganization Community Discussion [Complete!]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

With Legacy of Romulus due out next month, and the introduction of a third faction, the time has come to start thinking about a forum reorganization. As you are the community and utilize the forums, I'd love to get your input and suggestions. Ultimately, I'll also need to make sure that the organizations make sense for the Dev team as they are reading the forums for feedback constantly, but I'd really like to involve you all in the process.

So, let's get started! Feel free to make descriptive suggestions or post something like this:

STO Forums
.Information and Discussion
..Federation News Network
..Release Notes
..Dev Tracker

etc, etc, etc.

Feel free to use the index as your guide: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

Here's a few questions we should also think about:

Should the shipyards sub-forum (builds, feedback, not art, etc.) still be separated by faction?
Are there any forums that you think should be combined?
Is STO discussion and General Community Feedback too similar or should we keep them separated?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions :)

Once we all come to, or at least try to, a consensus, the changes will be made. The goal for this is a week or two before the expansion launches. NOTE: These changes will not include the future update mentioned here, nor will anything else be changing at this time, other than what forums we have and the organization of them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Firstly I think we should rename the Federation News Network. Cryptic's got people who constantly talk about how this is "Federation Online" and it doesn't help when we have a federation motif and our news forum is named after the Federation. A new, neutral name would be better. Maybe a news network ran by the Ferengi? Ferenginar News Network. The Latinum Times. The GPL Journal. The Marauder Gazette.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Branflakes, could you outline the categories/sections/teams whom are viewing the forums? It only have to be in broad strokes if you can.

I.e. does one team cover multiple categories? It would make it easier to suggest consolidation with that knowledge, so we don't suggest a scenario where one dev team have to ready two or more different sections of the forum, ideally.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    Firstly I think we should rename the Federation News Network. Cryptic's got people who constantly talk about how this is "Federation Online" and it doesn't help when we have a federation motif and our news forum is named after the Federation. A new, neutral name would be better. Maybe a news network ran by the Ferengi? Ferenginar News Network. The Latinum Times. The GPL Journal. The Marauder Gazette.

I'm not opposed to a rename at all :) Probably not the names you suggested, but... ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Firstly I think we should rename the Federation News Network.

I agree. Why not just "News Network" or something like "Game News".
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Galactic News network... Done next. ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited April 2013
    aexrael wrote: »
    Branflakes, could you outline the categories/sections/teams whom are viewing the forums? It only have to be in broad strokes if you can.

I.e. does one team cover multiple categories? It would make it easier to suggest consolidation with that knowledge, so we don't suggest a scenario where one dev team have to ready two or more different sections of the forum, ideally.

Every single forum is read by multiple devs, and all categories are covered currently. So we wouldn't want to get rid of any, but we can consolidate.

For example: The systems designers who work on ships read the two current subforums, among others, of course, so maybe those can be combined?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Dramatic-Family-Guy-Closet-Monkey-Point ^

I agree that some other third party name would be nice, to help expand the focus from just the Federation to all three parties. Ferengi are alright, maybe something that has a grander focus? IDK ill think on it some more and update.
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Brandon , this is an excellent opportunity to include the role play forums which were discussed at the round table. :)
  • ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just add romulan thread placeholders. When clicked, you will get a popup to choose to go either to federation thread or klingon one.
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see any reasons for significant changes, after all this will still be a two faction game. Maybe add something like "Romulan Shipyard" to discuss warbird builds and "Romulan gameplay" to discuss romulan missions for levels 1-40. I'm not even convinced that we need a romulan fleet recruitment forum that we now have.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
    edited April 2013
    warpedcore wrote: »
    Brandon , this is an excellent opportunity to include the role play forums which were discussed at the round table. :)

It's tentatively planned as a sub-forum of Ten Forward, but I'm hesitant to introduce it until we have the "report post" feature is back.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I recommend using a service like getsatisfaction.com, it is a great tool for determining what the actual community concerns are and not just the same 10 people making 100 posts each

but if sticking with the forums as they are:

Information and Discussion (generally fine)
    -Dev Tracker (fix it so I can actually navigate past the first page, this is the most important feature in the forums)
    -[all of the other current sections are fine]

Feedback (its too huge and going to grow bigger as it is, reserve this section for on feedback directed to Cryptic)

Make a community discussion section, place fleet recruiting, build discussions, foundry mission reviews

builds should still be separated by faction because of all the faction specific stuff (even romulans)

otherwise the organization is pretty fine
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll just go with the flow. :cool:

But perhaps consider adding some form of market section, and open up more sections to allow images?

Just now I had that feeling that I had something really important to add here ...and well.. :confused:
    signwidrona.png
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like to suggest different forum themes. Like currently we have the federation motif. Would be nice to see a Klingon and Romulan as well. Just for something different. :)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the academy should be reworked, there are too many sticky posts and it's not obvious for people to post there when they have a question about the game. Questions are often posted in "sto discussions". The shipyard subforums could go there, in an academy section. The current academy could be renamed "Star trek online help" or something like that.

One "discussion/rp" subforum per faction would also be appreciated. I often see people doing RP on the "klingon gameplay" forums, and honestly it's a bit annoying. Some place where players could discuss random stuff about their faction could alleviate the pain of reading RP in many threads. Like 3 faction specific "ten forward".
    It's tentatively planned as a sub-forum of Ten Forward, but I'm hesitant to introduce it until we have the "report post" feature is back.

Why? There are already many RP posts. A report button won't change anything, and you can always lock a subforum if people go too far. And i'm quite sure it won't happen. I don't get why you're hesitant.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • thepopeofbeersthepopeofbeers Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If I had to design the forums, I'd probably keep it much the same, but adjust it like this:

News Network (I agree it needs a rename.)
    Release Notes
    Dev Tracker
    The Academy
    Star Trek Online Discussion (General Community Feedback should be rolled into here. Look at all the posts in GCF. I'll wait. Notice anything? Everyone is discussing STO. Where are they not discussing STO? Star Trek Online Discussion.)
    Ten Forward

Federation Gameplay
    Klingon Gameplay
    Romulan Gameplay
    Shipyards/Fleetyards (Consoles aren't faction specific any longer, except for a few examples, and Romulans will be able to fly allied ships. So why not consolidate?)
    Captain and Bridge Officer Builds and Powers (Consolidate!)
    Duty Officer System (Too different, I think, to roll into the Captain and BOff forum.)
    PvE Gameplay
    PvP Gameplay (Where else would we cry for nerfs? :P)
    Missions and Episodes (I almost cut this forum because it's been pretty dead lately, but then I remembered how active it got when Temporal Ambassador and the 2800 debuted. Plus, we need a place to discuss non-faction specific missions.)
    Controls and User Interface
    The Art of Star Trek Online
    C-Store and Promotions

And I'd keep the Foundry, Support, Fleet Administrative Station, and Test Servers the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly? I think things really are set up almost 100% perfect as they are right now.

As has been suggested already, adding a Romulan Shipyard and Romulan Content section to match the other 2 factions. I'm sure some wag will suggest putting all "content" under one section as it will be shared or "cut'n'pasted" but I think there's enough difference to warrant the separate sections.

I wouldn't combine General Community Feedback and Star Trek Online Discussion into one as the former seems to be a section which is more for forumites to question forumites and the latter is where forumites can question devs.

...Oh and I would second renaming Federation News Network to Galactic News Network except my mind goes to a galaxy far, far away when I read it for some reason :D

What I would suggest is making it a no posting allowed section, like release notes, moving discussions about maintenance, news and events to the more appropriate forum. I have trouble having to read through pages of moaning before finding an update from you telling us maintenance is extended when what I would want is a post from you RIGHT after the initial post.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Captains,

With Legacy of Romulus due out next month, and the introduction of a third faction, the time has come to start thinking about a forum reorganization. As you are the community and utilize the forums, I'd love to get your input and suggestions. Ultimately, I'll also need to make sure that the organizations make sense for the Dev team as they are reading the forums for feedback constantly, but I'd really like to involve you all in the process.

So, let's get started! Feel free to make descriptive suggestions or post something like this:

STO Forums
    ..Release Notes
    ..Dev Tracker

etc, etc, etc.

Feel free to use the index as your guide: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php

Should the shipyards sub-forum (builds, feedback, not art, etc.) still be separated by faction?
    Is STO discussion and General Community Feedback too similar or should we keep them separated?

Once we all come to, or at least try to, a consensus, the changes will be made. The goal for this is a week or two before the expansion launches. NOTE: These changes will not include the future update mentioned here, nor will anything else be changing at this time, other than what forums we have and the organization of them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    My only thought on Forums Structure: We NEED a general game/system mechanics forums. It feels weird that the most talk about how the game works is in the PvP forums (and it feels intimidating for those of us who don't PvP to post in there). This sub-forum would be the best place to discuss current features, balance, and suggestion for future features/mechanics.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wrote up this suggestion last year shortly after the forums were merged/changed, 06-21-2012.

'Star Trek Online Discussion' & 'General Community Feedback' have the same type of threads, topics and discussions, relating to either the Developers, fansites, the forum changes, STO current and future developments and various gameplay ideas which doesn't fit in the other sub-forums.

They are the first obvious candidates for consolidation. It makes it easier for players to keep the focus on topics, which aren't directly related to the other sub sections, and it keeps clone topics and repeat posts down.

A name for the consolidated sub-forums could be 'Community Feedback & Discussions',
    - "For feedback and discussions on topics not covered by another sub-forum".

Next up we have

The different Shipyards, even more so with the introduction of a third one, is a prime candidate for consolidation.
    'Federation Shipyards' & 'Klingon Fleetyards', merge under sub-forum 'The Shipyard'. - "Where Captains meet to discuss their ships' layouts, equipment and performance".

Then we have

'Character Builds and Powers' & 'Bridge Officers and BOff Powers', merge under sub-forum 'Captains & Bridge Officers'. - "Discussion and feedback about player classes and Bridge Officers".

Abolish the sections and move the threads from 'Federation Gameplay', 'Klingon Gameplay' and 'PvE Gameplay'.
    The topics in these three sub-forums are already covered by more appropriate sub-forums, such as

'Missions & Episodes'
    -Discussion for all episodic content, STF, event missions.

'The Shipyard', 'Captain's & Bridge Officers', 'Community Feedback & Discussions' as outline above.

The Index would thus look like the following

Information
    Federation News Network
    Release Notes
    Dev Tracker
    The Academy
    Ten Forward

Discussion & Feedback
    Community Feedback & Discussions
    The Shipyard
    Captains & Bridge Officers
    Duty Officers/Starbases/Reputations
    Missions and Events (All things PvE gameplay)
    PvP

On the topic of the 'The Academy', it has far too many stickies. 1 Master Index Sticky with a list of all the available threads of information, categorized and organized, would be far more beneficial.
    Other sub sections of the forum have outdated stickies as well, or simply a multitude of different stickies taking up valuable screen estate on the first page of the forum.

Someone would have to maintain that list (Branflakes and mods), but I wrote one up which was current back 9 months ago, and makes a good foundation IMHO. You can find it here.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi Captains,

STO Forums
    ..Release Notes
    ..Dev Tracker

etc, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I've never really felt that the shipyard sections needed to be divided by faction; it's not like the ships are so radically different that there is no crossover as far as builds go. Having everyone discussing these things in the same place would make it easier for us to compare notes. The same applies to the faction gameplay sections; but the KDF players seem to like having a place to call home on the forums, so it might be a good idea to keep those.

The STO discussion and General Community Feedback sections are, to a large extent, used interchangeably; except that people don't read the threads in Feedback so often. There's a lot of good stuff that just gets lost in there, that could just as easily have been in Discussion. Having said that, concentrating that stuff into a single sub-forum means fewer possible places for angry people to rage; so if they were combined, then the good stuff might just get buried anyway. Maybe you could have a separate 'Complaints' forum? :P

Fleet Recruitment sections, and technical support sections, need to be more prominently displayed. I wouldn't be surprised if many new players don't even realise they are there.

Some things could probably stand to be tucked inside other things. Boff and Doff sections, for example, seem like they should be sub-sections of a 'Powers and Abilities' section or something. The top page of the forums is just too big.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a former Moderator on another unrelated site, and the Administrator on a fleet website, here is how I would reorganize this site:

Information
    -Galactic News Network (Renamed from Federation News Network)
    -Release Notes
    -Dev Tracker
    Discussion
    -Academy (could possibly rename this, so it fits with all 3 factions)
    -Star Trek Online Discussion
    Recreational - Off Topic Discussion
    -Ten Forward
    -Role Play Forum
    Feedback
    -Federation Gameplay (Combined with General Feedback)
    -Klingon Gameplay
    -Romulan Gameplay
    -Duty Officer System
    -PVE Gameplay
    -PVP Gameplay
    -Character Builds and Powers
    -Bridge Officers and BOFF Powers (could possibly combine this with Character Builds and Powers)
    -Missions and Episodes
    -Controls and User Interface
    -C-Store and Promotions
    Art of Star Trek Online
    -Ship Art
    -Epic Screenshots
    -Beauty Shots
    Shipyards
    -Federation
    -Klingon
    -Romulan
    The Foundry for Star Trek Online
    -Discussion & Feedback
    -Mission Database
    -Bug Reports
    Support
    -
    Gameplay Bugs
    -PC and Technical Issues
    -Graphical Issues
    Fleet Recruitment
    -Federation
    -Klingon
    -Romulan
    Test Servers
    -Tribble
    --Release Notes and Announcements
    --Bug Reports
    --Discussion and Feedback
    -Redshirt
    --Release Notes and Announcements
    --Bug Reports
    --Discussion and Feedback

Of course, this is just my opinion.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    seems to me a Federation Gameplay, Klingon Gameplay, Romulan Gameplay, PvE Gameplay, and Missions and Episodes is all talking about the same thing, PVE. role that all into 1. just make 1 shipyard subforum too.

also General Community Feedback and Star Trek Online Discussion, those basically seem like the same thing to me too

Character Builds and Powers and Bridge Officers and BOff Powers are certainly talking about the same thing. plus actual builds are discuses almost exclusively in the ship yard section or PVP section, those sections arent even used for that. any of the posts there now could be rolled into the academy.

so it should look about like this

News Network
    Release Notes
    Dev Tracker
    Star Trek Online Discussion
    Ten Forward

The Academy
    Duty Officer System
    Shipyards
    PvE Gameplay
    PvP Gameplay
    C-Store and Promotions

the foundry and test server stuff should be unchanged
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If I had to design the forums, I'd probably keep it much the same, but adjust it like this:

Release Notes
    Dev Tracker
    The Academy
    Star Trek Online Discussion (General Community Feedback should be rolled into here. Look at all the posts in GCF. I'll wait. Notice anything? Everyone is discussing STO. Where are they not discussing STO? Star Trek Online Discussion.)
    Ten Forward

Federation Gameplay
    Klingon Gameplay
    Romulan Gameplay
    Shipyards/Fleetyards (Consoles aren't faction specific any longer, except for a few examples, and Romulans will be able to fly allied ships. So why not consolidate?)
    Duty Officer System (Too different, I think, to roll into the Captain and BOff forum.)
    PvE Gameplay
    Missions and Episodes (I almost cut this forum because it's been pretty dead lately, but then I remembered how active it got when Temporal Ambassador and the 2800 debuted. Plus, we need a place to discuss non-faction specific missions.)
    C-Store and Promotions

And I'd keep the Foundry, Support, Fleet Administrative Station, and Test Servers the same.

I like this suggestion. Simple and clean.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think there are way too many sub forums, and the idea of adding even more every time you add a faction seems silly. I know I have had issues finding information in the past, often finding the same or similar information is in multiple places.

We don't have Fed and KDF PvP/PVE forums, do we need Fed and KDF shipyards?

I think you are better off segmenting the game by play type:

General Community Feedback

Space Combat - Ships, Builds, Equipment, and Powers

Ground Combat - Builds, Equipment, and Powers

PvP

Crew Systems - BOFFs and DOFFs

Missions, Fleet Actions, STFs, FEs

Controls and UI

The Art of STO

C-Store

You can just look at the topics on the first page of each subform to see a lot of that part of the forum to see discussion is really spread out. with similar topics across multiple areas.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Release Notes
    Dev Tracker
    The Academy
    Ten Forward

Federation Gameplay
    Klingon Gameplay
    Romulan Gameplay
    PvE Gameplay
    C-Store and Promotions

I like this one, though Missions and Episodes could likely be rolled into PvE Gameplay or Online Discussion...
    edited April 2013
    Great suggestions! Keep them coming :)

Another question to ponder: where do you all think feedback about the reputation and fleet holdings system should live? I was thinking it could be combined in one forum with the DOFF system, as the same devs work on it, but how do you feel about that?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Another question to ponder: where do you all think feedback about the reputation and fleet holdings system should live? I was thinking it could be combined in one forum with the DOFF system, as the same devs work on it, but how do you feel about that?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sounds logical to me!
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi again Brandon,

I agree with the network rename and need for reorganization in the forums to accomodate the upcoming Romulan Faction. Here are some suggestions and ideas, feel free to discuss.

1- As STO is home to multiple factions, replace the current forum header image, which currently features a Federation starbase, to one representative of all 3 factions. Perhaps a graduated blending image showing an integral aspect of all 3 factions in simple, classy fashion may work. I can design an original one if supplied with the right images, or it can be made into a forum contest to pick the best replacement.

2- Suggestions for the renaming the Federation News Network category: The Embassy, Ambassador Herald Network, or simply Herald (or Ambassador) Network.

3- Rename Dev Tracker to Dev Central or move it to a category for all dev posts and interaction.

4- Move Star Trek Online Discussion category to where the Dev Tracker is or below it and rename it The Round Table. Also, specify in the description it is for game discussion, as opposed to Community Feedback which is for feedback of all related dynamics.

5- Place The Academy above the Ten Forward category as they are for new players, one to introduce, the other to ask and learn in.

6- Seperate faction categories from Feedback and create new individual Community forum sections for putting faction specific categories in one place, whereby you can easily create new categories if you add more factions in future. Create 3 individual faction specific categories, 1) Federation Community, 2) Klingon Community, 3) Romulan Community, and combine the Fleet Administrative Station category into each one respectively.

7- Rename the General Community Feedback category to Community Feedback Lounge.

8- Remove the Character Builds and Powers category, as it should be faction specific, perhaps included 1 each in the Community faction sections.

9- Rename the Bridge Officers and BOffs category to Bridge Command.

10- Move the Support section to 2nd section position under the Information and Discussion section. This facilitates access for both staff and players.

11- Place the new Community sections where the Fleet Administrative section is now, placing the fleet category into their respective factions as detailed in #6 above.

12- Add a moderator section to the end, after the Test Servers section, where we can see members who have visited the forum, how many posts were made today, some interesting tidbits to interest viewers who visit the forums regularly like me (Optional).

Thank you,

Xean
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd vote to combine:
    Fed + KDF (+Rom) Shipyards
    Boff and character powers (i.e. all powers)
    PvE Gameplay + Missions&Episodes
    STO Discussion + General Feedback
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Not a good idea in my opinion. 70% of the feedback on fleet and reputation systems are about the prices, and 29% are from pvp-ers complaining about supposedly "op" gear. the last 1% could be welcome in the doff subforum, but actually i like it as it is, a suitable and quiet place for civil discussions about something not creating much anger from players. Reputation and fleet sysems could get a separate subforum though.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
This discussion has been closed.