test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Romulan] Which faction will you ally with?

12346»

Comments

• aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm quite surprised about the results. 37 fed vs 36 kdf if I counted right. Only trend so far is that people who are planning with two chars will go Reman/KDF and Romulan/Fed.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised about the results. 37 fed vs 36 kdf if I counted right. Only trend so far is that people who are planning with two chars will go Reman/KDF and Romulan/Fed.

That seems a bit illogical to me - I'd expect the exact opposite.

Me, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »

Nu-uh... Romulans for both my chars.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will probably do a Reman/KDF character.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • lin718lin718 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Leaning towards the Federation.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mirai222 wrote: »
    How is that bursting my bubble? The Klingons don't stock any Temporal Jumpsuits for the tailors, I have to acquire them and stock them instead, at considerable personal expense I might add. And Orions? No non-spiked boots there, just a pair of sandals.

That's the thing I hate about Orion females...the sandals...why can't we also have access to thigh highs like the one Orion dancing on DS9?

But on topic like I said earlier going to be making my Romulan(s?) KDF. Maybe even make a pointy eared Klingon if there is a option in the hybrid creator.

I know is kinda stupid but I keep my Federation characters with Starfleet vessels, fly all kinda of alien ships on the KDF side, and I will keep that up with the Romulan ships.

For those of you taking count, I probably will end up making a Romulan of each class...so that's three for me on the KDF side.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I said in the other thread, I will probably make 1 of each. I will probably go with my KDF first, though, as my KDF Fleet base/embassy is slightly behind my Fed base/embassy. That way I can use my Rom time to gather resources for that base.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    giarana wrote: »
    Neither, now that I've had time to digest the new Romulan setup, I don't want to play any more. I don't just mean that I don't want to "Roll a Rommy Toon", but that I want nothing to do with this half attempt at adding "New" content.

I was very pleased with the original news of a Rom faction and was busily working out how much money I was willing to spend on char/bank/inv slots and lovely new Romulan goodies. Then came the news that there is NO ROMULAN FACTION. Sure we can roll a Rom toon and for the first hour or so level up in low end Rom boats to lvl 10, then what? OH yeh, abandon any thoughts of helping the Romulans reclaim anything and join the Federation or the KDF... (KDF, lol, half of a half faction is a quarter)

This will place the remaining Roms in the situation of fighting Rom on Rom, not exactly a great way of preserving the future of the survivors.

No thanks. NOT STAR TREK.

This is not a new faction, just adding Rom toons and boats to the existing 1 1/2 factions.

The exclusive Rom missions will be enough to level up to the point of choosing sides, after that go grind the FED or KDF missions until you're as bored of the same missions as the other faction gets.

Better to be assimilated by the Borg than become a lapdog for the FEDS.

Better of dead than a subject of KDF rule.
    I WANT TO MARCH BENEATH THE RAPTORS WING
    (not FED, not KDF)

Yeah, as far as I could tell, you get unique missions until the FEs start around lvl 40, and then it's off to the factionless endgame again. And furthermore, I believe you're capable of flying Romulan starships all the time, even at lvl 50, but CAN - emphasis on that "CAN" - use the ships belonging to the allied faction.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Personally going off all the Star Trek history (not just STO) I can not imagine anything ever causing the Romulans and Klingons to become allies. Before anyone even mentions DS9 and the Dominion war, let me remind you the Federation brought the Romulans into the war and it was the Federation who spear headed the war.
    Oki... I can agree on that...

Now...

How about the Romulan / Klingon alliance that gave the Rom D7's, and the KDF Cloak?

Or the Durass Faction / Romulan alliance?

... Just saying :)
    ^ Thank you for saving me posting time.

I'd also like to add ST: VI to the Romulan-Klingon connection, with Ambassador Nanclus being part of the conspiracy with Chang to assassinate the Federation president. And yes, DS9 most certainly IS a viable additional example to all the above.

With all that said there is no question that I'll be allying with the Federation.
    Lmao! Romulans siding with Feds is far more grotesque a concept than Romulans siding with Klingons. As has been demonstrated, Romulan-Klingon alliances and trades are historically much more probable scenarios than that sort of thing happening with Feds...

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know, giving us rom ships in lockboxes solves the problem at a fundamental level, there is no need to roll romulan at all. just get the ship from the lockbox.
    That's the approach I'll take, until the longshot odds conquer my will to play. Then I might just maybe roll a Romulan; all I really want is a D'Deridex, anyway. If I could get one through the fleet system, I might just do that and call it a day.

As for which faction would the Romulans side with? Going off TNG and Nemesis, it's obviously the Federation. I may not like what canon had planned for the Romulans (namely, what we see now), but I find it hard to blame Cryptic for that. I blame the same PC malaise that infected the rest of the IP.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ...which faction would the Romulans side with? Going off TNG and Nemesis, it's obviously the Federation.
    Mind explaining how and why it's "obvious", because last I checked either of those Trek productions, Romulans were not seeking any sort of alliance outside anything that would serve their own interests.

:/
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Federation, because Klingons are annoying space-orcs. Or orcs are annoying terrestrial-klingons. Either way, they're annoying and they smell.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i'm not going to choose!
    i don't like to reroll and that's why i'll stay with my main toon. i only have one lvl 50 toon and i'll allways have only one!
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
    edited April 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Mind explaining how and why it's "obvious", because last I checked either of those Trek productions, Romulans were not seeking any sort of alliance outside anything that would serve their own interests.
    After establishing that the RSE and Tal'Shiar are basically synonymous, in the last two seasons of TNG the Tal'Shiar are distanced as some sort of fringe element, while we're left to believe that politically correct one-offs, like Donatra, are more indicative of the populace.

Whether its the reunificationists, Club Kling-med, Jarok or Donatra, we're repeatedly exposed to a softer side of Romulans. This all seems to be laying the groundwork for a softer Romulan faction, ie a Romulan Republic. No doubt there's room for a Romulan civil war; those Tal'Shiar are clearly fringe radicals and won't go away quietly.

It all seems very much in keeping with the same PC ideology which marred Voyager and Enterprise (at least, what little I saw of Enterprise). I can't imagine how bad it would be if there was a series on-going today; I'm sure the Tal'Shiar would be renamed the Tal'Partiers, so that left-wing Hollywood PC claptrap could be laid on real thick.

I would rather the Romulans remained a ruthless and somewhat mysterious enemy, but I've resigned myself to the fact that the RSE as we knew it from earlier in TNG was probably on its way out before I ever watched my first Trek episode. The series just didn't run long enough to reach that point, and none of the others drifted close enough to the storyline to pick it up. I'm fairly certain that if we saw a new series set in the 25th century, as much as it would disregard 99% of STO, one of the few things it would actually draw on would be the rise of the Romulan Republic and all the hand-holding friendship between Romulans, Federation and Klingons while merrily fighting the Tal'Shiar and (neutered) Borg along the way.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Or maybe they just wanted to portray the Romulans as something more than a species where every single character plays to the same stereotype?

I really don't get people being upset that the Romulans are individuals with individual thoughts, goals, aspirations... it's like being upset at having a black guy that doesn't play basketball in a video game.
    edited April 2013
    Or maybe they just wanted to portray the Romulans as something more than a species where every single character plays to the same stereotype?
    I think we see more Romulans portrayed as contrary to the stereotype than we see Romulans actually abiding the stereotype.

Come to think of it, we don't see much Romulan deception at all. So much for the stereotype.
  • sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From what we see in the shows it would seem that Romulans would side with the Federation more than the Klingon Empire. Many Rommie characters show trust to Fed captains, more so than to Klingons. Heck, even in their first appearance on TOS the doomed Rommie captian pretty much states they have more in common than not. It is only the Rommie inclination to paranoia and Empire that keeps them at odds. I don't see how they would allie with the KDF, not for long term anyway. How could 2 Empires keep that relationship frictionless? Better to be absorbed by the friendly, bubbly, sweet Federation than be ground under the Klingon heel.

Rootbeer anyone? :D
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My opinion? Romulan seperatists seem more inclined to ally with the federation, particularly in game-considerign that D'Tan is the Romulan Republic's leader, after all.

Klingon seperatists would be more likely to side with the Romulan Star Empire-there are examples fro mthe show of them doign just that because they thought the empire was getting too weak, beign all friendly with the Federation and all that. Klingons ahve always respected strength, and no matter what their other deficiencies, the RSE has historically radiated strength more than the Federation.

In the context of the game however, the RSE is not strong, and the KDF is going through somethign of a warrior renaissance, so I can't see much objection from the Empire due to them 'softening', and the weakness of the Romulans makes the KDF quite frankly more inclined towards conquest than treaties, and on the Romulan side, Romulans seem to have a hard time dealing with other political entities as equals, much less from a position of weakness, I can't see them really reaching out to any great extent. Of coruse, this is D'Tan's folks we are talking about, not the RSE-they seem to have much less ambition and arrogance (and more honor) so I can conceive of *these* Romulans looking to either faction, humbly offering support.

I guess the real question is if you want to play as a Reunificationist studying the teachings of Surak or a existance of servitude under the close watch of your wary Klingon taskmasters. :)
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The feds let Romulus die, never trust a fed!!! At least with a Klingon you know what to expect.
  • veepnovaveepnova Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From a gameplay perspective, I like the Klingon consoles better. I like the Klingon playerbase better (usually), The klingons need more players, the Klingon Doff missions are much more entertaining. The biggest Fed advantages are the fact that they have more ships and bigger fleets. The ship issue is probably moot though, because of Rom ships. The other nice thing about the feddies is SB 24. The Klingons dont have an equivalent mission to that one. Here's another thing to consider: Romulan + Fleet K'Tinga = Romulan D-7. :D I will be using the resources of the KDF. Their more militaristic nature means more weapons development for me to get ahold of, to restore our former place in the galaxy.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For me, i think i will go KDF, since leadership trait is getting nerfed so i wont have
    any need for human boffs now. and KDF have all the good ships... and good
    doff assignments, assuming romulan gets access to kdf doff assignments.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    After long careful consideration of many variables, lore, game function -etc... our community has decided to go red team.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll join Starfleet.
    I just hate that Klingon double moral standards when it comes to their "honor".
    Althrough the Federation isn't much better in STO, they aren't as annoying and stereotype as the KDF.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)