test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Romulan] Which faction will you ally with?

Comments

• arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will ally with the KDF if I can find a KDF fleet that is at least T4 and would take me.

Though at this point I'm thinking that might be a problem. From the fleet's perspective, why take a bunch of new guys who start at level 1 and have a good chance of never playing that char again after being through with the story...

So might be forced to stick my Romy alts into my FED mainfleet as I can easily get them in there.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I weighed up the pros of each faction and chose to ally with the Federation.

Federation
    • More active members.
    • Already have loads of purple fed Doffs.
    • Prefer ground MACO to ground KDF (cheaper to get original than grinding for the adapted).
    • Queues far more active, especially fleet event queues.
    • Newish playstyle for the feds for the most part.
    • Faction specific items are generally cheaper on the exchange.

KDF
    • Elite fleet disruptors.
    • Majority of ships can cloak, which makes for a nicely matched team for PvP.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • rustybladesrustyblades Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rebel warlord faction.
  • mavandaimavandai Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Didn't the Federation fail to prevent the destruction of Romulus? Hello KDF!:D
  • txterminatortxterminator Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mavandai wrote: »
    Didn't the Federation fail to prevent the destruction of Romulus? Hello KDF!:D

Did KDF even try to save Romulus?
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's face it, the FED side always gets more than the KDF. More ships, more costumes, more players, more queues; more advantages all around.

At this point, KDF is still somewhat broken in a few aspects.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will likely create one of each, though my Fed Romulan will probably see more use.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will likely create one of each, though my Fed Romulan will probably see more use.

Same; provided I run a second Romulan character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    archanubis wrote: »
    Same; provided I run a second Romulan character.

Same here. Frankly i don't see what the KDF could offer a Romulan character.
    The only reason why i would create a 2nd romulan character would be to have one more char to donate to whatever KDF fleet i'll be joining in the near future.

Anything the KDF could do for a Romulan character can be done better by the Federation.
    The only real asset from the KDF is cloak and guess what.. the romulans already have that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    The only real asset from the KDF is cloak and guess what.. the romulans already have that.

:D Hell, the Romulans started with that trick. The Klingons didn't gain the tech until the late 23rd century, and even then, at least what we saw on screen, it was limited to their Birds of Prey until sometime in the 24th century.

And personally, I always thought the Romulans had more in common with the Federation than they did the Klingons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fed because really the queues klingons are almost dead its well ive never done most the kdf versions of the queues and at places like defera nukara its easyier to find feds then one single kdf other then my self for teaming
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do you have choice as third option to go it alone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    Do you have choice as third option to go it alone?

No you don't, its FEDS or KDF, no Romulan Team and the crux of the anger about it from people who want a faction of their own.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will take a look at the ships themselves. If the science ones make sense, i'll make a sci, and idk yet what faction i will ally. If i choose a tac, KDF is the obvious choice. I've unlocked most of the low level ships for consoles. The KDF is by far the best PvE faction (while the fed got most the recent PvP shinies). And i can't play a tac without aceton assimilators, plasmonic leech, and a honor guard set for torps. A fed tac is just insanely boring and low on dps. :D

I also like contraband, a better average gaming skill on the red side (there are just far more rookies on the fed side), the dozens of dailies, the quietness of qonos, the free commodities... And if i need fleetmarks i'll go to defera (again :(), a kdf team takes 5 minutes at most to form, and less when the event pops.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulan's, the KDF YOU! (Pointing finger).

:D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No you don't, its FEDS or KDF, no Romulan Team and the crux of the anger about it from people who want a faction of their own.
    Thing is, the level of "assistance" you get from your ally is basedon how much you actually use their stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you don't want to be a Vulcan in Romulan clothes go KDF. Hopefully new and returning players will chose team RED.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    If you don't want to be a Vulcan in Romulan clothes go KDF. Hopefully new and returning players will chose team RED.

We can only hope but I fear the shinies will draw them to the Feds. <shakes fist at Cryptic>
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • krell83stokrell83sto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    giarana wrote: »
    Neither, now that I've had time to digest the new Romulan setup, I don't want to play any more. I don't just mean that I don't want to "Roll a Rommy Toon", but that I want nothing to do with this half attempt at adding "New" content.

I was very pleased with the original news of a Rom faction and was busily working out how much money I was willing to spend on char/bank/inv slots and lovely new Romulan goodies. Then came the news that there is NO ROMULAN FACTION. Sure we can roll a Rom toon and for the first hour or so level up in low end Rom boats to lvl 10, then what? OH yeh, abandon any thoughts of helping the Romulans reclaim anything and join the Federation or the KDF... (KDF, lol, half of a half faction is a quarter)

This will place the remaining Roms in the situation of fighting Rom on Rom, not exactly a great way of preserving the future of the survivors.

No thanks. NOT STAR TREK.

This is not a new faction, just adding Rom toons and boats to the existing 1 1/2 factions.

The exclusive Rom missions will be enough to level up to the point of choosing sides, after that go grind the FED or KDF missions until you're as bored of the same missions as the other faction gets.

Better to be assimilated by the Borg than become a lapdog for the FEDS.

Better of dead than a subject of KDF rule.
    I WANT TO MARCH BENEATH THE RAPTORS WING
    (not FED, not KDF)
    Well said, when I told my wife the Rommies would be a Fraction/Faction she just about cried. Neither of us will be spending money nor playing the Fraction of a Faction.

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We will side with the Klingon Empire.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ill see how it goes on Tribble, but depending on Dan Stahls answers to some of my questions will tell if I play it on Holodeck.

Based off what he said earlier I can replay the first like 10 missions up to level 10, and I can refuse to choose Fed or Kdf but it will not allow me to progress in the story.

Honestly that looks pretty good to me right now.

It is what I have to do ,too

brw. who care for stories in mmo's ! it is all about players interactions
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally going off all the Star Trek history (not just STO) I can not imagine anything ever causing the Romulans and Klingons to become allies. Before anyone even mentions DS9 and the Dominion war, let me remind you the Federation brought the Romulans into the war and it was the Federation who spear headed the war.

It is my hope that Cryptic will quickly realize the blunder of forcing players to be locked into picking a side or even picking a side at all. Best case scenario would be that they decide to quickly develop and release a barebones Romulan fleetbase and Romulan only Fleets, best of the worse would be that they at least allow us to chance alliance at will.

With all that said there is no question that I'll be allying with the Federation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Personally going off all the Star Trek history (not just STO) I can not imagine anything ever causing the Romulans and Klingons to become allies. Before anyone even mentions DS9 and the Dominion war, let me remind you the Federation brought the Romulans into the war and it was the Federation who spear headed the war.

Oki... I can agree on that...

Now...

How about the Romulan / Klingon alliance that gave the Rom D7's, and the KDF Cloak?

Or the Durass Faction / Romulan alliance?

... Just saying :)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    KDF offers more dilithium dailies, nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    KDF for me.

I'm guessing the vast majority will go Fed though, to get the cloak they think they deserve while still playing as a wannaKirk.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know, I am on the fence right now. Will have to see.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    no Romulan for me due to lack of time.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobsuruncl3bobsuruncl3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Plasmonic leach console, the one the Klingons didn't want to give up will soon be the property of the Romulans. Oh the others we will use, i am sure the Ferengi can be persuaded.

Sub-Commander ready the interrogation room, and bring the Bieber sound files!!!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »

It is my hope that Cryptic will quickly realize the blunder of forcing players to be locked into picking a side or even picking a side at all. Best case scenario would be that they decide to quickly develop and release a barebones Romulan fleetbase and Romulan only Fleets, best of the worse would be that they at least allow us to chance alliance at will.

With all that said there is no question that I'll be allying with the Federation.

I don't think it's fair to assume that the Klingons on DS9 and TNG were representative of all Klingons. We did see J'Dan, a Klingon working for the Romulans. I think it's more likely that large segments of the Empire just think Khitomer had it coming and were Romulan sympathizers who probably had ties going back to the TOS alliance. There were at least one group of Hal-Klingon, half-Romulan offspring.

I keep going back to this but I tend to think Klingon fans and people trying to use prominent Klingons as a basis for what the Empire is like are not in alignment with what the actual episode writers were getting at. And the mistake is in trying to infer what the culture is like based on the characters we saw on the show, most of hom were criminals, unpopular, or raised away from the home world like Worf. Worf probably has the worst grasp on Klingon culture of any of the TNG crew. It's this fairy tale notion rooted in very little direct exposure to life in the Empire.