test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What ship is this?

psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
http://oi48.tinypic.com/23r7nes.jpg

It appears in the Shipyard of ESD, and there's also a statue of it somewhere else (can't remember where).

It looks kind of like an Envoy with Typhoon stylings.

What is it?
NJ9oXSO.png
"Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
-Thomas Marrone
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it may be a variant of the sovereign. A mixture of Imperial hull with the sovvie itself, saucer belonging to one of the other variants. Could be, and probably am, wrong though. My other thought is that it may actually be one of those small sci ships.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah it looks like a Sovreign to me too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The nacelles are throwing me. it may be another example of one of the early Cryptic kitbashes similar to the Typhoon.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it's one of Perpetuals designs, it's very low slung and that saucer is unusual. It's really hard to say from that angle. but the warp nacelles and the impulse engines look very much like those in perpetual concept art. I've been trying to find the images online, I swear I've seen it rendered.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it's labeled as "unknown" on this picture.
    peships.jpg

...Oh hey look, it's the Ushaan.
  • Options
    eslavaceslavac Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you look at the Trailer for STO when it first came out that particular federation ship was in it. Plus some Screenshots showing the ships name as Cryptic. I believe it was supposed to be in the game but because of some (Unknown to me) reason they never put the ship in the game. I think a varient of the ship is in the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ug52fz5_k

http://oi48.tinypic.com/23r7nes.jpg

It appears in the Shipyard of ESD, and there's also a statue of it somewhere else (can't remember where).

It looks kind of like an Envoy with Typhoon stylings.

What is it?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    eslavac wrote: »
    If you look at the Trailer for STO when it first came out that particular federation ship was in it. Plus some Screenshots showing the ships name as Cryptic. I believe it was supposed to be in the game but because of some (Unknown to me) reason they never put the ship in the game. I think a varient of the ship is in the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ug52fz5_k
    you mean the one at 0:28, and again at 1:00? yeah that does look similar.

Hmm... at 1:25 there's a nice shot of what looks like a Sovereign variant with a bridge connecting the two nacelles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That just looks like the Typhoon at a weird angle.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No the Typhoon has a much larger nav deflector and has the doubled nacelles and this ship is too short and rounded to be a Sovereign variant. It's a pity these ships never ended up in game as anything but wrecks although I think the Aquarius is based on a Perpetual design.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks like a custom assault cruiser aka sovvie
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you mean the one at 0:28, and again at 1:00? yeah that does look similar.

Hmm... at 1:25 there's a nice shot of what looks like a Sovereign variant with a bridge connecting the two nacelles.

The NX-9something-or-other.

It's just a Noble with a pod. It showed up a lot in the early pre-release stuff. It was supposed to be Starfleet's best and latest, there was this 'Ships of the Line' article about it, but it ended up not making it into the game.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This question has been asked before, and will surely be asked again. It's an unused cruiser variant that dates back to before the game's launch. That shipyard holo hasn't changed in three years.

I used to be able to link to two nice screenshots of it in the game's gallery, but it looks like the oldest images have been purged.

Here is an Imgur gallery of the two shots of the ship I've been able to find. The saucer and hull are a match. It looks like the shipyard holo has Typhoon nacelles, though. The nacelles from the ship in those pictures made it in as part of the Noble-class.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The saucer and hull are right, in those pictures, the nacelles are different, so it is an AC variant.
    From what I gather Perpetual had intended much greater flexibility in how ship captains could mix and match parts, various engines with different abilities would each have their own unique graphic.
    They probably got rid of those pictures so they wouldn't have people asking "Why can't we fly these ships?".
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    thanatos9tthanatos9t Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is interesting that the 'new' Aquarius Class is based on Perpetual's Sacagawea class, I wonder if that means that Cryptic now has permission to use other Perpetual designs.

"I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time, no space. Just me!"
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thanatos9t wrote: »
    It is interesting that the 'new' Aquarius Class is based on Perpetual's Sacagawea class, I wonder if that means that Cryptic now has permission to use other Perpetual designs.

Pretty sure Cryptic inherited all the assets Perpetual developed for the game; so they've always been able to, they just didn't want to. To be fair, many of them don't really fit Cryptic's style very well.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Pretty sure Cryptic inherited all the assets Perpetual developed for the game; so they've always been able to, they just didn't want to. To be fair, many of them don't really fit Cryptic's style very well.
    Some of Perpetual's ideas were stupid to start with. One of them had an engineering section that looked kinda like a shoebox....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    qweeble#7491 qweeble Member Posts: 164 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    It's an old kitbash of old ships made prior to release. Some of the parts were re-used, and updated/changed to some extent, and thusly used in an assortment of ships, namely the Assault Cruisers. Other parts, like the nacelles, were completely dropped.

The trailer and other images people have posted have a similar story. These ship parts may look good at a glance, but they fall very far behind our current standard.
    I make space ships!
    Twitter! STO_JamJamz
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ah, thanks. :) BTW your avatar is hilarious. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dkstarfiredkstarfire Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some of the old designs can actually be found in the game - as floating hulks at the warp-in in deep space encounters.
    I believe a few parts of those old ships also serve as starship debris that can be found in some missions and areas.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This neatly explains why some of the foundry hulks look so weird... They're primordial relics...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    warpedcore wrote: »
    I think it's labeled as "unknown" on this picture.
    peships.jpg

...Oh hey look, it's the Ushaan.

woah some of these ships look badass :O I hope they will all be in game one day :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!