test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MACO armor (real life)

enterprisenx3enterprisenx3 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
For about month I have been wanting to start making MACO Mk XI armor and I am wondering does anyone know how to size it to myself. I am 5 feet 7.5 inches if some one can give me a hand I would appreciate it if you need any more information I will be glad to provide anything I can. Many thanks in advance.
Post edited by enterprisenx3 on

Comments

• Options
    k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1st off, use metric system, way easier, trust me, 10 is your friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    poopbang wrote: »

ok when I converted it to the metric I got 1.7018 meters
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    correction 69 inches = 1.75260 meters
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    correction 69 inches = 1.75260 meters

5'7.5" is 67.5 in, or about 1.715 m.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ok thanks for the help so far guys
  • Options
    chogokinchogokin Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    I'm not too much into the costume-making aspect of fandom, in spite of an early ambition to become a special effects makeup artist. The closest I've gotten to that is manufacturing a suit of cardboard plate armor for my brother's middle school play, many years ago. For that, I basically relied on directly measuring his arms, legs, torso, etc. with a tape measure and custom-fitting the armor pieces as I went.

You may want to consider going to a tailor and getting your own measurements taken, or having someone assist you in taking your own.

For some real insight into the costume-making art, consider the following:

http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2010/09/n7-armor-dragoncon-2010-recap.html

You'll find links to the guy's homepage and other projects if you look around. You might also be interested in his 2009 project... a Bioshock Big Daddy diving suit.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    :O that looks a lot like the MACO armor thanks for the link :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Also worth looking into is the 501st. They've been doing high-quality fan-made plastic armor as long as anyone else, if not longer.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I looked on their website but I saw no place to ask for a custom costume making :/ plus its a Star Wars group.
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I looked on their website but I saw no place to ask for a custom costume making :/ plus its a Star Wars group.

Why you gotta hate on Star Wars? :P
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why you gotta hate on Star Wars? :P

I find his lack of faith disturbing. :P
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    I find his lack of faith disturbing. :P

I have been choked by Darth Vader 17 times all my life about Star Wars has been transferred to my brain, but now if I get choked pull out my phaser and blast him XD
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    After a little digging, you can find tutorials in the forums for their satellite sites. They also discuss some non-501st costuming (they are fairly strict as to what costumes qualify for the organization), including Halo's MJOLNIR armor and tongue-in-cheek overtly-sexualized "fem-trooper" costumes. Some do orders within the group (probably particularly if one person already has a relatively difficult and universal mold constructed), but if you're looking for a fully custom build (i.e. building the MACO armor), you're probably best off learning to do it yourself.

Posting on those forums without joining the group may be a major faux pas, but you can get a lot of information by reading...

First Imperial Stormtrooper Division has a forum that is readable by non-members, and includes most of those things.
    I have been choked by Darth Vader 17 times all my life about Star Wars has been transferred to my brain, but now if I get choked pull out my phaser and blast him XD
    Because pulling out a personal energy weapon to shoot Vader with worked so well for Solo...

...At any rate, the level of quality the 501st shoots for can make costuming a rather expensive hobby.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because pulling out a personal energy weapon to shoot Vader with worked so well for Solo...

...At any rate, the level of quality the 501st shoots for can make costuming a rather expensive hobby.

As the Dresden Files proved, a sniper rifle beats magic or the force every time. Only way to stop a sniper rifle is shields which need to be kept on for a long time or lots of armor. Both have serious drawbacks. Shields drain energy so depending on the battery, it might last a few minutes to an hour. Armor causes problems in movement and Jedi and Sith prefer acrobatics.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    poopbang wrote: »

Metric just some silly system made up by the French. You really want to follow their lead? They like mimes! ;) US Customary measures is like knowing a secret code! Now that's cool.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can start here Build Some Sci Fi Armor for CHEAP : DIY

Or look into vacuum forming and fiberglassing using templates etc. Scaled miniatures and props were something I wanted to get into, but now I'm focusing more in cinematography these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    After a little digging, you can find tutorials in the forums for their satellite sites. They also discuss some non-501st costuming (they are fairly strict as to what costumes qualify for the organization), including Halo's MJOLNIR armor and tongue-in-cheek overtly-sexualized "fem-trooper" costumes. Some do orders within the group (probably particularly if one person already has a relatively difficult and universal mold constructed), but if you're looking for a fully custom build (i.e. building the MACO armor), you're probably best off learning to do it yourself.

Posting on those forums without joining the group may be a major faux pas, but you can get a lot of information by reading...

First Imperial Stormtrooper Division has a forum that is readable by non-members, and includes most of those things.

I read there forms and thanks for the link this has helped me in another big step to creating my armor, Thanks guys for the support
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are couple of ways of doing it.

Are you doing it for 1 shot deal? multiple wear? durability?

501st uses polythermal plastic. It can be heated and mold (vacuum seal) to the shape. It is harder to work with and expensive.

Another method you can do is plaster mesh or cardboard/duck tape method. You can shape the cardboard pieces and use duck tape to seal the shape. then you can use plaster to shape it. It is a little "heavier" but cheaper and materials are easier to get.

Once you get the pieces, you can use a body suit for the base with sew on velcro. you can add/remove pieces easier that way (don't forget to reinforce the velcro pieces on your suit)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In order to get a better idea of what you're looking for, we need you to answer a simple question for us. Would you say you more resemble this, or this?
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    preechrsa wrote: »
    In order to get a better idea of what you're looking for, we need you to answer a simple question for us. Would you say you more resemble this, or this?

definitely the second one WTH did you get the first one???? :eek: