test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans -- Welcome to Our World :)

ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Klingon Discussion
An Open Letter to Prospective Future Romulan Players...

I would ask you to take a look around these forums. I invite you to go into the General Discussion and Federation sections of these forums and attempt to get a feel as to how your faction will be welcomed in Star Trek Online.

This morning in the General Discussion forum, I read a thread that suggests your faction belongs solely with the KDF. It was started by a Federation player, and has the support of several Federation players. The sense of that thread is essentially this: "let's clump all of the minorities together...it's for their own good..."

Go into the Federation forums...and you will find little, if any mention of what changes the Romulan expansion will bring to the game other than the possibility of new Federation ship releases as a potential side-benefit of the expansion. From this, you gain the perspective of a gaming player base that is all about entitlement -- they feel that they are the majority, therefore they have priority for content. To players such as these, the Romulan expansion is more about the possibility of new Federation ship releases than a true game expansion -- after all, the Romulan ships will not be Federation ships and won't be piloted by Federation captains...even if you are allied to them, you will always be at the back of the bus for all intents and purposes.

Now take a look around the Klingon forums. On the first page fo Klingon Gameplay you see that unlike the other forums, several of the threads are about the upcoming Romulan expansion. There are several positive welcoming threads, and geniune curiosity about what your debut into STO will bring. The atmosphere and environment within the KDF forum is very different from other forums.

Ultimately, you will be faced with a choice in this game of whether to join the KDF or the Federation. I would simply ask that when the time for that choice rolls around, consider the words and attitudes on display between the two main player bases, and ask yourself where you are likely to be more comfortable in terms of gameplay. The KDF will embrace you as true partners, because we already can see that in terms of gameplay, your situation is going to be exactly the same as ours -- a minority playerbase that will likely suffer from benign neglect once the newness of your introduction to STO wears off. We have been there, and we already know what is in store for future updates in regards to your vessels and any content that might be deemed "Romulan".

Sure -- the Federation side of the house is far more developed. They have more ships, more missions, and more opportunity for things like STFs and starbase Tiers due to their overwhelming population base. But will that be shared with you as a Federation ally? Maybe. Maybe not. There are already some posts in threads on the Federation side that are protesting the idea that fleet members might have to make sacrifices in order for you to get your ship tiers at a Federation starbase...this probably is not the majority opinion of the Federation playerbase...but on the other hand, you do not see any such sentiment expressed in the KDF forums.

Your choice will likely boil down to this: to have access to a greater wealth of items and possibly content on the Federation side, but be treated as a sub-partner or minority and expected to conform with the Federation and lose your independence; or to join with the KDF and be welcomed with open arms, and treated as a true equal partner -- because in terms of game population, that is what you would be on the KDF side -- an equal partner in terms of numbers with your KDF allies...whereas in the Federation, you will likely be less than 10% of the playerbase.

The KDF are the underdogs of STO -- but we don't let the disparity in numbers depress us -- to us, the philosophy is that when outnumbered, a warrior is given the opportunity to excell...and besides, it is a target-rich environment. As Romulans, you are already in that mindset as well. You are also underdogs. Join us, and together we can show those arrogant Federation dogs just how unwise it is to disregard the threat we represent. United, we can become a force within the game; divided, our voices are lost in the overly-loud whines of the Federation player base.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• kratos20thkratos20th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow, Thats some serious propaganda you've typed up.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    This morning in the General Discussion forum, I read a thread that suggests your faction belongs solely with the KDF. It was started by a Federation player, and has the support of several Federation players. The sense of that thread is essentially this: "let's clump all of the minorities together...it's for their own good..."

You're kidding right? Why on Earth would anyone do that? I mean seriously we are all players, gamers and/or Trek fans. The Federation is supposed to be about acceptance and fairness for all. I know a lot of Federation players and fans simply miss the whole idea of that in this game, but seriously why would one even start a thread like that. *shakes head*
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • trintrektrontrintrektron Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Long live the Empire! Qapla!
    I thought I took the Blue Pill.......:(
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You're kidding right? Why on Earth would anyone do that? I mean seriously we are all players, gamers and/or Trek fans. The Federation is supposed to be about acceptance and fairness for all. I know a lot of Federation players and fans simply miss the whole idea of that in this game, but seriously why would one even start a thread like that. *shakes head*

He aint kidding and if the thread itself wasn't bad enough then you should see some of the comments, they range from not understanding basic MMO concepts (open world PvP, hint: it doesnt mean you can be killed randomly by anyone) to outright hate for the KDF.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=601501
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2013

He is not kidding. Oddly enough the KDF is far more STAR TREKish than the Fed side. I guess that players on our side are real Star Trek fans while players on the Fed side have more people who are just playing for fun and have no idea what Star Trek stands for. Gene Roddenberry would be sad to read some of the forums on the Blue side. How can they write things full of hate, bigotry, racsim and play a faction that is the exact opposite?

It is quite obvious that my Romulan chars will align with the KDF. And remember that long ago, the Romulans and Klingons were allies.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • magnumstarmagnumstar Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    He aint kidding and if the thread itself wasn't bad enough then you should see some of the comments, they range from not understanding basic MMO concepts (open world PvP, hint: it doesnt mean you can be killed randomly by anyone) to outright hate for the KDF.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=601501

I just got through reading the link above and wow. Really? Are players on the blue side really that bigoted and selfish? Its time Cryptic stopped feeding these pampered ingrates. Its not too late for Cryptic to do what they ask and have the Romulans all join the KDF, at least that way we may have the numbers the Feds have and then they'd no longer be the favored son.
  • mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ztempest wrote: »

This morning in the General Discussion forum, I read a thread that suggests your faction belongs solely with the KDF. It was started by a player with an inflated view of the importance of his own opinion

That seems a little more accurate.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can tell it's a bunch of Fed fan boys due to comments like:
    p41nm4k3r wrote: »
    I have a better idea, remove the KDF from the game entirely.
    p41nm4k3r wrote: »
    You mean the KDF conqueres the Federation.
    Only if they are deleted afterwards.

So much for acceptance, they totally miss the point of the Federation, general acceptance and tolerance for all.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's keep in mind that there are nut jobs on both side of the STO neutral zone. One person, ten people, even one-hundreds people don't represent the entire fan-base on either side. So let's not turn clouds into dragons. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Let's keep in mind that there are nut jobs on both side of the STO neutral zone. One person, ten people, even one-hundreds people don't represent the entire fan-base on either side. So let's not turn clouds into dragons. :)

True, but it is there though. Even if it doesn't represent a whole side, it's still the fact that is what is being posted here on the forum, and it's permanently locked into a post for all, including the devs, to see.

Even though there are plenty of awesome Fed players, and awesome KDF players (that aren't just farming alts). There are also I'm sure plenty of not-so-awesome Fed and not-so-awesome KDF as well.

However, regardless of how many or how few, the fact remains THAT is what is being posted. THAT is the image they are giving out on the forums.

Maybe it is turning 'clouds into dragons', but it is what it is here on the forum.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    He is not kidding. Oddly enough the KDF is far more STAR TREKish than the Fed side. I guess that players on our side are real Star Trek fans while players on the Fed side have more people who are just playing for fun and have no idea what Star Trek stands for. Gene Roddenberry would be sad to read some of the forums on the Blue side. How can they write things full of hate, bigotry, racsim and play a faction that is the exact opposite?

Sad but true, that is the reason I switched to KDF. I realy would like to play on FED side, but the missions alone just showing none of the high ideals none I used from Star Trek. It's all about killing ... and more killing ... and then ... yeah, killing more. I cannot show mercy in those missions but need to kill all enemies restless. Phaser on stun? Target their weapons and let them flee? No way.

I realized, that I can play this only on Klingon side, where this agressive and warrior like behavior is at least canon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xiphenon wrote: »
    Sad but true, that is the reason I switched to KDF. I realy would like to play on FED side, but the missions alone just showing none of the high ideals none I used from Star Trek. It's all about killing ... and more killing ... and then ... yeah, killing more. I cannot show mercy in those missions but need to kill all enemies restless. Phaser on stun? Target their weapons and let them flee? No way.

I realized, that I can play this only on Klingon side, where this agressive and warrior like behavior is at least canon.

When I read your post, it felt like reading something I have posted myself. That is exactly how I felt and how I became KDF after joining STO.

Or, to put it in terms of Cryptic's mathematics, since Fed. is 85% of the population in STO, they are granted 85% of the available nut jobs in STO for their side. :P
    It's as simple as that. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited April 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    True, but it is there though. Even if it doesn't represent a whole side, it's still the fact that is what is being posted here on the forum, and it's permanently locked into a post for all, including the devs, to see.

Even though there are plenty of awesome Fed players, and awesome KDF players (that aren't just farming alts). There are also I'm sure plenty of not-so-awesome Fed and not-so-awesome KDF as well.

However, regardless of how many or how few, the fact remains THAT is what is being posted. THAT is the image they are giving out on the forums.

Maybe it is turning 'clouds into dragons', but it is what it is here on the forum.
    And I think you are easily overlooking the rotten things said by KDF players about Fed players, which are still being posted here on the forum, and it, too, is permanently locked into a post for all, including devs, to see, etc, etc, etc.

So, as I said above, we have nut jobs on both sides, both posting, both insulting, both leaving messages for all to see. One is no better or worse than the other.

If you're going to spend your life constantly offended by what some nutty stranger says on an MMO forum you're going to live a very frustrated life. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I find funny are all the PvE heroes in that thread saying PvP should be done away with. They seem to think that one grind after another is a satisfactory experience, along with shooting dull-witted NPCs.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And I think you are easily overlooking the rotten things said by KDF players about Fed players, which are still being posted here on the forum, and it, too, is permanently locked into a post for all, including devs, to see, etc, etc, etc.

So, as I said above, we have nut jobs on both sides, both posting, both insulting, both leaving messages for all to see. One is no better or worse than the other.

If you're going to spend your life constantly offended by what some nutty stranger says on an MMO forum you're going to live a very frustrated life. :)

I wasn't ignoring that. I know there's been plenty of hate on both sides. However, at least when a KDF player 'hates' a Fed player, there's a bit more reasoning behind it than just mere 'whining' as so many seem to think. I'm not saying it's right though that there is all this hate between the two groups.

The hate isn't the way to go. A united playerbase is what the game needs, but it isn't what we have. Instead nearly everyone is stuck in their 'special interest' groups and mostly care about only themselves. That applies to anyone, and only seems to be getting worse.

You're right in that there are nutsos on both sides, I won't deny it. But where did it seem like I was 'offended' anywhere in my post? Please don't put words in my mouth.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited April 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    You're right in that there are nutsos on both sides, I won't deny it. But where did it seem like I was 'offended' anywhere in my post? Please don't put words in my mouth.
    You certainly seemed to be taking an aggressive stance in the post I quoted: you were the one using all the capital "THAT"s. :)

My reply wasn't only directed only at you, though. My reply was simply saying that no one should get worked-up over bla bla on a gaming forum. There too much hate on this site already. If we get POed every time some idiot says something stupid we're never going to get anywhere.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yup, I observed this same sentiment even in the general discussion section. Some guy wanted to know what the Feds were going to get out of the Romulan expansion, implying that the Feds should get something out of every big update. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the Fed entitlement myself. This game isn't just about them, and the game needs to expand in other ways besides just Federation gameplay to remain healthy.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif