test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I don't get you guys. The Romulan Republic IS a faction. No ifs, ands or buts.

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And being an apologist fanboi does not win you any friends or gain you any favors.
    The Romulan Fraction is already a sad joke.

Woah woah woah. Nobody should be calling anyone a fanboy. Its well established that resorting to calling someone a fanboy puts you on the losing side of an argument as does most name calling.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    It was stated by dstahl that you have to choose a side in the war. And since that war is kdf vs fed your gonna end up fighting yourselves as player romulans. Which makes no sense what so ever. They aren't neutral!l they aren't even a united faction and neutral with themselves.

Every1 doing a cross faction alliances to fight the Borg makes sense as your all trying to prevent total annihilation and being assimilated in to the Borg collective.

I understand what you're saying, but what I'm saying is when I roll out my Romulan char. I will not consider myslef as someone who will help the Feds. to kill the Klingons.
    I'll be walking on New Romulus without any other Romulan trying to shoot me. I'll see it as my Romulan Republic being allied to both and me receiving a mission to join forces with the Fed. fleet to fight the Tholians, Borg or some other major threat.
    There is nothing in the FEs that will request me to shoot another 'Republic' Romulan that stands next to KDF warriors while I march with Starfleet officers by my side.
    There is nothing on end-game level that will require me to engage in killing other Romulans that are soldiers of the Romulan Republic.

There is only the PvP issue. This is actually what I'm most bummed with, I was eager to have a 3-way PvP. But, PvP for me is not rellevant regarding RP or storywise. Since in PvP we have the most miraculous combinations fight against even more miraculous combinations of forces.
    What I'm saying is, from my pov, on my Rom. char I can very much ignore that there even is a war between the Fed. & KDF, just as some players are already doing.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Story wise the Game never takes into consideration you are playing with 1,000 people...So as for the story all they ever tell is One person saved us from a Doomsday weapon...one person did all the things we did in game, one Klingon went to hell and back. (you're all welcome BTW:P).

As for PVP that's not story related its a big NATO exercise with the good friends the KDF and FED who put the war on hold to help everyone.

As for the Romulan Republic, from the story it's just one Romulan who is getting help from either FED or KDF from their perspective, not the RR taking sides and fighting each other and taking sides in the War between the The Empire and Federation and fighting each other out.

Everything that happens, happens to YOUR character only , from how you play it. The story does not care about the other guy...in STF's its a team thing, but from the Story POV it's YOU and those other 4 guys are just your backup....which would explain the Kirk complex some players have.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Story wise the Game never takes into consideration you are playing with 1,000 people...So as for the story all they ever tell is One person saved us from a Doomsday weapon...one person did all the things we did in game, one Klingon went to hell and back. (you're all welcome BTW:P).

As for PVP that's not story related its a big NATO exercise with the good friends the KDF and FED who put the war on hold to help everyone.

As for the Romulan Republic, from the story it's just one Romulan who is getting help from either FED or KDF from their perspective, not the RR taking sides and fighting each other and taking sides in the War between the The Empire and Federation and fighting each other out.

Everything that happens, happens to YOUR character only , from how you play it. The story does not care about the other guy...in STF's its a team thing, but from the Story POV it's YOU and those other 4 guys are just your backup....which would explain the Kirk complex some players have.

Well at least someone gets it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

True and wrong. When playing STF, according to the lore, you side with other "captains". You are not alone, even if, according to the lore, those captains are just random people, not as important as you. They are your backup, but they are still Fed/KDF.
    PVP is not an exercise, it's the frontline. According to the little text you can read while orbiting the system, we are supposed to fight for the planets/stuff. You'll fight unamed Romulan captain, as a Romulan. And they will be part of the Republic. Backup or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They wouldn't have their own unique species (Remans and whatever might come)
    They wound't have there own backstory (New Romulus prequel
    they wouldn't have their own ships (Fed/ KDF don't get to fly Romulan ships)
    They wouldn't have their own uniforms
    They wouldn't have their own home base
    They wouldn't have their own UI
    They would be playing KDF Fed missions from 1-50

Everything I said above! So yes, it would have been a huge difference.

Bout everything could be added to a faction without giving us false hope of getting a new faction, we aren't getting a new faction we are just getting a special and fancy faction expansion.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    True and wrong. When playing STF, according to the lore, you side with other "captains". You are not alone, even if, according to the lore, those captains are just random people, not as important as you. They are your backup, but they are still Fed/KDF.
    PVP is not an exercise, it's the frontline. According to the little text you can read while orbiting the system, we are supposed to fight for the planets/stuff. You'll fight unamed Romulan captain, as a Romulan. And they will be part of the Republic. Backup or not.

They are backup, they are other Captains whatever names you want to give them...but from the STORY POV they did not do the things you did ...you did them...that's my point.

PVP from the Story POV you and those other guys are fighting a KDF hero and his other guys.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ask yourself this: at the end of the day, what would the difference have been if Romulans were simply added to the available species list when creating a new character as a Klingon or Federation character?

Not much, if any.

A lot. At least 40 levels of content, ships, uniforms, UI, skills, etc. Try playing a joined trill and compare the difference. I suppose giving the ability to be a Romulan is too much for people. Maybe, it would have been better if they charged to play as a Romulan just like they do playable species.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is a Alt 'faction" for fed and kdf players, there are no fleets and starbases, the Romulan player base will be splint between two existing faction and fleets.

And why would a group of refugees, who need the help of outsiders, have fleets and starbases? Follow the story on New Romulus and play the missions... the direction this is headed follows the story of the Romulan separatists.

Just like many countries that ally themselves with larger military powers for protection, sometimes its not what you want but what you need to do at the time. Nothing says it wont change in the future, but for now, they aren't strong enough to stand alone and alliances can change. No one had fleets and starbases a year ago but they were still factions... the difference here is a new government is forming and they do not have the resources to stand without the help of forging alliances. Governments do it all the time, even ones that are racist bigots, to get the resources they need.

The story works and isn't going to break the gameplay. I can only imagine what would happen to the Klingon faction with only 18% of player base being further divided into a rommie faction. This shouldn't have to be the case but the reality is that it is the case. The queues are terrible in that faction already and would only be made worse. So for now this sounds like a good balance for the game and flows with the story. Maybe the numbers will show us otherwise after its released and no one has ruled out separate fleets and starbases but a fledgling society wouldn't be ready at this point to build them.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm getting really annoyed with the naysayers on the forums about the Romulans. Before the announcement was made, hardly anyone truly believed a Romulan faction of any shape was coming. Lo and behold, it is - but because it doesn't conform to people's pre-concieved expectations, there's a firestorm on the forums.

Think of this from a story perspective. The Empire left after Hobus was a shadow of its former self. In Mine Enemy, one of the Romulan Refugees puts this quite explicitly:

"The Empire?

Bah! What Empire? Our empire turned to dust with the loss of the homeworld.

If you're rich or in the military, then maybe there is something. I hear that the people in Sela's shining city in the Rator system live quite well ... as long as they obey her commands."

The Romulan Republic under D'Tan is nothing like its imperial predecessor. For crying out loud, they're living with Remans, and treating them as equals! Romulans in the Republic are a more tolerant people, tempered by the hardships they have endured. D'Tan and Obisek invited the Federation and KDF to New Romulus to assist them in getting set up, and if they require that, the Republic will certainly need assistance on the galactic stage.

Romulan fans are longing for a time before Abrams destroyed Romulus. Unfortunately, time has passed, and for better or for worse Romulans will never again be the same in this timeline.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    And why would a group of refugees, who need the help of outsiders, have fleets and starbases? Follow the story on New Romulus and play the missions... the direction this is headed follows the story of the Romulan separatists.

Just like many countries that ally themselves with larger military powers for protection, sometimes its not what you want but what you need to do at the time. Nothing says it wont change in the future, but for now, they aren't strong enough to stand alone and alliances can change. No one had fleets and starbases a year ago but they were still factions... the difference here is a new government is forming and they do not have the resources to stand without the help of forging alliances. Governments do it all the time, even ones that are racist bigots, to get the resources they need.

The story works and isn't going to break the gameplay. I can only imagine what would happen to the Klingon faction with only 18% of player base being further divided into a rommie faction. This shouldn't have to be the case but the reality is that it is the case. The queues are terrible in that faction already and would only be made worse. So for now this sounds like a good balance for the game and flows with the story. Maybe the numbers will show us otherwise after its released and no one has ruled out separate fleets and starbases but a fledgling society wouldn't be ready at this point to build them.

I understand the reasons they did , I'm not saying its a bad thing if they are right. My point is that its not really a faction, its a race you can pick "like the pandareons in WoW" and you then get to chose your faction at a certain level. A faction is a united team of players, it has been like that in all other mmos I have played.
    edited March 2013
    zadama wrote: »
    I'm getting really annoyed with the naysayers on the forums about the Romulans. Before the announcement was made, hardly anyone truly believed a Romulan faction of any shape was coming. Lo and behold, it is - but because it doesn't conform to people's pre-concieved expectations, there's a firestorm on the forums.

Think of this from a story perspective. The Empire left after Hobus was a shadow of its former self. In Mine Enemy, one of the Romulan Refugees puts this quite explicitly:

"The Empire?

Bah! What Empire? Our empire turned to dust with the loss of the homeworld.

If you're rich or in the military, then maybe there is something. I hear that the people in Sela's shining city in the Rator system live quite well ... as long as they obey her commands."

The Romulan Republic under D'Tan is nothing like its imperial predecessor. For crying out loud, they're living with Remans, and treating them as equals! Romulans in the Republic are a more tolerant people, tempered by the hardships they have endured. D'Tan and Obisek invited the Federation and KDF to New Romulus to assist them in getting set up, and if they require that, the Republic will certainly need assistance on the galactic stage.

Romulan fans are longing for a time before Abrams destroyed Romulus. Unfortunately, time has passed, and for better or for worse Romulans will never again be the same in this timeline.

I understand what the story is in STO, but they pretty much yank out what was cool about Romulans, the fact that were feared villains, many Romulan fans like them being the enigmatic bad guys of trek. We have to play hero Romulans.
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys realize this is all still a couple months away, right? A LOT can change within that time during the Beta process.
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just another way to prejudge something I haven't even played yet and have no intention of giving a chance :)

Seriously folks, many of the forumites with their relentlessly negative attitudes make me ashamed of this community.

Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, but for one thing: the expansion isn't even out yet. For another: a great many posters have a personal axe to grind as evident from past responses and threads.

Nothing Cryptic does is going to make you happy. You have already made up your mind to hate it.

It's new content in a game I enjoy. I will be able to create a Romulan character and fly a Romulan ship. I look forward to it.

So many STO players/forum posters are spoiled and whiny. I play Champions Online also. THOSE players have at least X5 more right to complain and do it less than a fraction than what goes on over here. This is shameful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously folks, many of the forumites with their relentlessly negative attitudes make me ashamed of this community.

I could say much the same of those that shamelessly support Cryptic's bad design, management and implementation - not to mention shocking QA and customer service.

Despite this game being 'F2P' plenty of Cryptic's customers have given them plenty of money - that money pays their salaries and is what they use to develop things like LoR and New Romulus - but they're not developing these things for us - they're developing them for the lapsed and new customers that they hope to have - and they're using your money and (once upon a time) mine to do it. I believe that's wrong.

They're making more money from the players than ever before, they're less accountable to their customers than ever before - and they justify it by saying 'but hey! it's free!'

It's not free. Somebody is paying for your good time in STO and it might just be some of the players that are ticked off with this Romulan 'faction'. If you don't care then what does it matter? It's not like you're going to lose anything.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Did you read the "Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus" because I suggest you re-read it carefully

They have their own ships, their own missions, their own gear, their own faction.

The Klingons and Feds wont be able to play the new missions, or with the new ships you know!

yes! I am read that few times, coz ,I am can't belive they make that TRIBBLE!just can't belive it is true what they call romulan faction.
    It is just new content for federation & klingons

For glory of Romulan Star Empire,main romulan not going to serving remans & their allies as citizen of Reman Republic.
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • mictacmictac Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People will qq to qq no matter what they do and as developers they know this. In the end its startrek and its about the fanboys which is a good thing becuase im a huge fanboy of trek.
    edited March 2013
    I could say much the same of those that shamelessly support Cryptic's bad design, management and implementation - not to mention shocking QA and customer service.

Despite this game being 'F2P' plenty of Cryptic's customers have given them plenty of money - that money pays their salaries and is what they use to develop things like LoR and New Romulus - but they're not developing these things for us - they're developing them for the lapsed and new customers that they hope to have - and they're using your money and (once upon a time) mine to do it. I believe that's wrong.

They're making more money from the players than ever before, they're less accountable to their customers than ever before - and they justify it by saying 'but hey! it's free!'

It's not free. Somebody is paying for your good time in STO and it might just be some of the players that are ticked off with this Romulan 'faction'. If you don't care then what does it matter? It's not like you're going to lose anything.

You could say those things, but you would be stating an opinion and some of it I disagree with. Criticism is fine, but you should give something a chance first before raving.

I have purchased things form the c-store both in Champions Online and here, but more so in C.O. That money I spent was likely used to develop things here and Neverwinter. I am not about to take to the forums with a pitchfork and torch and tell the powers that be how they should be investing the money I spent however.

This game IS free. No one is forcing you to make purchases or play. I have bought/buy things. I may or may not do so in the future.

I will actually play the new content before coming to the forums and judging it. How much I do/don't spend will have zero bearing on this. Please stop trying to imply that you have paid your money for my good times.

But I do agree with that last bit, I am not going to lose anything. Well... except respect for this fanbase that continues to give Star Trek fans and online gamers a bad reputation. But go forth and spread the impression, it is your right, no matter how much you do or don't spend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    You could say those things, but you would be stating an opinion and some of it I disagree with. Criticism is fine, but you should give something a chance first before raving.

Ric - I don't want to get into an argument with you - you don't know me, I don't know you - but I've been a part of this community for a very long time now and once I was an ardent supporter of Cryptic and this game.

That's changed because Cryptic has changed - and people shrug and say 'well that's business' or 'it's free - what do you expect?'

But I make no apologies for any of my posts - I call it as I see it and this 'faction' isn't what the Romulan fans wanted - and it never will be. It's not what the KDF wanted either. And the Feds? Well, I doubt they care.

Those that are happy with this are happy purely because they're getting some new content - and I get that - but so long as we're giving them our money, we can and should expect them to do their very best.

And this isn't it. And Season 7/New Romulus wasn't either - it's time Cryptic had a proper dialogue with the community that's paying their salaries rather than working from 'metrics'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Ric - I don't want to get into an argument with you - you don't know me, I don't know you - but I've been a part of this community for a very long time now and once I was an ardent supporter of Cryptic and this game.

That's changed because Cryptic has changed - and people shrug and say 'well that's business' or 'it's free - what do you expect?'

But I make no apologies for any of my posts - I call it as I see it and this 'faction' isn't what the Romulan fans wanted - and it never will be. It's not what the KDF wanted either. And the Feds? Well, I doubt they care.

Those that are happy with this are happy purely because they're getting some new content - and I get that - but so long as we're giving them our money, we can and should expect them to do their very best.

And this isn't it. And Season 7/New Romulus wasn't either - it's time Cryptic had a proper dialogue with the community that's paying their salaries rather than working from 'metrics'.

That's it right there. You (and you are not alone) seem to be confusing your views with the voice of every Romulan fan, Federation and KDF player. I am all of the above and your expressed opinions are not an echo of mine. You guys are not the guardians and champions of the one true way no matter how much you cloak bitterness in self-righteousness. You have been wronged in your particular view, I understand.

I have been around here for a while too, I just recently started posting to forums and I am regretting that more and more every day.

And making up your mind about something before you get a hands on with it based solely on what preconceived notions you have (due to past experience or what have you) is prejudice.

"their very best", "And this isn't it" You can't possibly know that yet.

But I don't want to argue either. I wanted it known that you and those of your ilk do not represent me. I am not alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't claim to represent anyone other then myself nor do I believe that anyone can claim to represent others without their explicit permission. It is my opinion, and one clearly at odds with the developers, that an in game polity not capable of forming their own fleets is not a Faction. This is not to say that they are not "independent."
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have to wonder why, besides the pomp and ceremony of "it's too big to be a season!" and its publicitygasm, they didn't release Romulans to athe C-store as a new playable species for 1200 Z, along with a 4-5 'adventure pack' episodes for undetermined Z (3500 for all, 1000 per?), followed by the inevitable slew of green ships and premium costuming and stuff.

It's not a faction, it's what we're getting, but the content is 'free'.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    I have to wonder why, besides the pomp and ceremony of "it's too big to be a season!" and its publicitygasm, they didn't release Romulans to athe C-store as a new playable species for 1200 Z, along with a 4-5 'adventure pack' episodes for undetermined Z (3500 for all, 1000 per?), followed by the inevitable slew of green ships and premium costuming and stuff.

It's not a faction, it's what we're getting, but the content is 'free'.

That is an upside, but I can still see why people are upset. :/
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Has everyone lost sight of how much more this is than what Klingons were at launch? Or that Klingons are getting expanded considerably in the process?
    edited March 2013
    That's it right there. You (and you are not alone) seem to be confusing your views with the voice of every Romulan fan, Federation and KDF player. I am all of the above and your expressed opinions are not an echo of mine. You guys are not the guardians and champions of the one true way no matter how much you cloak bitterness in self-righteousness. You have been wronged in your particular view, I understand.

I have been around here for a while too, I just recently started posting to forums and I am regretting that more and more every day.

That's fine Ric, I'll keep fighting your corner (and all the players corners) anyway.

Because you know what? If I don't do it - and if those other players that care about this game don't do it then right now you'd be running STFs for zero Dilithium and paying Dilithium into 20 hour Rep System projects so your can pay Dilithium for gear.

You'd be short on Fleet Marks because Cryptic yanked a major source of them without having any plan to reinstate them.

Maybe you'd have been screwed over even more on the EDC->Dilithium conversion since you weren't testing the conversion rate on Tribble and talking to other people in-game and on the forums about the bad deal players were getting.

Or perhaps you wouldn't have gotten any compensation for the Emblems->Dil conversion that also screwed everybody over.

I claim no responsibility for any of the small victories this community has achieved in getting Cryptic to rethink their attitudes towards their community - but I did my best to help make sure they were heard.

What did you do Ric?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Has everyone lost sight of how much more this is than what Klingons were at launch? Or that Klingons are getting expanded considerably in the process?

Big difference is that the KDF despite having nothing at launch was still their own faction, Team RED. The Romulans are not a faction, its not a team of players , its a race choice that has unique content for FED and KDF players.
  • tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That's fine Ric, I'll keep fighting your corner (and all the players corners) anyway.

Because you know what? If I don't do it - and if those other players that care about this game don't do it then right now you'd be running STFs for zero Dilithium and paying Dilithium into 20 hour Rep System projects so your can pay Dilithium for gear.

You'd be short on Fleet Marks because Cryptic yanked a major source of them without having any plan to reinstate them.

Maybe you'd have been screwed over even more on the EDC->Dilithium conversion since you weren't testing the conversion rate on Tribble and talking to other people in-game and on the forums about the bad deal players were getting.

Or perhaps you wouldn't have gotten any compensation for the Emblems->Dil conversion that also screwed everybody over.

I claim no responsibility for any of the small victories this community has achieved in getting Cryptic to rethink their attitudes towards their community - but I did my best to help make sure they were heard.

What did you do Ric?

Your arrogance is nauseating, whether you suffix it with the claim that you take no responsibility for the afforelisted 'accomplishments' or not.
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zadama wrote: »

That's exactly the point. The prospect of playing the gormless, feckless New Romulans who can't even chase pig-rabbits without the help of Starfleet Admirals... Fans of Romulans want at least something remaining of what they were.

There are a lot of different ways the RSE could have changed. The RR could even still be explicitly heroic and maintain the shadow and mystery that the Romulan fanbase is attracted to in the first place. But that contradicts what's already implemented in the game.
    SQUIRREL!
    edited March 2013

What did you do Ric?

I thought you didn't want to argue?

First you implied that the money you've spent in game is paying my way. Now you imply that to not agree with you is proof I don't care about the game. Get over yourself.

Thank you for your efforts helping the defenseless masses Lancelot. I owe you nothing. I need not explain one single thing I have/haven't done to you.

I AM done with going back and forth with you however. Feel free to make another post as I am certain you will need to have the last word. Do not expect a response though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Big difference is that the KDF despite having nothing at launch was still their own faction, Team RED. The Romulans are not a faction, its not a team of players , its a race choice that has unique content for FED and KDF players.

And this is the crux of the matter which many Romulan fans are upset over. It's not simply a matter of semantics, as some people who are completely satisfied by the decision to have Romulans be more of a racial choice than an actual faction choice, seem to be fine with believing.