test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Romulan] Which faction will you ally with?

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Federation.

The Fed-Romulan alliance makes sense from a canon standpoint, the KDF-Romulans does not.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Federation.

The Fed-Romulan alliance makes sense from a canon standpoint, the KDF-Romulans does not.

Just out of curiosity: Why not? They've been allies at least 3 (well 2.5) times before...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Neither. I'll play to level 10, and when I get stonewalled there by the stupid 'choice', I'll just stop playing that character.

It's a shame that the hybrid option is locked behind a paywall. Combined with the Reman being a reputation system unlock and the inevitable liberated borg being lifetime only (seriously, two species of a four-species faction being restricted to paying players? The heck?!?) I don't see many options here. I think that playing a Vulcan-Romulan hybrid would be interesting, too bad I won't be able to.

Yeah,.. I wanted to make Romulan/betazoid hybrid.. but now that they are removing the alien option for silver players that seems no longer an option. All my other character are alien due to the more custom options. Am I not going to be able to play alien anymore on any faction or is it only the romulan side?
    edited March 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity: Why not? They've been allies at least 3 (well 2.5) times before...

The current ridgy klingons still seem to dislike romulans in the shows. The augment ones were the friends with the Romulans.

But, apart from this, the real reason why they feel more like Federation is that the Romulan republic under D'Tan feel like a federation like society.

These Romulans seem friendly, and are not space elf conans who drink romulan ale and head-butt klingons expertly.

Mind, if the Romulan Republic was Fed only and there was a Romulan Raiders faction with romulans as described as above, they would be totally KDF material.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Plans at the moment: None. I'll see how far I could play without joining either fraction with the romulan char & will continue focus on my klingon / federation char.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At the risk of being burned at the stake, I can agree with Cryptic's decision.

From a storyline point of view New Romulus is not in a position to stand on their own feet yet. They are still in the process of moving into their new home and pretty much relying on the Feds and the KDF to do all the heavy lifting. It does make sense that the option for Romulan toons to pursue a career in the Federation or the Empire would crop up.

From a business point of view bear in mind that all this content is free. You can still create and play a Romulan/Reman, you'll still get the ships and unique content. On top of this you're getting plenty of other new features as well. I can't criticise Cryptic for giving me all this for free, only to go on a rage because I can't do the same copy & paste missions as a 'true' Romulan.

So all that aside, I will probably choose KDF.

I've played through the Fed content a few times now levelling characters and I'm bored of the missions now. I've only had 1 playthrough of the KDF content, and the faction will become a full one too - so I aim to play through all the new content as a Reman I reckon.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    At the risk of being burned at the stake, I can agree with Cryptic's decision.

From a storyline point of view New Romulus is not in a position to stand on their own feet yet. They are still in the process of moving into their new home and pretty much relying on the Feds and the KDF to do all the heavy lifting. It does make sense that the option for Romulan toons to pursue a career in the Federation or the Empire would crop up.

From a business point of view bear in mind that all this content is free. You can still create and play a Romulan/Reman, you'll still get the ships and unique content. On top of this you're getting plenty of other new features as well. I can't criticise Cryptic for giving me all this for free, only to go on a rage because I can't do the same copy & paste missions as a 'true' Romulan.

So all that aside, I will probably choose KDF.

I've played through the Fed content a few times now levelling characters and I'm bored of the missions now. I've only had 1 playthrough of the KDF content, and the faction will become a full one too - so I aim to play through all the new content as a Reman I reckon.
    Keep in mind that New Romulus is only in a position that it 'can't stand on it's own two feet yet' because Cryptic wrote them that way Before the Reputation system the Romulans had the RSE which had survived the Supernova and was beginning to rebuild after a few decades. It's also a bit counter-intuitive to rebuilding to send your ships and solidiers to fight on both sides of the bloody KDF/Federation war.

They are already talking about squeezing more moeny out of this. Hybrid species will be locked behind the paywall of Gold/Lifetime (despite Liverated Borg already filling that niche), and Remans will require resources into the Reputation system. They are already talking about implementing zen-store items and even a romulan lockbox that would give romulan ships to the KDF and Feds (and not jsut fed/kdf aligned rommies either, we are talking klingons and andorians gettign ahold of warbirds). Crypric has already thoguht out how they are going to make money off of this, perhaps thoguht it out a bit too well. none of these things are free. Even if you are F2P, that dzen from the exchange came from someone, so soemone is paying for the content. regardless, even if the massive corner cutting Cryptic did in order to shoehorn in a more kid-friendly Romulan faction into the game with as little effort as possible-that doesn't mean doign a slipshod job is admirable in any degree. There are things people expected fro ma Romulan faction, and Cryptic has taken it and run in the opposite direction of what many people wanted.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They are already talking about squeezing more moeny out of this. Hybrid species will be locked behind the paywall of Gold/Lifetime (despite Liverated Borg already filling that niche), and Remans will require resources into the Reputation system. They are already talking about implementing zen-store items and even a romulan lockbox that would give romulan ships to the KDF and Feds (and not jsut fed/kdf aligned rommies either, we are talking klingons and andorians gettign ahold of warbirds). Crypric has already thoguht out how they are going to make money off of this, perhaps thoguht it out a bit too well. none of these things are free. Even if you are F2P, that dzen from the exchange came from someone, so soemone is paying for the content. regardless, even if the massive corner cutting Cryptic did in order to shoehorn in a more kid-friendly Romulan faction into the game with as little effort as possible-that doesn't mean doign a slipshod job is admirable in any degree. There are things people expected fro ma Romulan faction, and Cryptic has taken it and run in the opposite direction of what many people wanted.
    You wrote all that when I can some up an answer in seven words.

Cryptic have (once again) screwed us over. :)

You are right with what you've said though. Shame!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2013
    You know, giving us rom ships in lockboxes solves the problem at a fundamental level, there is no need to roll romulan at all. just get the ship from the lockbox.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know, giving us rom ships in lockboxes solves the problem at a fundamental level, there is no need to roll romulan at all. just get the ship from the lockbox.
    I actually agree. If there were ROmulan lockboxes and zen store unlocks for playable KDF/FED Romulans, at least the Romulans as a faction would still have a semblence of dignity. People could roleplay Romulan defectors to the KDF/FED/Whatever, but the fundamental concept of Romulans as the mysterious plotting sneaky little jerks would still be intact. Now they are all just servants of the KDF and Federation. Yeah, a true RSE faction would be nice, but Cryptic's solution is the absolute worst one for Romulan fans imaginable.
    edited March 2013
    I actually agree. If there were ROmulan lockboxes and zen store unlocks for playable KDF/FED Romulans, at least the Romulans as a faction would still have a semblence of dignity. People could roleplay Romulan defectors to the KDF/FED/Whatever, but the fundamental concept of Romulans as the mysterious plotting sneaky little jerks would still be intact. Now they are all just servants of the KDF and Federation. Yeah, a true RSE faction would be nice, but Cryptic's solution is the absolute worst one for Romulan fans imaginable.

I prefered the TOS romulans over the plotting TNG villains with their 1 dimension.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jestersage wrote: »
    With the newest Ask Cryptic, we found out that Romulan is not a straightly "third side" but an ally to one of the side.

So in this case, would you ally with Klingons like TOS days, or ally with Starfleet?

I personally feel that I do not know... KDF, save for the lack of missions, actually have better DoFF missions, but I fear that everyone and their mother will pick Federation and make teh "war" even more lopsided. I would rather they just stay neutral and can swap back and forth as I feel like it - you know, actually like a Romulan.

Probably the Klingons. The Romulans are supposed to have their own mission chain until level 40, and from there they do the Featured Episodes till end game so mission content should be a non-issue.

After that, I really don't have alot of time to play STO so it's a question of who do I backburner, my Nausicaan Pirate or my Mirror Universe Tellarite. And well, the Tellarite drop kicks people in the crotch....
  • seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013
    People are forgetting one important thing.

Green HUD > Blue HUD / Red HUD.

Even if that is all it comes down to in the end, it is enough to make it worth rolling a Romulan character.

From what I understand from the "Ask Cryptic" Romulans don't really miss out on anything. You gain access to the ships (fed would be better) and consoles (klingons would be better) from a faction of your choice and dont have to grind up a new starbase! Seems like win-win to me.

What exactly are people complaining about?
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm

Earth has lower Gravity than Romulus
    Similar atmosphere
    Some remaining natural resources
    and an easily controlled population of SHEEP

Once the Federation is say 50% Romulans (which could happen)
    We strike
    take control and execute all the Undine

on the other hand
    The First city has better entertainment and a lot less Politics in chat

But a lot more semi naked women

so If choose we must Federation has something going for it

Especially as once Romulans become dominant there will be a lot less pvp
    Live long and Prosper
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Hmm

Earth has lower Gravity than Romulus
    Similar atmosphere
    Some remaining natural resources
    and an easily controlled population of SHEEP

Once the Federation is say 50% Romulans (which could happen)
    We strike
    take control and execute all the Undine

Would we get super powers like Superman;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fed, simply because that's where the fleet I'm in is.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

on a planet with lower gravity and a LOT more oxygen??
    actually yes
    Live long and Prosper
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    sollvax wrote: »
    on a planet with lower gravity and a LOT more oxygen??
    actually yes

That highly depends on how the romulan body reacts to massive doses of Oxygen... It might make them sick...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • wirtddwirtdd Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    FED, of course.
    Bastet
    edited March 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    That highly depends on how the romulan body reacts to massive doses of Oxygen... It might make them sick...

Spock with less than half the advantages and a human half is stronger and tougher in earth gravity and atmosphere

Romulans are stronger even than Vulcans
    and are a much tougher prospect
    Live long and Prosper
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Both...

A Romulan seeking to come closer to the Vulcans will join my Fed Fleet, and an Alien seeking to make a peaceful future for his clan will seek the Feds.

An ex-Tal Shiar seeking to end the reign of Sela will join the KDF (they will accept an admitted spy that is also a traitor), and a Reman seeking revenge against the Romulans will also join the belligerent Klingons.

It doesn't matter which side the Romulan/Reman join since it is only about gaining resources; the Romulans and Remans will still be independent. :eek:
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    KDF, or more specifically with the Orion Syndicate types.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    FED.

Must grind Dilithium to get my Andorian Phasers back.
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Well since I have no choice Klingons, but I am saying right now that I REFUSE to fire on another Romulan ship, if that means I have to peel out, evade and cloak to avoid the traitor so be it but I will not fire on my own people, no matter what Cryptic says and no matter how much my teammates yell and scream at me.

However you feds are still in my cross-hairs....even more so now that my people have been subjected to this humiliation.

I will choose the Feds, but I too will not fire on another Romulan vessel. It's non-sensical. Why would I want to fire on my own people who have limited resources in terms of equipment and man power. If our infrastructure requires the use of KDF or Fed support why attack our own?

In fact we should start a thread and see who else will join in the pact.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I will choose the Feds, but I too will not fire on another Romulan vessel. It's non-sensical. Why would I want to fire on my own people who have limited resources in terms of equipment and man power. If our infrastructure requires the use of KDF or Fed support why attack our own?

In fact we should start a thread and see who else will join in the pact.

100% agree I to will not kill my romulan ppl even if they are KDF dogs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I will have one of both, but will probably play my KDF Rom more, marauder!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Whichever side spends the least time on New Romulus chasing bunnies.
    SQUIRREL!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I figure if the warbirds are cool and interesting enough to play I will probably choose the kdf, god knows they can use every little extra of content, from ships to uniforms.
  • dontphasemedontphaseme Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why wouldn't they fire on other romulans? They never seemed to have any problem with it in the shows.
  • morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im leaning towards Klingon, however I have to see the final benefits before making a decision. Pretty sure a costume variant was mentioned depending on who you side with.