What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - March 28, 2013

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've created the following thread to report the transparency issues and missing icons. I have included screenshots.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=599101
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I have to agree, the transparency is beautiful to a degree, but there needs to be shading so one can differentiate what you're looking at. I spent five minutes hunting through the options for an opacity slider.

The Aeroglass look is gorgeous and lets you see more of the screen, but at the moment it's WAY too transparent. I had issues reading everything.

I am also not seeing any icons in inventory, trays, or anywhere else.

I would also like to see the bars back on the sliders in the character creator, I use those for guidelines.

We have almost exactly the same complaints.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Loving the new UI look much nicer and eye friendly than the one we have now especially if your playing in the dark, did see a few bugs might post on them a bit later, but for now just enjoying the look of the UI, look forward to future updates to come.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nevermind...
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    qultuq wrote: »
    This + 1.

I am really nervous about this new HUD, team. I don't think it is doing what you want it to do at all. There is too much padding so it looks bulky compared to the fluid curved lines of the current design. The font or the character spacing feels a lot better, but again as with the larger more iconic buttons the new lettering takes up a lot more space, it doesn't match the text on the load screens etc.

Boxes are abound like in character portraits, although this creates a nice continuity with doff portraits and look less WoW-esque, but i think the curved boxes are more standard because they look more fluid and are less jarring on the eyes. The hard lines break up the space instead of sitting on top of it.

The new colors are nice, but it feels like there is less continuity and design aesthetic which may be a problem. It also looks less lcars which is a problem for star trek fans (who may no longer be your primary audience any more. I don't have your metrics)

Also in the new character creator you said you want to stream line it to make it more accessible. what you have with the face icons is good, but the screen is a lot more busy, which can cause confusion. I hope you are running this stuff on test groups before you redo everything and make it more difficult and confusing to new players.

As someone who has studied media design, these incongruities really make me nervous about the final product, for your sake. I would play it if the whole thing looked like one of taco fangs ms paint files, but i am not a potential new player.

Additionally, It could just be because I am used to the old ui, so it feels more jarring to me than it would for someone who has just been introduced to it. But if this is to help retain new consumers you need to be very careful with continuity and function. a good ui is one that blends into the background of the game interface not one that screams over it.

you clearly miss that this its the same UI with a different skin and less bloom (which is good if you pvp ...bloom was one of the reasons people got UI lag in pvp ).I want a new UI with improved functions as delete all mail ,better exchange categories for boffs /doffs ,boff list and categories (if you have over 20 the list is really long and you cant get any order) ,etc....that would be a new UI ,this one is got a new LCARS skin .

lol at "it looks less LCARS" .Im sure the old one looked more LCARS :rolleyes:
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Of course I can notice the difference between an aesthetic and functional change to an interface. I am talking about points of good design.

I was concerned when I looked at it the first time. But after reading everyone's praise i logged back in. And i think it looks fine. I was looking only at the KDF the first time. Which is a little less LCARS-y which is a good thing. I think the green doesn't work maybe (Also in the ship icon with the shield power thingy). I am not really sure. The longer I look at it, the more I appreciate it. Maybe a stronger red would look more Klingon than the brown, but I know there was strong hostility to the red.

The fed side works well. Perhaps the Klingon side doesn't feel as strong, because it the federation one with a different pallet and some sharper lines.

I still think the character creation screen is a little busy, but it functions well and isn't too big of a problem. Whatever.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Possible major character creator bug:

Sequence of events:
    - I selected one of my preloaded character (worked fine, character+ ship on space background)
    - I selected "New character" by clicking the button (worked: landed on character creator screen)
    - I reselected my preloaded character, she loaded on the same background as new character creator. Dunno if it was on purpose or she should have loaded back on the space background as started with...
    - I reselect "New character" This is were things start to break:
    . It remains on my character, changed her uniform color or even her head (once she was given a 'zoidberg' head)
    . All the LCARS and buttons dissapeared, only character and background visible

What I did from there:
    - tabbing back to desktop and coming back brings buttons back, those with character selection or new character.
    - If i reselect new character, the issue starts over again (need tab out again)
    - If I select another preloaded character, that character loads back to the space/star background
    - Then I can click new character and start the process to create one (Which I have not yet tested).

The issue seems to be that wanting to go back to an existing character from the creator does not 'port' back to the space background but leave that character into creator mode, this seems to through the system off...

I hope this helps because it does throw the game into an odd behavior...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    My first Character Creator impressions... (with some testing/'bugs')

- The UI:

I simply love it, the LCARS screems Star Trek, should have been a day 1 feature. The KDF one seems cool but I only see it from starter screen (more time needed)

- The creator itself:

+ First screen:
    . System picks a random species/gender (tried a few iterations) Good
    . I like the selection buttons, nice and clear, faction and species on the left and class on the right... Good
    . Cannot spin my character on that screen, I wish I could to have a first glance. Think about a new player not knowing these species Medium

+ 'Appearance' screen:
    . Please, could we remove the 'default' heads next to the character when we are on advanced screen? If I am on advanced, i do not need them and they take space that could be used to see my character better Bad
    . Most options i tried seem to be previewed on the character such as hair and the like. Good
    . Some I tried to select and add to my character but they did not stay after clicking them. Say, i pick a mustache, it does show as a preview while hover over it but I cannot add it if I click on it Medium
    . Cannot preview stances, rather hard to know how my character will stand around if I cannot see it there. Bad
    . I wish the camera would zoom on the head if I work on it and back out when I do body and uniforms like the old creator does Medium

+ 'Background' screen:
    Nothing there, seem about normal to me.

So, in and out, this new Creator is great. Once these details I feel need to be corrected/modified, it will be a great upgrade from the old one....

Note (Bug?): Pressing the 'Windows' button seems to bring you one screen back. Hope it is not intended, because I can do that on the Holodeck game.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    First (quick) look inside the game:

- The UI is amazing... Good
    - The reticule are cool too, need to get used to it but I think it will help in the long run Good
    - Could we make the pop-ups a tad smaller? Seeing the people on a viewscreen is awesome, but it makes it rather bulky... Looks awesome, just too big Medium
    - Will the loading screen be modified to match the new UI or left as is? No biggy, just curious.
    - Some minor graphics that "spill over" and so on. One is the "RED ALERT" notification in sector space, the wording seems off from the button.

SO far so good, keeping on exploring...
  • Options
    commander1sitiscommander1sitis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just copied one of my Fed Chars to Tribble because i wasnt able to create a new KDF or Romulan toon without having a Fed Char at least at Lvl 25. That works.
    But from now on, i have a Lvl 50 Fed on Tribble, which dont Counts for that Reason.
    It still says "u need a Lvl 25 Fed Char".

Any help?

with best regards

(sry for the poor english)
  • Options
    hitonozanshihitonozanshi Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Tribble cannot detect my NVidia GeForce 650M GPU. It's using my Ivy Bridge-based HD4000 graphics.
    The Jar kitty is watching you. :D
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I suffer from the same issue that prevents me from using mouse or keyboard. However, here are some things I've noticed that may be helpful, even if a little bit.

I'm using Win XP, 1280x1024 resolution.
    I've downloaded all the Tribble files once again from scratch.
    The mouse/keyboard issue is not related to character select screen, but the game itself.
    The mouse doesn't work on the initial brightness selection screen if there's no config file present.
    I've tried launching the game itself from the .exe file, instead of the launcher, and the mouse still doesn't work on the game's login screen as well.

HOWEVER, the keyboard does work partially - it only accepts letters and numbers, but no other keys. So I can type anything I want in the Username field, but I cannot backspace, enter, tab or anything like that.

The mouse cursor does seem to trigger the minimise and fullscreen icons in the top right corner of the screen to show (which look just like the ones from the current holodeck UI), highlights them when the mouse is over them, but they cannot be pressed.

I tried changing some stuff in the config file manually, like using software cursor, changing resolutions, fullscreen etc. but nothing seems to work.

None of the ideas posted by Borticus help either.

Generally, I can only type letters and numbers in the login field, and Alt+Tab.

Character Select screen looks like this - http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4648/stoiy.jpg
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    graham6411graham6411 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi guys, just attempted to patch Tribble but I got an error saying the PlayTest folder was write protected, checked the folder it self and it was not write protected so I have deleted the folder and now i can patch :D
    Known as @graham6410 in game
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm also unable to press any buttons or press any keys when in character selection, in tribble that is, my screen shows animated each time so it's not "frozen" would be nice that I could go in and see the tholian rep by myself...
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    nithanathnithanath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The new UI looks very nice.

In the description of the trait Conservation of Energy Exotic Damage is mentioned. Does this mean that we get back exotic damage? Then it would really be a great update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only two character slots? Or it is a bug? What we will need to do to create the new Romulan character? I have one fed char lvl 50 and one KDF char lvl 50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd love how I can see my ship in the background on character select, if it didn't show my shuttle instead! The ship name labels still show my main ships' names (for both characters), but I see my shuttles in the backgrounds for the 2 characters. I think the HUD is pretty cool! :cool:

Edit: I'm looking through my chat channels, and my fleet's custom channel is gone. Not the regular "fleet" channel that all fleet's have, but my fleet's channel for use on FED and KDF and not selectable. Only Zone and Local chats are available.
    Edit 2: I've come to notice that the KDF loading screen is blue like the Fed loading screen.
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    brohoulettebrohoulette Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just copied one of my Fed Chars to Tribble because i wasnt able to create a new KDF or Romulan toon without having a Fed Char at least at Lvl 25. That works.
    But from now on, i have a Lvl 50 Fed on Tribble, which dont Counts for that Reason.
    It still says "u need a Lvl 25 Fed Char".

Any help?

with best regards

(sry for the poor english)

Also for me too...like to see the Rommie Character Creator and stuff...
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love I can see my Ship in 3D my character and my BO in 3D now in the statues screen
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also for me too...like to see the Rommie Character Creator and stuff...

Ignore the Tooltip, it is old and wrong. Romulan and Klingon Faction are currently turned off on Tribble, you can not create one at this time.
  • Options
    vikingbloodedvikingblooded Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Really, Auxiliary configuration Offense or Defense.....

Tac captains getting a nerf there since most of the Sci/Eng captains in my fleet can run 125 weapons and aux continuously.....
    RLTW
  • Options
    mali44mali44 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    I suffer from the same issue that prevents me from using mouse or keyboard. However, here are some things I've noticed that may be helpful, even if a little bit.

I'm using Win XP, 1280x1024 resolution.
    I've downloaded all the Tribble files once again from scratch.
    The mouse/keyboard issue is not related to character select screen, but the game itself.
    The mouse doesn't work on the initial brightness selection screen if there's no config file present.
    I've tried launching the game itself from the .exe file, instead of the launcher, and the mouse still doesn't work on the game's login screen as well.

HOWEVER, the keyboard does work partially - it only accepts letters and numbers, but no other keys. So I can type anything I want in the Username field, but I cannot backspace, enter, tab or anything like that.

The mouse cursor does seem to trigger the minimise and fullscreen icons in the top right corner of the screen to show (which look just like the ones from the current holodeck UI), highlights them when the mouse is over them, but they cannot be pressed.

I tried changing some stuff in the config file manually, like using software cursor, changing resolutions, fullscreen etc. but nothing seems to work.

None of the ideas posted by Borticus help either.

Generally, I can only type letters and numbers in the login field, and Alt+Tab.

Character Select screen looks like this - http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4648/stoiy.jpg

Same problem here..
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Like what I am seeing.

The only thing I am really not seeing that I used to enjoy is the bubble over chat that shows rewards when looted. Is this an intentional omission (which sucks if so) or an oversight?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "HUD Reticule colors have been standardized across the faction UIs.

Allies are now always green, teammates are always white and enemies are always orange.
    "

Sorry this looks just WRONG.

It looks like the Romulans have invaded the SOL System!

How about:

Allies = White (a neutral color)
    Teammates Blue (a friendly color)
    Enemies = Red (danger!)

everything green is just bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the View screen look
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only thing that we need is little change in log in screen for our characters... like put them next to starbase window where they have view on homeworld and our ship in orbit :).

This is only thing that i would like to see in near future of this expansion , because everything else is great for me :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure it's been said already, but the thread is long. Love the removal of U.S.S./I.K.S. option from certain ships. Any chance this can extend to other factions' lockbox ships?
  • Options
    jx1000ajx1000a Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So far, the only thing I don't like about the character creation process is the fact that I can't randomize stance and height options as well as choosing certain traits. I understand this is a work in progress so I hope that these things will be included in the character creation process. :)
  • Options
    alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The One thing I've been able to do is look at the log in/character select screens, because of this bizarre pointer bug that's plaguing the test server, preventing me from actually logging in.

But I think the log in/character select is good as is, miles better than what we have now as it nails something the game has always struggled with, atmosphere.

Granted, it nails it from orbit (it's the only way to be sure after all), but it still nails it and looks pretty slick with the LCARS UI to boot, especially the TNG theme. A friend was good enough to stream tribble for me so I could get a good look at it in action. TTC did a fantastic job with the new UI, far FAR better than the old one. (You can see for yourselves here: http://www.twitch.tv/xydsx_input21/b/383771957)

As for the BOFF dialog boxes, it's a bit silly to be talking to them over a viewscreen when in space, perhaps a separate background element of them next to a console or what have you? Or perhaps backgrounds of various areas of the ship depending on what their rating is? (Engineer, Science, Tactical)
  • Options
    jhighfilljhighfill Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My Team goes out of sync during Space combat. The server not responding comes out. Being logged out Does not allow you to log back in Failed to boot message. Also when I was able to get in it showed my team intact dispite him not being logged in.

Edit: Logged in again Teaming is broken. just tried a run of stranded in space.