test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Explo Cruiser Retro - looking for build tips...

spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
Looking to see options for improving the old girl's performance. I am looking to either bump up the damage or make it tank even better - or both, if that's possible.

Nothing is off the table (besides trading it in for a different ship), so feel free to throw out any and all suggestions.

Exploration Cruiser Retrofit
Fore: Phaser Array Mk XII (Purple/Borg), Phaser Array Mk XI (Purple), Photon Mk XI (Purple/Borg), Photon Mk XI (Purple)
Deflector/Impulse/Shield: Omega Mk X
Aft: Phaser Array Mk XI (Purple/Borg), rest same as Fore
Devices: Weapon/Shield/Engine Batteries and Red Matter Capacitor
Eng: RCS Mk XI (Blue), EFF Mk XII (Purple), Ablative Armor Mk XII (Blue), Monotanium Alloy Mk XI (Blue)
Sci: Zero-Point Energy Console, Emitter Mk XII (Blue), Biofunction Monitor Mk XII (Blue)
Tac: Phaser Relay Mk XI (Blue), Photon Detonation Assembly Mk XII (Purple)

BOFFs
Lt. Tac: Tac Team1, HYT2
Cdr. Eng: EPtW1, DEM1, EPtS3, EWP2
LtCdr. Eng: Eng Team1, RSP1, Aux to SIF2
Ens. Eng: EPtS1
Lt. Sci: HE1, TSS2
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
Post edited by spockout1 on

Comments

• sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    spockout1 wrote: »
    Looking to see options for improving the old girl's performance. I am looking to either bump up the damage or make it tank even better - or both, if that's possible.

Nothing is off the table (besides trading it in for a different ship), so feel free to throw out any and all suggestions.

Exploration Cruiser Retrofit
    Fore: Phaser Array Mk XII (Purple/Borg), Phaser Array Mk XI (Purple), Photon Mk XI (Purple/Borg), Photon Mk XI (Purple)
    Deflector/Impulse/Shield: Omega Mk X
    Aft: Phaser Array Mk XI (Purple/Borg), rest same as Fore
    Devices: Weapon/Shield/Engine Batteries and Red Matter Capacitor
    Eng: RCS Mk XI (Blue), EFF Mk XII (Purple), Ablative Armor Mk XII (Blue), Monotanium Alloy Mk XI (Blue)
    Sci: Zero-Point Energy Console, Emitter Mk XII (Blue), Biofunction Monitor Mk XII (Blue)
    Tac: Phaser Relay Mk XI (Blue), Photon Detonation Assembly Mk XII (Purple)

BOFFs
    Lt. Tac: Tac Team1, HYT2
    Cdr. Eng: EPtW1, DEM1, EPtS3, EWP2
    LtCdr. Eng: Eng Team1, RSP1, Aux to SIF2
    Ens. Eng: EPtS1
    Lt. Sci: HE1, TSS2

Here's some suggestions for what a good standard build is, IMO:

BOffs look good.

I think that the "Photon Mk XI" items you mentioned are the torpedos. One torp front and one torp in back is enough, otherwise you are sacrificing the power of energy weapons needed to take the shields down for the torps to start working on the hull. Other people would say use Quantums because they do more damage and almost as fast firing rate.

Drop the EFF, protecting the crewmen does not help you much, and the Ablative and Monotanium are too specific. Replace them with Neutronium Alloy to cover all types of Energy and Kinetic resistance. Rare XII will give you +18.8 x3 (not including diminishing return reductions).

Replace the Biofunction Monitor (and possibly the Shield Emitter Amp) with Field Generators to bolster the shield strength.

Drop the Photon Detonation Assembly and put in another Phaser Relay to boost your Phasers as much as possible.

I'd look to setting up a spacebar keybind, google Hilbertguide. Setup the spacebar to fire Row 7 for a shield heal, distribute shields and EPW to help keep these cranking while you are firing.

For other builds, checkout the PvP Gameplay section of these forums and go to the Sticky called "The new PVP help and ship build thread". Excellent info!

I hope this helps.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • vexashenvexashen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=592401 <-- look here

this build requires t5 romulan rep and alot of dill. but you can use the boff layout with other gear and still pull respectable damage.
    The ORIGINAL SERIES VETERANS www.Tosfleet.com
    [SIGPIC]http://file3.guildlaunch.net/205090/DVhexishensig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Cruisers with mk x common in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82PqoFFxjc
    Cruisers with good gear in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMnFljZD9m8
    Soloing Infected Elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEFICFx4E8&feature=youtu.be
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Spockout, is this build intended for PVP or PVE?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Primarily PvE.

I realize it's hard to get a build that is good at both.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    spockout1 wrote: »
    Primarily PvE.

I realize it's hard to get a build that is good at both.

If you spec for PvP, it'll be great for PvE. In my previous post, I had referred you to a PvP thread just because it's very comprehensive for builds per ship and great guides.

Good luck.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • leonshayleonshay Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I second Sirokk's suggestions. A few more:

I would try replacing HYT with AP Beta. You lose out on the visceral feel of launching a torpedo salvo, but I found my killing power improve drastically when I made this switch. Be sure to save it until their shields are down, since damage resist debuffs don't affect shields.

I would switch to EWP 1 and Aux2SIF 3. You're not getting any additional slow/hold out of the higher EWP, just a bit of extra DPS. Meanwhile Aux2SIF 3 is one of the best spam heals in the game.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Depending on your playstyle, I would like to recommend you the Wide-Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher from the Regent ship as a forward weapon. Sadly you can only mount one of them. In my experience, it helps with broadsiding.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, will look at the PvP section for ideas.

I was wondering about swapping any BOFF powers. I do love seeing all those torps on their merry way, but perhaps you're right. In my reading I've seen a lot of people going on about APB. Will look into it, as well as the other changes you suggest.

On that topic, would a higher level of DEM be of notable benefit? Or would it be a miniscule gain, with another power put to better use?

Thanks all, for the suggestions so far.

I got 3x Neutroniums for 33% damage resistance across the board (can't afford the Mk XIIs yet). Before I had AP and Plasma with 35% and all others about 27%, so a slight tradeoff, but overall a bigger improvement.
  • nveknvek Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I`m using The old Borg set on My Galaxy! all The Beams i`m using is Mk XII Antiproton (AntiBorg) Weapons. Plus I`m using The Transphasic Torpedo Cluster and a Mk 12 AntiBorg Transphasic Torpedo Launcher.:D