test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans lost their spark.

berniestompaberniestompa Member Posts: 34 Arc User
Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans? From the reveal it seems to point to the whole reunification and becoming all nice and friendly.

I wanted to see the scheming backstabbing evil side. The rebuilding of the empire and going against the lesser races of the federation and klingons.

Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core. The level of propaganda that was distributed over countless years does not rub off overnight. Couple that with the Hobus event still being pretty raw. I honestly think that the romulans we are currently helping would be a small splinter group, nothing more.

The main romulan faction would be the military/tal shiar controlled one.

Come cryptic, let us be the bad guys that the romulans were meant to be.
Post edited by berniestompa on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Romulan government was xenophobic. The people were rarely portrayed that way.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Real Romulans? Do you pay no attention to the game's setting and storyline?
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Real Romulans are likely going to continue being the bad guys. STO needs these guys else we'll have nobody to fight.

Regardless, we get to play as Romulans and Reman, and we get to fly those Deridex Warbirds. Be pleased. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans?

Why can't you role play your romulan as an actual romulan?

Look, the story is what it is. Hobus Supernova did it's thing. You weren't going to get to meet Pardek on the senate floor of Romulus no matter what you wanted. But you can role play and make believe whatever kind of Romulan you desire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is anyone else a bit miffed that you cannot play the romulans as actual romulans? From the reveal it seems to point to the whole reunification and becoming all nice and friendly.

Er...where were you getting that from?

There was the Romulan Star Empire.
    There is the New Romulan Empire.
    You're playing as part of the Romulan Republic.

Are they doing a retcon of the NRE?
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought real romulans died when their homeworld was consumed by their sun going nova.
    :confused:
    They didn't get the 50 years to evacuate and plan like the Klingons got.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I thought real romulans died when their homeworld was consumed by their sun going nova.
    :confused:
    They didn't get the 50 years to evacuate and plan like the Klingons got.
    They only needed to give the Roms 7 years to pack, as the Roms didn't need to have the constant brawl competitions between family members to see what items they were allowed to take. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • brenvbrenv Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    They only needed to give the Roms 7 years to pack, as the Roms didn't need to have the constant brawl competitions between family members to see what items they were allowed to take. :)

I'm totally cool with allowing a T5 connie, infact a miranda too. I want to see a larger variety of ships being used during endgame play.

just me I'm sure.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I wanted to see the scheming backstabbing evil side. The rebuilding of the empire and going against the lesser races of the federation and klingons.

Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core. The level of propaganda that was distributed over countless years does not rub off overnight. Couple that with the Hobus event still being pretty raw. I honestly think that the romulans we are currently helping would be a small splinter group, nothing more.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and to add seems most forget that the Vulcans refuse to help save there home world
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulus was always an allegory of the Roman Empire - a totalitarian empire wearing the clothes of a republic. With the burning of Rome - err, destruction of Romulus, we're seeing an allegory of the Fall of Rome.

We've seen an emperor (Empress Sela) take power in a time of crisis, as happened with Rome. This was normally a temporary arrangement, but as Star Trek has referenced several times, the last emperor refused to give up his power, first manipulating and later dissolving the senate to consolidate their power (path to 2409 and season 7 backstory).

We've seen the slave uprisings (Reman Rebellion), we've seen the Eastern Roman Empire breaking free (New Romulus) and in a way the conversion of its leader to a new emerging religion (its Reunificationist leader).

Now we're seeing the power struggle between loyalists of the dissolved senate (Romulan Republic) and the self appointed emperor (Romulan Star Empire and Tal Shiar).

This is actually a level of deeper storytelling I didn't think Cryptic was capable of. At least not on purpose.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    The Romulan government was xenophobic. The people were rarely portrayed that way.
    Which is funny because the government is made of, well...people. Pardek was so admired and trusted by the dissident movement, and look what happened. The "soup lady" from Unification also comes to mind. Although I don't care for her interpretation of Romulans in her Rehansu(sp) series, Diane Duane's pre-Surak Vulcans in Spock's World embody exactly the kind of people I have seen portrayed in TOS - DS9. Those ancient Vulcans were out for power, looking out for themselves and ready to kill their enemies.

Romulans are those people, and with a dangerous space-faring past on top of it.

nynik wrote: »
    Real Romulans? Do you pay no attention to the game's setting and storyline?
    What about it? If anything, it should make Romulans even more aggressive and withdrawn from their neighbors who they would believe might or HAVE encroached on their territory. See the Sisko-Dax exchange on Romulan psychology featured in the episode "In the Pale Moonlight" for more details.

With that said, I understand the OP's concern and agree with most of it. At the same time, it's not unusual for Romulans to be engaged in in-fighting (which story-wise seems to play a factor in their gameplay), and like others have said, we will now have a chance to play that faction, thus you can play that character how ever you wish. Personally, I'm extremely happy to know that there will most likely never...EVER...be a Warbird with the prefix "U.S.S." in this game.

>:-)
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited March 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Personally, I'm extremely happy to know that there will most likely never...EVER...be a Warbird with the prefix "U.S.S." in this game.

>:-)

this^^^^^^^^ with a lol at the end
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Romulus was always an allegory of the Roman Empire - a totalitarian empire wearing the clothes of a republic. With the burning of Rome - err, destruction of Romulus, we're seeing an allegory of the Fall of Rome.

We've seen an emperor (Empress Sela) take power in a time of crisis, as happened with Rome. This was normally a temporary arrangement, but as Star Trek has referenced several times, the last emperor refused to give up his power, first manipulating and later dissolving the senate to consolidate their power (path to 2409 and season 7 backstory).

We've seen the slave uprisings (Reman Rebellion), we've seen the Eastern Roman Empire breaking free (New Romulus) and in a way the conversion of its leader to a new emerging religion (its Reunificationist leader).

Now we're seeing the power struggle between loyalists of the dissolved senate (Romulan Republic) and the self appointed emperor (Romulan Star Empire and Tal Shiar).

This is actually a level of deeper storytelling I didn't think Cryptic was capable of. At least not on purpose.

im with u on this i cant wait to see a deeper story i like the way this is heading at lest by wot the devs have posted so far. i for one will be playing the new rom faction the day after it comes out because i dont wont to be stuck in a queue of 5000 again. all so it will give the devs time to work out a quick fix cos there broken something again :eek:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »

Do you have a source for that?

There's almost nothing on the LoR page about when the "RR" is actually taking place. Is it preSela's disappearance? Is it in the time between her disappearance and the forming of the NRE? Is it after Sela's return?

The way time works in STO is enough to give Janeway a headache.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Republics can be empires (the Roman empire was built as a republic) but it gained its greatest strength as an Empire with an Emperor
    Live long and Prosper
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Well. We're getting a Romulan faction. Technically. We're not getting Romulans resembling anything from the classic TV shows, so better prepare all those "voices in the head", and Romulan Ale a-plenty.

It is a step up from a half-faction being part of another faction, as once suggested. So even in loss there is some gain.

The move from a half-entity to something more is after all not a trivial one. Even if you feel like a gutted fish at the end. To call the previous solution for an alternative, is to stretch the definition of that word. It was not even a compromise, more like complete assimilation.

So basically "something" is better than "nothing", or "anything". :P

---

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core.

*headdesk* Races or species aren't xenophobic. Cultures and people are. And I wouldn't worry. It seems you will be working for Sela, not D'Tan.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think the faction is what you make of it (if there's enough there to do anyhting with it) so I don't think they've lost any spark.
    edited March 2013
    *headdesk* Races or species aren't xenophobic. Cultures and people are. And I wouldn't worry. It seems you will be working for Sela, not D'Tan.

"The Story" on the LoR page suggests otherwise. It suggests a third Romulan splinter faction.
  • kaiserhawk16kaiserhawk16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Er...where were you getting that from?

There was the Romulan Star Empire.
    There is the New Romulan Empire.
    You're playing as part of the Romulan Republic.

Are they doing a retcon of the NRE?

The New Romulan Empire is either still out there, or collapsed after the Empress vanished...again.

Although there are many different Romulan factions these days, it's hard to keep track.

EDIT: I'm guessing the Romulan Republic will be New Romulus and a collection of the friendly Romulan colony worlds you encounter in Starfleet Missions.
    edited March 2013
    The Empire ?
    It exists in our hearts and souls .
    As we take to the stars in our Warbirds and Birds of prey we serve the Empire.
    As we walk under a thousand suns we serve the Empire.
    When we blast a very large hole in the back of the defiant we are serving The Empire.

Friends, Romulans, Countrymen , lend me your gracefully sloped ears , I come to bury D'tan not to praise him.

I know he isn't dead.
    Yes its going to take two of you to hold him in the coffin while We nail the lid shut

But its for the EMPIRE
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    The Empire ?
    It exists in our hearts and souls .
    As we take to the stars in our Warbirds and Birds of prey we serve the Empire.
    As we walk under a thousand suns we serve the Empire.
    When we blast a very large hole in the back of the defiant we are serving The Empire.

Friends, Romulans, Countrymen , lend me your gracefully sloped ears , I come to bury D'tan not to praise him.

I know he isn't dead.
    Yes its going to take two of you to hold him in the coffin while We nail the lid shut

But its for the EMPIRE

for The Star Empire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

that what I will be thinking :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    Well thats two of us

Soon we shall be Legion
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    The New Romulan Empire is either still out there, or collapsed after the Empress vanished...again.

Although there are many different Romulan factions these days, it's hard to keep track.

EDIT: I'm guessing the Romulan Republic will be New Romulus and a collection of the friendly Romulan colony worlds you encounter in Starfleet Missions.

D'Tan and Obisek formed the New Romulan Empire.

"The Story" for LoR...

Romulus and Remus are gone. You are one of the survivors, struggling to survive in the aftermath of unspeakable destruction.

These are dark and dangerous times for your people, as the Tal Shiar crack down on any dissent and mysterious beings unleash terror throughout the far-flung colony worlds.

You will be the one to reshape an empire. Gather allies, go undercover and find the proof that will rally your people to revolt.

Together, you will rise up against an oppressive regime and demand freedom. You will fight for your people.

You are the Legacy of Romulus.

Is that 2387 to 2397? Up to 2401? Through 2409? After Sela's disappearance? Are we moving beyond 2409 or are we still on 2409?

The Romulan Republic could be fighting the RSE. They could be fighting the Tal Shiar after Sela disappeared. Did Sela return to lead the RSE or is Sela returning with the RR?

They do not appear to be either the RSE nor NRE based on that...so...what is the Romulan Republic?
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You asked for Playable Romulans and you got Playable Romulans. But now you don't like them?

*basks in the warm glow of Saw This Coming*
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    What I don't get is why people think changing to a Republic would preclude Romulans being Romulan. I don't see how they can't be proud - they are forging a new identity to be proud of - and about - from the remnants of an old and broken empire. Further, it's obvious they aren't simply allowing themselves to fold under the Federation's banner. They are their own faction, accepting of the other factions' aid and willing to talk peace to cement their status, but beholden to neither. Nor does any of this rule out the usual behind-the-scenes political subterfuge and rivalry. Throughout history, it hasn't mattered if you're a democracy or an empire, someone is always out to stab someone else in the back.

A Romulan can still be a Romulan is what I'm saying. The only thing they begin to sacrifice from their previous state is the xenophobia, which I'm willing to bet is far from entirely gone even now.
    edited March 2013
    Democracys always have back stabbing (look at ancient rome or modern Europe for examples)
    Live long and Prosper
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013

You aren't alone in that sentiment. If it doesn't scheme like a romulan, isn't xenophobic like a romulan, if it isn't arrogant, and imperialistic, if it even dress like a Romulan or even have the IRW prefix in front of its ships, than it might as well be a completely different faction, because the essense of what made Romulans 'romulan' has been scooped out and replaced with something that isn't.
    edited March 2013
    To an extent, I think it's a case that some of the folks out there did not necessarily want to play Romulans - they wanted to play the RSE.

It would be like folks asking for playable Klingons...and uh, you know - that first mission there - the Klingon farmers? :)

It's like a genie - have to be careful what you wish for, eh?

They should be happy they're not getting missions from Madran, eh? :)
    edited March 2013
    There are such things as klingon farmers

They Farm vicious man eating plants which they headbutt into submission
    Live long and Prosper