test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New GUI is too tabletified and simple

allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
Check this out: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/en/sto/redesign2012/legacyofromulus/large/s8.jpg

and compare it with how it is now. Now the buttons have:
-a glowy border
-a shading from top to bottom to make them look 3d
-the text has an outline
-also the equipment fields have lines to the character

in the future
-only 1 color for the button
-text only black
-no lines

a ten year old browser game has more flair than the new GUI :(
Post edited by allocater on

Comments

• Options
    dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IS the STO GUI is a good Representation of the Well Known Star Trek UI that has been in all the series? Pushing of a Great Representation of LCARS which it was Designed off of to give the Star Trek Feeling?
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New UI as was said looks more like LCARS and that is good. More important is whether new UI will make game run faster or not. Right now STO lose even 45 FPS only because UI is on.
  • Options
    abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Definitely more LCARS. This feels more like Star Trek, as it is known from the TV shows. And it's more "Canon". I think this new style makes it a lot better. *Okuda rules* ;)
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As an aside, there is one more thing this screenshot tells us: The Tier 1 starter ship will be the Romulan Bird of Prey.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love the look of the new UI.

It may or may not be finished in those pics, so dont take 3 static screenshots of something we wont even see on tribble, let alone live for months, as complete or even a true reflection of how it will look when playing.
  • Options
    lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Try to make art from UI is stupid. Making it simple, clear and elegant is design.
  • Options
    haravikkharavikk Member Posts: 278
    edited March 2013
    I don't see what the problem is, it doesn't look all that different in layout from what we have now, but the styling looks a lot cleaner and more like the LCARS system that series fans want.

I just hope they're using this as a chance to fix all the UI issues such as everything defaulting to your shuttle even if you're currently in your starship, some dialogues being mutually exclusive such as the replicator and your bridge officer assignment menus (very annoying if you need to replicate something to run a DOFF assignment).
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As an aside, there is one more thing this screenshot tells us: The Tier 1 starter ship will be the Romulan Bird of Prey.

Following that aside, without attempting in any way to derail this thread:

It's actually a TOS BoP as the starter ship - the Wing.

Also, not the registry prefix: R.R.W.

It's not the I.R.W. used either by the Romulan Star Empire (formerly led by Sela) nor the I.R.W. used by the New Romulan Empire led by D'Kan. Sela's returning - will it to be lead the RSE or will she be leading some new splinter faction? Cause, Romulans and splinter factions are like the Klingons and Houses, eh?

That being said, though - it will be somewhat interesting to see how the UI feels. Yes, an odd thing to say since we can't actually feel it, but I believe many of you know what I'm talking about. How will it "respond" - how will that feel?

Also, by any chance - is there any chance - that it will do something about the GUI latency, eh?

As far as how it looks/will look - there's no way I could even begin to form an opinion simply from three color schemes of the same thing. There's a lot to the STO UI... will be interesting to see more info as more info becomes available.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm also interested to see how it will handle things like mouse hover over buttons and also just how color customization it will be. I'm not enthused if I can only pick one primary and one secondary. I just don't see how they could offer more unless they really offer everything, i.e.

set color for buttons/tabs which are selected [ ]
    set color for buttons/tabs which are hovered over [ ]
    set color for title bar which frames the tabs [ ]
    set color for each division type for BO tabs [ ]
    and so on...
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also, not the registry prefix: R.R.W.

It's not the I.R.W. used either by the Romulan Star Empire (formerly led by Sela) nor the I.R.W. used by the New Romulan Empire led by D'Kan. Sela's returning - will it to be lead the RSE or will she be leading some new splinter faction? Cause, Romulans and splinter factions are like the Klingons and Houses, eh?

Like TOS Romulans paralleled the Roman Empire, what's happening right now parallels the fall of Rome.

Originally, Rome had a senate and the markups of a republic, but was in fact a totalitarian empire despite the absence of an emperor. This is how the RSE was throughout the series.

During several times of crisis such as the burning of Rome (destruction of Romulus), an emperor was either given or took power beyond what the republic usually held. This is what Sela did. The last person to hold this position refused to give it up (as Sela has), and dissolved the senate to solidify his power (which Sela did).

This was a factor in the Eastern Roman Empire breaking off (as New Romulus has), and fragmented the rest of the empire between the Emperor's forces (Romulan Star Empire and Tal'Shiar), loyalists to former senators (Romulan Republic, earlier Praetor Taris), and uprisings among conquered people and slaves (Reman Resistance).

This is an extremely simplified version of events, but the RSE was already based on an extremely simplified version of the Roman Empire, it's fair that its fall be based on an extremely simplified version as well.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The old GUI is a bit too flashy, all covered in Tron lines. Plus it takes STO's frame rate over its knee and spanks it hard.

Judging from the screenshot, all the buttons are still there, we get an improved character view, and only lose a few superfluous indicator lines pointing to where X or Y equips in a flavor sort of way.

Looks like an improvement to me.
  • Options
    nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love what the new UI will look like. It certainly has a more Trek look to it. I just hope they update the fleet UI and how it functions with ranks etc, because it feels very archaic.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • Options
    benoliverwillockbenoliverwillock Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've never been a fan of LCARS (and tend to disagree with people who boast its "clean" and "simplified") and from what I've seen so far I don't think I'll like the graphics on the new UI either.

Having said that, I'm sure my opinion is just a drop in the ocean of people who love LCARS, and its not worth making a fuss about imho.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like it, at least more than the current UI :)
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    From the little we've been shown of the new UI, I'm liking it so far, and I think it might make doffing slightly more pleasant (or at least I hope so). They could improve the Department Heads and slotted duty officers UIs too, perhaps.

True judgement will have to remain until we're all using it and if there are any glaring oversights or bugs though :o
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]