test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone ever play BSG?

kratos20thkratos20th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I was in the open Beta.

The Game was Horrible, The grinding was horrible, and I was bored with it after only a week. Bored of having my Asteroid stolen by higher-ups. Tired of random bots spawning to kill me just as I'd finally caught a resource break. It was a horrible mess of grind grind grind.

BUT

If there was one thing I DID like from the game, It was the way their PVP was set up.

For those who have never played it: Basically the WHOLE system was a PVP area. At any time an armada of player fleets could form together and invade the other sides space to take control of that sector.

In order to do so, You'd of had to destroy the defending sides flagship. Once that was done, the system was yours as long as you could hold it.

Granted, STO is ALOT bigger than BSG, But I feel that The same PVP style could be adapted into sto.

Maybe A new sector block, Where Feds/Klingons can duke it out for control over the systems. Or something of that nature.

To me that would feel like an Actual space war. And it would open up a tremendous amount of opportunities for Fleets as well. Partnerships, Allegiances, Building.

Thats just the type of PvP style I'd like to see intrigated. Anyone else think it could work?
Post edited by kratos20th on

Comments

• pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What is BSG? o.O
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    BSGO = Battlestar Galactica Online.

I've played it, loved it in its limitation, and bored of it. But yes, STO could use that PVP system.
  • janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The problem with BSGO's PVP system was that the Colonials outnumbered the Cylons 3:1. I played redside, and it was a constant scramble to try to hold even 40% of the map.

STO would have the same problem. Blueside players vastly outnumber redside. "Open world" PVP would be a one-sided slaughter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kratos20thkratos20th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The problem with BSGO's PVP system was that the Colonials outnumbered the Cylons 3:1. I played redside, and it was a constant scramble to try to hold even 40% of the map.

STO would have the same problem. Blueside players vastly outnumber redside. "Open world" PVP would be a one-sided slaughter.
    They could maybe fix that problem by putting a limiter on how many vessels are aloud to operate in that sector. like maybe 120 ship limit per side.
    Each player inside the PVP sector could be aloud 3 lives within it before he was effectivly written off as "K.I.A" And removed from the sector to allow another player access.

If you want to get in but it's full, Then you'd Que up and be added to the list. Once a player losses all his lives, or leaves the sector, the next person on the list will have a minutes notice to warp into sector before the opportunity is passed to another.

And if they wanted to work this into a canon/w.e way, They could have some story about how star fleet/klingons can only spare so many ships in the sector. (because lets be honest they wouldn't send ALL their fleet to just one sector when I space war is on) And every time a ship is destroyed (loses three lives), reinforcements are brought in. (new player).

This is just me brainstorming idea. But I think it could work.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope maybe the Delta Quadrant will be a proxy battleground where the major powers of the Alpha and Beta quadrant jostle for supremacy while trying to gain new allies, subvert the locals or flat out conquer new ground.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree that it's possible to build working mechanics for it, but the disparate number of players on either side make things tricky. I considered the ship cap myself when I first replied, but I can still see some potential problems with it:

1. Just because there's a maximum number of ships allowed in a combat zone, doesn't mean that equal numbers will show up. Feds could find 60 ships for a zone much more easily than Klingons could. The end result would be the same as unrestricted open-world PVP: a one-sided battle.

Cryptic could try to combat this by instituting a minimum number of ships per zone before a battle begins, but then you essentially have the same PVP system already in place. Also, queues can really be a b**** sometimes.

2. The number of players online fluctuates drastically depending on the time and day of the week. 120 players (I know that's a ballpark figure; I'm just running with it for now) might be tough to find at certain hours, and nowhere nearly big enough at others. If you open up the possibility of multiple instances of the same battle, how do you calculate who gets the territory? It can be done, but it involves a lot of foresight on the part of the devs.

That said, the original GW did a good job of that with Cantha province. I'm sure the problem isn't insurmountable, just complicated.

Anyways, territorial PVP would be a welcome addition to the game. It's just such a big can of worms that I think it would have to be the centerpiece of an entire season, at the very least. If the concept were rushed, and/or the complexities not given enough consideration, it would end up being a wasted effort ignored by the playerbase.

The devs have mentioned considering the concept in the past, so with the recent additions to the dev team and the precedent being set (presumably) by the Rommy update, maybe the idea will gain traction again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    BSGO could have been a really good game. But there were so many development mistakes that they are still bugfixing since 2 years. Compared to STO there was really no new content during this time, just new equipment you can pay for. And of course, if you are not the superfarmer, prices for equipment are astronomic. To get a fully equiped highlevel ship, you have to pay a few thousand euros...

Still I do play more BSGO than STO because of the open PVP. No fight is the same, you can win with hundreds of different tactics and still your enemy can surprise you, even if you think you already won the fight. PVP is the only real challenge in games, but round based PVP is too monotonous in my eyes. If they would integrate the open PVP from BSGO into STO, I would never leave this game again...

I think the mainproblem of BSGO, the server balance, would be even more worse in STO. Ships in BSGO are completly identical on each side, just with a different skin. Still they cannot get the servers balanced. How would this end in STO with each side having really different ships? Maybe it would even work better because of the third faction comming up in may...
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As BSGO is based on GINO.. thanks but no thanks :-( ( I am a fan of the Classic Galactica)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love that type of PVP system in this game. But 90% of this game are PVE Babies who like shooting robots that always do TRIBBLE circle jerk movements. So I know Stahl, Geko or anyone wouldn't make this possible because of that.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You mean BSGO made by Bugpoint Enterfailment? Yeah. Been there. Done that. Got bored of all the whiny scrublonial strike pilots complaining that they always got popped. So Bugpoint modified avoidance, and now all you see are full avoidance mk VIIs with maxed out crit guns.

Yeah. Lame. But at least the PvP was awesome. Except the nooblonials outnumbered the Cylons by 4 to 1 on a regular basis. And you know what the sad part is? At 2 to 1 we kicked their tails. At 3 to 1 we could hold them. At 4 to 1, well that's the magic number where they beat us. Oh wells. Kings of Caprica still expanded ALL their tubes. AND we had fun killing those scrubs.

But open PvP like that would be... unpleasantly amusing for anyone not familiar with how it worked. I approve.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ya, cause Cylons didn't have War Raiders, or immortal Fenrirz with 3 DCs and SCRs... Well I was a proud colonial and I've soloed 3 and 4 liches with my Viper, not to mention tons of noob Niddoghs. In my server Cylons used to outnumber us. And instead of complaining and whining, it was the PVP paradise cause we had plenty of Cylons to kill :D
  • haravikkharavikk Member Posts: 278
    edited March 2013
    You could possibly help with the unbalanced numbers by giving disadvantaged sides NPC support, or implementing some kind of raid mechanic that favours the underdog.

Basically each side could launch either raids or assaults; a raid is for a single team trying to cripple a strategic asset against several enemy teams. However, the raiding team would always start with an advantage, such as a team cloak that lasts until combat begins, allowing them to strike at the least well defended objective.

In an assault, several teams form a fleet of ships on either side, but the defender is always weaker, but has some kind of powerful NPC helping them such as a star base or planetary defence battery. In this way a well organised, disadvantaged force can still hold the enemy by using healers to keep the NPC operational for as long as possible.

Basically each side would only be able to launch a limited number of raids, with the number based on the players in each sector; so the disadvantaged side can launch as many raids as it likes while the larger side can only launch a handful. Otherwise teams can launch as many assaults as they like, but only so long as there are players to fill out the numbers; the implication here being that if the defender doesn't have the numbers then the attacker won't move because it means raids are imminent.

Best way to manage it would then be to have a single PvP queue that you join, but which puts you into the first available raid or assault, rather than players joining individual queues.

There's a fair bit of room to play with when it comes to "supporting" NPCs, as you could also throw in Borg or Tholian attacks, which a weaker side could use in their favour.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Played it since open beta just quit recently BSGO is a really bad game people complain here about balance i dare them to play BSGO a week then talk about imbalance.

Its an endless grind session the open style PvP was good but the credit card heros and their well funded god ships pretty much put a bad spin on that.

And people here have no right to complain about content BSGO has no content at all its get your daily assignments do them hand them in grind grind and grind some more fight a few people.....and grind some more.

Its also has to be the absolute worst game for a newbie to play they get farmed by high level players all the time and nothing is done.

So in short BSGO is a terrible game and i for one am glad to finally be done with that lousy excuse for a game.

Im glad to be playing STO its so much better game that has content and its not just one endless grind session :)
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lter wrote: »
    Ya, cause Cylons didn't have War Raiders, or immortal Fenrirz with 3 DCs and SCRs... Well I was a proud colonial and I've soloed 3 and 4 liches with my Viper, not to mention tons of noob Niddoghs. In my server Cylons used to outnumber us. And instead of complaining and whining, it was the PVP paradise cause we had plenty of Cylons to kill :D

You must have never met the Kings of Caprica. I am willing to bet you wouldn't be so proud to be a scrublonial then.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)