test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Starbases?

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
What are they going to look like? And how are they going to work? How are they going to integrate the past, present and future cosmetic upgrades? :confused:
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What are they going to look like? And how are they going to work? How are they going to integrate the past, present and future cosmetic upgrades? :confused:

Another massive resource sink - just don't want to think about that yet:eek:
  • Options
    inosaskainosaska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only info I could provide is Star Trek Armada series and that they will be green :P
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I really hope they are going in a different direction with the Romulan Spacestations.

Since its very possible in the long-run (after the excitement is over) that the Romulan faction will have same or lower population than the KDF population. So instead of Fleet Starbases, why don't the Romulan players work towards a Community Starbase, that later becomes the Romulan Space Dock.

And we can see the progress of the construction from the orbit of Mol'Rihan.

That way the community themselves unlock the content like newer Cryptic ships and graduate out of the recommissioned ships from the Enterprise, TOS, and even TNG eras.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well players wanting to start a new fleet in the FED side at ESD over and over and refugees from small fleets will have Prime real estate in a brand new faction, than the FED and KDF factions right now, so people miiight want t take advantage of that if you're a new player who wanted to start a fleet but did not want to compete with current big fleets.

my Two EC
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I really hope they are going in a different direction with the Romulan Spacestations.

Since its very possible in the long-run (after the excitement is over) that the Romulan faction will have same or lower population than the KDF population. So instead of Fleet Starbases, why don't the Romulan players work towards a Community Starbase, that later becomes the Romulan Space Dock.

That way the community themselves unlock the content like newer Cryptic ships and graduate out of the recommissioned ships from the Enterprise, TOS, and even TNG eras.

I...

...really like that idea.

I do want my Romulan Starbase of course, but that is a really awesome idea.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    janewaywarriorjanewaywarrior Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why doesn't Cryptic just give you the chance to change your fleet over to the Romulans from either Federation or Klingon... I presume that are probably expanding the Fleet Starbases past Tier 5 anyway, so giving people the choice to continue their current starbase on the new faction would be cool.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Well, I guessing they'll be green, and have sort of a 'wing' or 'raptor' motif. :P

I'm also guessing that there might be a repeat of some of the cosmetic upgrade projects, for the sake of both Romulans, and those who just didn't get them done first time around (they've already done that for at least one project, right?).
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why doesn't Cryptic just give you the chance to change your fleet over to the Romulans from either Federation or Klingon... I presume that are probably expanding the Fleet Starbases past Tier 5 anyway, so giving people the choice to continue their current starbase on the new faction would be cool.

The idea is to get more grind out of people. The more they grind the more time they spend in game, the more likely they are to spend on micro and not so micro-transactions. Letting people switch their fleets would run counter to that. And even if they did can you imagine how much complaining would come from people whose fleet (or fleet leader) decided to faction change without them wanting to? It would further undermine the fleet system.

That said, I too wonder if they'll make it faster to level a Rom fleet base, if only so they are not so far behind as to be impractical. After all, what's the point of releasing anything for a Rom fleet base if less than a handful of fleets work their way up through the system? That's what has my interest most of all, how will they make it enticing enough to a player base that is all but exhausted of grinding... to start all over again?

And they must have a way, they have to know that almost every player will make a Rom alt if only to see the new story content but few will stay to endgame and its grinds.... what will Cryptic do? Will they use similar asymmetric player bribes like they do with the KDF? I doubt it, they know all that does is create farmer alts. So what then? We know they're not averse to dangling better and better ships in front of players to get them to do what they want (be it grinding the fleet bases or spending cash) so will they use OP Rom ships as the bait? What have they planned that ill make players want to stay and spend above and beyond what they already have? Or are their internal numbers telling them that the churn is so high it won't matter?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I like that idea too.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    awesome idea

probably will not happen though :(
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013

(Opens up childs storybook, and reads a quote.)"The cash cow, goes MOOOOOO.";)
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    inosaska wrote: »
    The only info I could provide is Star Trek Armada series and that they will be green :P

I hope it dose look like the one from them 2 games
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    (opens Up Childs Storybook, And Reads A Quote.)"the Cash Cow, Goes Moooooo.";)

Lmfao!!!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    starkofthenorthstarkofthenorth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    (Opens up childs storybook, and reads a quote.)"The cash cow, goes MOOOOOO.";)

Which is a very GOOD thing. The more money Cryptic gets the more CONTENT they can provide, the more ships they create, the more uniforms they release, the new FACTION they just announced!!!

Cryptic getting more money from players enables this game to survive and grow!!!
    Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lots of featured project reruns to be had too. So. Much. Dilithium.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013

you never know. after all the main reason KDF has a low population is the level limit right now. if Klingons could be made from the start since F2P then they might have a higher population.

and a lot of people prefer rommies to feds.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    you never know. after all the main reason KDF has a low population is the level limit right now. if Klingons could be made from the start since F2P then they might have a higher population.

i bet in autumn we will see the factions populated like this:
    1 - FED --50%
    2 - Romulans --30% or more
    3 - KDF -- 20% or less
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »

It would seem like it, but afraid not. Even at the very start of STO, when the Klingon population was at it's peek, it still wasn't even half of the Federation population.

And at that same time around launch, there was a poll which faction players would play, and included Romulans, and the Romulans was half as favored as the KDF. That's why it took Cryptic this long to finally get around to a Romulan faction.

That's why I said in the long-run, the Romulan population will drop. Because after people have exhausted the Romulan content and back at endgame, many players would favor maintaining their Federation characters and avoid the excessive grinding to catch up.

The only ones who remain after two months, are the True Romulan playerbase.
    duaths1 wrote: »
    i bet in autumn we will see the factions populated like this:
    1 - FED --50%
    2 - Romulans --30% or more
    3 - KDF -- 20% or less

I admire the enthusiasm, but I see the population spread more like this by August:

73% Federation
    14% KDF
    13% Romulan

Right now we know KDF have an 18% of the STO population, since the Devs threw that number multiple times. 1 or 2% of the KDF playerbase will become part of the Romulan playerbase. While the Federation will lose maybe 5% their total playerbase.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh please, the only thing drawing most players to the KDF is that they're not the Federation.
    That's it.

Throw in a non-Fed faction with some actual dignity and players will flock to them and leave the KDF a ghost town.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Oh please, the only thing drawing most players to the KDF is that they're not the Federation.
    That's it.

Throw in a non-Fed faction with some actual dignity and players will flock to them and leave the KDF a ghost town.

Oh please, you underestimate the KDF playerbase.

People will flock to the Romulans only as flavor-of-the-month, to experience new content and storylines. After they exhausted that and back to same-ol, they will return to the characters they heavily invested in. Only exception are true fans of the Romulans.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Since they're not really doing much of anything with the old ESD, why not color that up all green and stark, and make that the Romulan Starbase? The one thing it has going for it is, it didn't look anything like a federation base to begin with.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They already have assets for Romulan starbases in game. We encounter some in the Federation missions. I think that would be their starting point and adjust accordingly to make it a player starbase.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited March 2013
    Dear Cryptic lords can we please have a little break between the massive grinds ... pretty please!

Thanks,
    A Loyal Uhlan
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Or join one of the mega fleets. 500 people helps a lot to alleviate the burden of farming resources. :)

A new starbase to level up is a small price to pay for an independent faction.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Or join one of the mega fleets. 500 people helps a lot to alleviate the burden of farming resources. :)

A new starbase to level up is a small price to pay for an independent faction.

I know, and I'm certain it would happen. Though I worry that of everyone puts all their eggs in one basket, that basket isn't going to break. :P

Besides, be different from Fed and KDF if the Romulan community actually worked together as an actual community. Hence my idea. Because if the Romulans going to be another cut and paste job like the KDF, it would get boring in the long run.
  • Options
    daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All I hope is that Romulan Starbases can upgrade to such a state that *ANY* incoming vessel
    has this played for them in their bridge room, Star Trek style, in retrospect to the big station.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I love this idea, i have proposed doing something along these lines for those that aren't apart of a fleet, but gain access to those fleet items just as independent fleets would have access to. With the introduction of the starbase system and building, they could run wild with that, in keeping the gaming going, while allowing for us to build up assets or stations, it is endless.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!