test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Personal Derp-y moment.

elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
Today i had quite the derp moment when i was waiting for the sto launcher to .. launch.

I was with a friend who asked what's with the timer on the left?

I replied its counting down to new content, to build up hype really...

She replied 'It's wrong'

I was torn between agreeing and defending that building up the hype is a nuisance, but only to be shot down by her saying

'no.. its counting down for 2 days, yet says MAY 2013'

Confused i replied 'Yeah that's this Wednesday'

embarassed she replies.. ' but its MARCH'

What am i missing here D:
[Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
Post edited by elandarksky on

Comments

• pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah everybody's noticed that. The best guess currently is the countdown timer is associated with a teaser-trailer release of some kind for the upcoming content update in may 2013.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's counting down to some kind of teaser or reveal. Not the actual content which is, indeed, coming in May.
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ohh

I was expecting some kind of Featured episode or something :|

Ah well, thanks ^^
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's counting down, to the next countdown to be followed by the final countdown!!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ohh

I was expecting some kind of Featured episode or something :|

Ah well, thanks ^^

^^^
    Thing is -- we won't know exactly what it's counting down to, until it hits zero and they release whatever info they're planning to release (and it'll probably auto appear on that site - with the site suddenly having more info then just the current 'splash page'.)

I could be announcing gthe release of an FE series that leads up to the release of the 'Not-Season-8' May update; some further 'concrete' info regarding the May update, a teaser trailer or hell - even ANOTHER countdown ;) <---- Although that would probably cause a forum riot.

In the end, we won't know until they (Cryptic) actually tell us.:confused:;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We're leaving together
    But still it's farewell
    And maybe we'll come back
    To earth, who can tell?
    I guess there is no one to blame
    We're leaving ground
    Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Countdowns to announcements accompanied by release targets are common in the gaming industry. Microsoft has one running right now to the Xbox 3 announcement at E3. The countdown hits 0 on the second day of E3, but the dates accompanying it are the start of E3 and, "Fall 2013." Sony just ended one last month with the PS4 announcement.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My guess is the whole buildup leads to...Season 8 Dev Blog #1.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2013
    It's a troll, nothing will happen when it hits 0.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just figured it was Cryptic being bad at counting again lol. It would have been nice if the countdown was a little more clear, but I assume it is to do with maybe the announcement of the May changes.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's counting down, to the next countdown to be followed by the final countdown!!

Bingo. Either that or when it gets down to a few hours, the countdown will go away and Cryptic will say "What countdown? We never put up a countdown."

And not that final countdown, THIS ONE! It's got a carrier in it!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited March 2013
    Bingo. Either that or when it gets down to a few hours, the countdown will go away and Cryptic will say "What countdown? We never put up a countdown."

And not that final countdown, THIS ONE! It's got a carrier in it!

USS Nimitz is too OP and needs a Nerf
    GwaoHAD.png
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    I just figured it was Cryptic being bad at counting again lol. It would have been nice if the countdown was a little more clear, but I assume it is to do with maybe the announcement of the May changes.

Could be worse, they could all be so totally messed up at counting that the only number they know is 250. Been down that road won't go back. Talk about a messed up economy. Came back to this game and it was a sigh of relief. Some of you know which game I'm talking about. It starts with a G. and the devs name starts with an A.

I thought it was funny too that it was before the month changed over and wonder what they will be releasing when the countdown is up. If it's just an announcement that's a little odd.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Could be worse, they could all be so totally messed up at counting that the only number they know is 250.

They know 400, just ask the Exchange. ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited March 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    It's a troll, nothing will happen when it hits 0.

WAIT?! REALLY! So all this work has been for nothing? :mad:

:P Something will happen. As for what will happen... well, you'll just have to tune in.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited March 2013

:P Something will happen. As for what will happen... well, you'll just have to tune in.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

They pulled you out of shore leave for this, I hope you're well rested and high in fiber you're going to need it.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The following message will appear:

"The STO Server is down for maintenance. There are no patch notes as this is just for hardware maintenance. We took the option of a 3 week countdown in response to player complaints that we never gave enough lead time for server maintenance announcements. The countdown to the next maintenance period will start aftwer this maintenance cycle has concluded.

- The Cryptic STO Net Ops Team
    "

:eek::D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ciprianp1ciprianp1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Yeah, great I can't wait..... but, one minor thing. Before anything else is released fix some minor issues:
    - enourmous lag;
    - failure to connect to patch servers.
    http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/pharaohro/1_zps4bef5f66.jpg
  • kevlintallfellowkevlintallfellow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Yep, that's right. That countdown isn't to troll *us*. That countdown is to troll *you*! They told you guys to do all this hard work for something big, and made a show about keeping it a huge secret and not telling anyone about what you were doing.

Then, when the countdown hits 0, nothing happens. They say, "GOTCHA!", point, and laugh, and since they didn't tell anyone about what was going to happen, well, you can't fail to meet expectations when you never gave anyone any real expectations to begin with.

Or maybe when the countdown hits 0, your alien overlords will finally bring their plans for world domination to fruition, and from that moment on, we'll all hail Alan. The Cowboy.

Anything could happen!!!