test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DStahl: We are redoing our Character Creator for May - almost completely remade

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Yeah, very Star Trek -ish looking, isn't it?

Some designers at cryptic seem to have a very ... unique ... understanding on how certain things should look in a Star Trek game. :rolleyes:

The kits (along with the uniforms and a couple of the starship variants) are holdovers from Perpetuals vision of Star Trek Online.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The kits (along with the uniforms and a couple of the starship variants) are holdovers from Perpetuals vision of Star Trek Online.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, but some things really hurt the eye.
    On the other hand i somehow like the Excaliber ship model (well, some variations of it).

Anyway, i wanted to talk about faces.
    I really hope we get some more Human faces, everyone looks the same or at least somehow related. Some more variations would be nice.

Another thing is that we should be able to create more Alien looking species.
    Something like the salarians from Mass Effect would be cool. I know that copyright stuff prevents that, but it would be nice if we could create at least something similar.
    Differnt body shapes, Legs and Arms would be cool. Just like the draenai legs (WOW, sorry) for example.

What i would also like to see would be a slider to set the eye angle, so we could create the classic roswell aliens (the little grey ones). Like this: \/

Differnt kinds of walk animations would be also cool, like species that go to all fours when running. The possibilities are endless, just look at the different animals here on earth for inspiration.

I think one of the greatest advantages STO has compared to a TV show is the almost infinite possibilities to create all kinds of aliens. Shapes no actor could fit in are no problem in a game like this, i think STO should utilize that advantage and develop it.

Even tough i do get upset so often about that game, i like it's possibilities so much. I think Cryptic should give us even more tools to create fantasic species.
    (Not just BIG humans, how boring is that? :D)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited March 2013
    BTW. Please no more using different color palettes on the same uniform or any uniform.
    Seriously if they can't even make the black on the TNG series uniform look like the same black as on an other uniform, they should rather skip that whole Tailor customization stuff at all.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    my best guess is that they're doing a revamp of the way the game tracks faction. As several people have mentioned, the way it works now is kinda hacky.... and results in glitches.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    my best guess is that they're doing a revamp of the way the game tracks faction. As several people have mentioned, the way it works now is kinda hacky.... and results in glitches.

Perhaps. I would hope to be able to use, and possibly mix and match stuff on the Opposite Faction boffs and the like.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's rumored that the changes might be similar to Neverwinters.

If that's true, then I DO NOT WANT. I honestly hated the Neverwinter Character creator. It was just terrible.
    edited March 2013
    It was an incomplete version AFAIK. When I used it, half the UI was missing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Anyway, i wanted to talk about faces.
    I really hope we get some more Human faces, everyone looks the same or at least somehow related. Some more variations would be nice.

Another thing is that we should be able to create more Alien looking species.
    Something like the salarians from Mass Effect would be cool. I know that copyright stuff prevents that, but it would be nice if we could create at least something similar.
    Differnt body shapes, Legs and Arms would be cool. Just like the draenai legs (WOW, sorry) for example.

What i would also like to see would be a slider to set the eye angle, so we could create the classic roswell aliens (the little grey ones). Like this: \/

Differnt kinds of walk animations would be also cool, like species that go to all fours when running. The possibilities are endless, just look at the different animals here on earth for inspiration.

I think one of the greatest advantages STO has compared to a TV show is the almost infinite possibilities to create all kinds of aliens. Shapes no actor could fit in are no problem in a game like this, i think STO should utilize that advantage and develop it.

Even tough i do get upset so often about that game, i like it's possibilities so much. I think Cryptic should give us even more tools to create fantasic species.
    (Not just BIG humans, how boring is that? :D)

I agree on all these points.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's rumored that the changes might be similar to Neverwinters.

If that's true, then I DO NOT WANT. I honestly hated the Neverwinter Character creator. It was just terrible.

This is likely it. I too am not looking forward to it.

It's very unlikely the changes will come with any free benefits. One thing the Neverwinter interface does very well is showcase how superior the "paid" options are to the free ones.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't want to step on anyones toes, but some things really hurt the eye.

Like your font and color choices?
    edited March 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Like your font and color choices?
    I find that color/font combination much more comfortable than the Black/white contrast most people use. At least it resembles a bit Star Trek LCARS ;).

You mean, you like Perpetuals designs for Star Trek Online?

A tale of two Picards
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I find that color/font combination much more comfortable than the Black/white contrast most people use. At least it resembles a bit Star Trek LCARS ;).

You mean, you like Perpetuals designs for Star Trek Online?

I like the ship with the donut shaped saucer called "unknown" The rest are mostly meh, and the uniforms look like they were desined for a cartoon not a video game.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is likely it. I too am not looking forward to it.

It's very unlikely the changes will come with any free benefits. One thing the Neverwinter interface does very well is showcase how superior the "paid" options are to the free ones.

I'm a little nervous about this character creator update after playing the Neverwinter beta. You have to pay zen to customise the colours of your outfits in that game. What if they want to do that to this game? One thing PW have been consistent about is integrating this game into the same model as the rest of their games. NW could just be the first step. Like how lockboxes were introduced into STO before CO. And as far I know (I might be wrong on this one), all of their games apart from STO and CO charge you for clothing customisations. Recently even SWTOR has added a 'barbershop' that costs real money.

I can't think of anything else that would require such a massive change to their character creator. The UI is fine as it is. They could perhaps rework how you access your STF armour and off-duty outfits a bit better but that wouldn't require the whole thing to be remade. The fact they're being vague about this is also worrying. Cryptic have a tendency to push a new feature into the game that they know will be unpopular a day or two on Tribble before it hits holodeck.
    edited March 2013
    maxdred wrote: »
    I'm a little nervous about this character creator update after playing the Neverwinter beta. You have to pay zen to customise the colours of your outfits in that game.

Are you serious about that?
    You mean everytime i want to change my Characters/officers uniform or appearance i have to pay ZEN?
    No matter if i already bought that uniform or not?:confused:

A tale of two Picards
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Are you serious about that?
    You mean everytime i want to change my Characters/officers uniform or appearance i have to pay ZEN?
    No matter if i already bought that uniform or not?:confused:

You have to buy 'clothing dyes' in their zen store. The dyes can be bought in different shades and from I remember they have different costs, ranging from 400 zen to 600 zen. They're also consumables. I think they can be used about three times before you have to buy them again. The same sort of system is used in Perfect World Int and Forsaken World. Those are the only two other PW games I've played but I think it's used in most of their games.
    edited March 2013
    You have to buy 'clothing dyes' in their zen store. The dyes can be bought in different shades and from I remember they have different costs, ranging from 400 zen to 600 zen. They're also consumables. I think they can be used about three times before you have to buy them again. The same sort of system is used in Perfect World Int and Forsaken World. Those are the only two other PW games I've played but I think it's used in most of their games.

One step further to ferengi online, lol.

Seriously, i think something like that is rather contraproductive. The pressure to buy something has it's limits. I think people would get really p***ed if they would introduce something like that, especially since it was free for three years.

Since it went FTP, the "game" aspect moves more and more to the background, while PWs greed gets more noticeable each month. But if they would introduce something like that, i HOPE people would stop getting accustomed to games that demand more and more money from them, and finally say NO.
    They slowly introduced one liitle thing here and another little thig there, but if you look at the whole picture, i think it's getting rediculus.
    In my experience people will first get upset and then, when they notice Cryptic won't change anything they will adapt, as always.

Where's the line they would stop?
    Next time we have to pay ZEN to beam to our ship?

A tale of two Picards
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm a little nervous about this character creator update after playing the Neverwinter beta. You have to pay zen to customise the colours of your outfits in that game. What if they want to do that to this game? One thing PW have been consistent about is integrating this game into the same model as the rest of their games. NW could just be the first step. Like how lockboxes were introduced into STO before CO. And as far I know (I might be wrong on this one), all of their games apart from STO and CO charge you for clothing customisations. Recently even SWTOR has added a 'barbershop' that costs real money.

I can't think of anything else that would require such a massive change to their character creator. The UI is fine as it is. They could perhaps rework how you access your STF armour and off-duty outfits a bit better but that wouldn't require the whole thing to be remade. The fact they're being vague about this is also worrying. Cryptic have a tendency to push a new feature into the game that they know will be unpopular a day or two on Tribble before it hits holodeck.

This could be disastrous.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited March 2013

If they put in a system like that in this game. That will be the final nail in the coffin for me.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Noooooo! The NW creator is really bad. Really, really bad. To the point where I don't think that they can use the slogan "Cryptic is about customization" anymore. Just thinking about us getting downgraded to that makes me sad. :(
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We already have to pay EC for costume changes. That is fine, as it's an in game currency. But I would honestly be surprised if they introduced the need for real money to do that. And would no doubt lead to a hell of a backlash if they did.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    We already have to pay EC for costume changes. That is fine, as it's an in game currency. But I would honestly be surprised if they introduced the need for real money to do that. And would no doubt lead to a hell of a backlash if they did.

Making character customisation cost that much money would cause the biggest Nerd rage this forums would ever see.

After the dilithium rage with Season 7, and the recent Fleet marik rage... I kind of *hope* Cryptic has the sense not to do anything like it, but it is a possibility.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They'll probably just reveal that all of our characters are Undine/Founders. :rolleyes:
    And that we can now customize our Undine/Founder form to better suit us.
    Ohh, if only Gorn ketracel-white dreams would come true more often these days. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Noooooo! The NW creator is really bad. Really, really bad. To the point where I don't think that they can use the slogan "Cryptic is about customization" anymore. Just thinking about us getting downgraded to that makes me sad. :(
    Um, it's a beta. And there are a lot of things you can do with it. Not clothing, but.... NW seems to do clothing almost like collecting accolades. IE you don't start with any. It reminds me of DCUO in that regard.

I did some team play friday with someone who was the same race/class AND who wore the same clothes, but I was easily able to tell the difference even though the chars were the same height. Why? char customization.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    I hope they won't take away any options, or monatise some I already have, either by it being free or already having paid for it in cash from C-store.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    I was thinking about this and remembered something. One of the big changes in the may update is redoing the way char traits work. that would definately require a major change to the char creator. Another large change that we know of is that the screns have been rearranged and some of the things that were menu options on seperate screens are now buttons you click on one screen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I highly doubt they're going to remove customization.
  • obelusdoomobelusdoom Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've never been happy with the art style of STO. They've made improvements since launch but all the characters still remind me of little plastic figures. And unless you pick something drastic in the character creator you're almost guaranteed that you're character's face will look the same as everyone else's.

I liked the character creator in Guild Wars 2.
    edited March 2013
    obelusdoom wrote: »
    I've never been happy with the art style of STO. They've made improvements since launch but all the characters still remind me of little plastic figures. And unless you pick something drastic in the character creator you're almost guaranteed that you're character's face will look the same as everyone else's.

I liked the character creator in Guild Wars 2.

That depends on your graphics settings, on just how well you can use the editor.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, you guys are right. They probably won't take away customization. It's just that CO has one of the best character creators around. STO has less options, but it's still quite good. NW is way, way below STO in terms of how to make your character look. I was actually taken aback since this is the company that prides itself on customization. Also the fact that they charge 600+ zen to recolor your outfit seems so contrary to the whole "Cryptic is about customization" thing. Well...I suppose they never said anything about that customization being free...meh. Anyways that's why when I saw talk of putting the NW system in here my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO!"
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, you guys are right. They probably won't take away customization. It's just that CO has one of the best character creators around. STO has less options, but it's still quite good. NW is way, way below STO in terms of how to make your character look. I was actually taken aback since this is the company that prides itself on customization. Also the fact that they charge 600+ zen to recolor your outfit seems so contrary to the whole "Cryptic is about customization" thing. Well...I suppose they never said anything about that customization being free...meh. Anyways that's why when I saw talk of putting the NW system in here my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO!"
    That's the wierd part.... the dye packs in NW aren't used JUST on your clothes. They're also used on a variety of other things that change visuals, such as body armor, or whatever your class gets instead of body armor.... Control wizards get fuzzy robes instead of real armor....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.