test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HELP! Which fleet ship should I get?

oilsluggeroilslugger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
I am an engi that is trying to decide on what fleet ship to get for tanking and I just can decide. Tanking will be my main focus so I need a ship that excels at it. What do you think? Which ship would be best?
Post edited by oilslugger on

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When you say "tanking will be my main focus" do you that mean you actually know how to take and hold agro in this game, or do you merely mean that in your perfect world you would be the main target?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • oilsluggeroilslugger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Haha, I know how to keep aggro and have successfully tanked equal level PVE queues, against other engis as well. I am working up to buy a threat console or two if it becomes necessary.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Odyssey.

Science version will let you max out on shielding. Tactical version with the extra tac console and weapons energy will make it easier to hold aggro.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Odyssey.

What have you been smoking?

The fleet Excel has more hull, better shield HP and is just as good for a multi-purpose build, actually the stock Sovi is even better still but if you want a fleet ship the Excel is the way to go
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What do you think? Which ship would be best?

One of the cruisers.

Which fleet cruiser doesn't really matter. Similar hull (only the Flt. Heavy Retrofit is a bit lower), same bonus powers, same shield mods, similar, low-end turn rates, all have 4+ engineering consoles and a Cmdr. Eng as well as at least one Lt. Eng Boff slot .

Take a look at the Boff skills you want to use and then decide which one fits best. With a proper setup any of those cruisers can easily tank anything this game has to offer in endgame content and imho none of those really excels. Differences between those ships mostly boils down to personal preference.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    What have you been smoking?

The fleet Excel has more hull, better shield HP and is just as good for a multi-purpose build, actually the stock Sovi is even better still but if you want a fleet ship the Excel is the way to go

For tanking specifically? Odyssey has greater shields and higher ranked engineering and/or science, and isn't stuck with 3 eng ensigns.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    oilslugger wrote: »
    I am an engi that is trying to decide on what fleet ship to get for tanking and I just can decide. Tanking will be my main focus so I need a ship that excels at it. What do you think? Which ship would be best?

The Fleet Cheyenne. It tanks. It turns best of any cruiser. And it's got more nacelles than any other cruiser.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andorianblueandorianblue Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As an owner of the Fleet Excelsior I'd highly recommend it if you can afford the 5 fleet modules.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fleet Ambassador is my biggest recommendation.

The Fleet Ambassador with it's Lt. Cmdr sci and Lt. Universal offers a lot of possibilities. You could run it more tac-heavy, more sci-heavy, or eng-heavy, while still having a Cmdr Engineer, Lt tac, and ensign tac to work with.

If you have a science buddy, he can train HE 3 on your sci one, or if you are lucky enough, you could use TSS 3 if you can find it somehow. On top of that, you could use the Lt. Universal as a tac, and run like an extra beam or torp ability, along with Attack Pattern Delta 1. If you are pulling aggro and use that, not only will you gain a damage resistance buff from Delta, anything that shoots you will get debuffed.

Possible BOFf set-up:

Cmdr Engineer: E-power to whatever 1, RSP 1, E-power to shields 3, Aux to SIF 3
    Lt Cmdr. Sci: Any ensign power, HE 2 or TSS 2, HE 3 or TSS 3 (whatever you have level 3 of, use the other ability at level 2)
    Lt. Tac: TT 1, BFAW 2
    Ensign Tac: TT 1
    Lt. Universal (as a tac): A beam or torp ability, along with APD 1.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Assuming you have all tiers unlocked you have a lot of options.

I started this chart a while back (initially with just the fleet ships) to help me decide myself. I hope it's of some help to you.

http://starfish1.co.uk/chart1.jpg
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For tanking specifically? Odyssey has greater shields and higher ranked engineering and/or science, and isn't stuck with 3 eng ensigns.

I make brilliant use of that third ensign slot on my fleet Excel and threat control works so much better when you are putting out a lot of damage :P
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit. Lots of damage output, lots of survivability. Not burdened by too much eng, and graced with a wonderful amount of tac, while still having good science utility. Also it's not an Excelsior. And it comes with the very rugged Imperial skin. Only catch here is that it requires a Tier V shipyard.

Equal to Fleet Excel in Hull and Shield Mod. Slightly inferior in turn rate and inertia. However as handling goes, it's about equivalent. Also it is tactically SLIGHTLY better. Not by much, but it's there. As such it must sacrifice a SLIGHT amount of survivability. However in all other aspects (damage output, self/team heals, overall utility), it's equal.

Both ships tank very well. Both ships deal great damage (as cruisers go). Both ships are adept at their jobs, and can not only give and take it, but can do that while still supporting their team.

I would recommend both ships, but if you can, get the Imperial. Not gonna lie, I am biased and hate the Excelsior. But my observations are still sound, despite my... dislike for one of the candidates.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fleet Excelsior is a sound choice. I slightly prefer the Fleet Assault Refit because of the ensign tac. I own both ships and recommend them to any aspiring tank who also wants a respectable DPS potential. Stay away from the Odyssey Star Cruiser, which is just the freebie ship everyone got last year. If you want an Ody, get the C-store Tactical version.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • gmarcqgmarcq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If i am not mistaken isn't the star crusier the "tanky" one for T4 so shouldn't the fleet version also be "tanky"? Besides that the fleet star crusier looks bad TRIBBLE as is next on my hit list now that I have acquired both the fleet heavy cruiser refit and fleet research vessel refits.

s.w.a.t
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fleet Star Cruiser (Nomad) is different from the Odyssey Star Cruiser. I have never delved much into Star Cruisers, though I assume they would be decent support and heal ships. The Odyssey Star Cruiser is a 9 console obsolete version of the C-store variants.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The standard Assault Cruiser is actually a decent tank. If you are looking for pure tank and are not concerned at all with damage you could pick up the Fleet Galaxy. It has the highest hull hit points of all the fleet cruisers if I'm not mistaken. It is however gimped tactically. I'd personally go with the Fleet Assault Cruiser, if you have access to a T5 ship yard. If your fleet isn't at T5 you should consider the Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit (the Excelsior) and the Fleet Support Cruiser Retrofit (Ambassador) as they are both good choices as well.
    Tza0PEl.png