test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs: Request for cosmetic change in beams

cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The Borg Cutting Beam is a beautiful example of how all beams should be in this game.

The animation of it lasts for the entire firing cycle and follows the target around the firing arc.

All beams should be like that. The current 'fire 4 or 5 short duration beams per weapon per cycle' is very un-trek like and just looks bad.

If each beam weapon fired just ONE beam that 'pulsed' its damage during the firing cycle duration it would be SO much better and SO much more 'trek'.

Beam Overload and Fire at Will can remain in the current animation sequence as it does fit into the description of the ability.

Could this be done for next patch? If anything, just to get feedback from players for one patch cycle to test it out?
Post edited by cmdrskyfaller on

Comments

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So basically you want the damage application to be like the Kinetic Cutting Beam? One constant shot that deals the damage in pulses? Yeah, that does seem a little more Trek, but you would never be able to really get it down since in the shows they fired shots that never lasted more than a second at most.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    err actually they did.

STO beam pulses last half a second .. DS9/TNG/STE beams lasted a bit longer than that. Granted not the entire 4 seconds the cycle is in STO but compromises, compromises. Its more visually appealing to see one nice beam on target than a bunch of them tossed out spaztically. (for that, there's fire at will !).
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    err actually they did.

STO beam pulses last half a second .. DS9/TNG/STE beams lasted a bit longer than that. Granted not the entire 4 seconds the cycle is in STO but compromises, compromises. Its more visually appealing to see one nice beam on target than a bunch of them tossed out spaztically. (for that, there's fire at will !).

I dunno. I personally like seeing multiple BAs firing from my ship. Putting them all into just one would be... boring. I agree with them not having multiple pulses, but I would prefer that the different weapons stay separate with firing animation. Besides, it was rather exciting seeing the Ent-E firing off multiple arrays in all directions in Nemesis. Having it just use one beam that fired in a circle would seem... underwhelming.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    be more interesting if there was advanced setup options under ship status to customise firing options.between sustained, pulsed and burst.

It would be interesting, but if you think about it, there is no real way of doing that without seriously affecting gameplay.
  • Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It would be nice if ships had "beam array arcs" plotted onto their hulls, so you could see the beam tracking moving targets, especially with the huge arrays on the saucer sections of cruisers. Fire At Will would light up all the beam array tracks with energy as they discharge in all directions.
  • Options
    halfbakedbeanhalfbakedbean Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is something I have been pondering for months, not only would it tidy up space battles, it may even improve frame rates (by how much I have no idea)

I have no idea about how the game is coded so I can only say things based on what I see in the game and I am going to make a few assumptions for the purposes of easy numbers.

Currently, all energy weapons fire 4 or 5 individual shots in one weapon cycle, I am going to assume that the damage listed in the tooltip is spread out evenly across each individual shot then the cycle ends and the weapon cools down ready to repeat. The time period of the cycle plus the cooldown comes to 4 seconds (assumed for ease of numbers)
    Energy weapons also do not trigger an inhibiting cooldown like projectile weapons do to each other.

What I am thinking about is basically having energy weapons behave and treat each other like projectile weapons currently do.

I shall explain my ponderings.

Have all energy weapons deal their damage in a single shot like a torpedo does followed by its cooldown.

For example;
    Firing time = 0.5 seconds
    Cooldown = 3.5 seconds
    Total time for one weapon is obviously 4 seconds.

If anyone knows how a distributor on an engine works, they will know what I am prattling on about in the next bit.

My next suggestion is to have energy weapons impose an inhibiting cooldown on any other energy weapon that is variably depending on the number of weapons that are fitted to the ship. The inhibiting cooldown (IC) would be calculated as follows

IC=4/X

Where X is the number of energy weapons fitted to the ship and can be changed dynamically by simply adding or removing weapons of the same category. And 4 is the firing and cooldown time in seconds.

For example;
    4 beam arrays are fitted and assuming they all have the same firing time and cooldown of 4 seconds, The IC would be 1 second.

Similarly, if you have 6 weapons, the IC between each would be 0.67 seconds.

It would follow that the more weapons you add, the less time the power has in between shots to recover.

I just hope I made some kind of sense.