test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so...what now?

br3akingforcebr3akingforce Member Posts: 106 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
ok, so i'm a va, flying a ship i like (mobius) with mostly mkxii gear, and i have most of the ships i'm interested in in my collection. I'm in a great fleet, and am progressing through the rep systems and doff missions. I have completed all the storyline missions (once, except in a couple cases).

I have little to no interest in the pvp in this game.

please tell me that estf's and fleet mark events are not the pinnacle of endgame in-ship pve content.

I also have little interest in getting out of my ship and playing City of Star Trek on one of the planets.

I've heard the phrase "no win scenario", but am not clear on exactly what it is. and "kerrat" is pvp, right?

In other words, what's the point of getting better gear (by doing estf's), or maximizing my ship's potential with boffs? slightly faster future estf's?

I could probaly advance my character further, but...why?
Post edited by br3akingforce on

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    please tell me that estf's and fleet mark events are not the pinnacle of endgame in-ship pve content.

I would but to do so would be a lie... sorry, if its any consolation there is a new Star trek game in the works called Excalibur the release date sadly to TBD
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    yea, the official endgame pve content is a morass of untapped potential reduced to marks events.
    though this isnt so much cryptics fault as it is the fault of progression gamers demanding more things to grind for

my advice is hit the foundry content.
    spawn of medusa series has ground stuff, but its not too bad.
    'another mans hell' is another decent one.

there is plently of 'ship only' content with varying degrees of difficluty.
    but as i said of untapped potential, there arent enough filters to narrow down the content by much. i usually just hit the custom filter & select 'longer than 30 minutes'.

ok, foundry is a good suggestion, and one i might end up following... But...what for? my understanding is that foundry rewards are whatever drops during the mission (usually not anything good..just random greens and maybe blues), and a small amount of dil. right? so i'd just be running it for the story (which, while no doubt good and well thought out, won't be canon).
    is the fault of progression gamers demanding more things to grind for

like what? i thought i understood that for the most part, what they did was take the stuff that was already available, and lock it behind repgates.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I would but to do so would be a lie... sorry, if its any consolation there is a new Star trek game in the works called Excalibur the release date sadly to TBD
    What new game?
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    you said you where looking for content.
    now you say you want farm & grind? if you have all the stuff you want why do you want grindwheels rather than content?

I am looking for content. preferrably harder content, with rewards commensurate to the difficulty.

For example, WoW: regular dungeons (stf's) prepare you with player experience (not just character experience) and gear for heroics. heroics (estf's) prepare you with player experience and gear for raids. raids (no sto equivalent, afaik) prepare you for heroic raids. heroic raids prepare you for the next round of heroics and raids, which are released before most people are able to crush the old content.

It's a system that makes people want to complete content not just to have shiny gear. without it, and the player experience you gain, things in the future are much more difficult.

In sto: why advance beyond being able to reliably complete estf's?
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hive Space Elite. That will tide you over until S8 with it's new PvE HELL content comes out.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    What new game?

ST Excalibur, it's made by the same peeps who made Bridge commander
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That new game looks a lot like infinite space that got cancelled trust me unless it's sanctioned by cbs this won't work
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hive Space Elite. That will tide you over until S8 with it's new PvE HELL content comes out.

This tbh. It's the only one I find to be a TRIBBLE shoot if you'll even finish it.
  • Options
    dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Color me confused, you don't want to grind but then compare and suggest end game be more like WoW progression which is basically is just a huge repeating grind with different tiers.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok, so i'm a va, flying a ship i like (mobius) with mostly mkxii gear, and i have most of the ships i'm interested in in my collection. I'm in a great fleet, and am progressing through the rep systems and doff missions. I have completed all the storyline missions (once, except in a couple cases).

I also have little interest in getting out of my ship and playing City of Star Trek on one of the planets.

I've heard the phrase "no win scenario", but am not clear on exactly what it is. and "kerrat" is pvp, right?

In other words, what's the point of getting better gear (by doing estf's), or maximizing my ship's potential with boffs? slightly faster future estf's?

Roll a Klingon. Or Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan, or whatever your space pirate of choice is.

If you'd rather not be that awesome, roll a new Fed character in a different career and learn a whole new style of play.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    ipmonitoripmonitor Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2013

why dont you want to pvp. most of this game is rather easy and repetitive. pvp is just another aspect of the game and gives you new challenges to overcome. playing ai is fun but playing another human being which gives you unlimited variation and challenge is well challenging and exiting. and the act of the pvp will enhance your skill in every aspect of this game.
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yea, use klink tanks and make sure to only aggro one cube at a time keep as many resist debuffs stacked as you can
    biggest ship calls the targets & takes first shots.

havnt tested but i think the borg will prefer the space goose which cant die until the cutscene.

Honestly the cubes are the least of my worries lol.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Alts.

Foundry (do it for it's own sake).

Roleplay (ditto).

PVP anyway (ditto again).

Play Skyrim or some other time-devouring game until May (a little break never hurt anyone).

Go play outside in the sun, enjoy the nice spring weather, meet friends and seek companionship with the gender of your choice (that's for if you're REALLY desperate).
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am looking for content. preferrably harder content, with rewards commensurate to the difficulty.

For example, WoW: regular dungeons (stf's) prepare you with player experience (not just character experience) and gear for heroics. heroics (estf's) prepare you with player experience and gear for raids. raids (no sto equivalent, afaik) prepare you for heroic raids. heroic raids prepare you for the next round of heroics and raids, which are released before most people are able to crush the old content.

It's a system that makes people want to complete content not just to have shiny gear. without it, and the player experience you gain, things in the future are much more difficult.

In sto: why advance beyond being able to reliably complete estf's?

If you want harder content, that's what PvP is for. You aren't gonna find PvE content that's a whole lot more challenging than what's offered in the Elite STFs. Those are the most powerful NPCs you'll find, I think, unless someone's made a Foundry mission with very powerful NPCs attacking en-masse.

PvP is where the real challenge is at, if you're looking for one. You're not gonna get one from PvE, especially not once you figure out how to beat it in each specific situation. I recommend you give PvP a try, despite the fact that you said you're 'not interested'.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ipmonitor wrote: »
    why dont you want to pvp. most of this game is rather easy and repetitive. pvp is just another aspect of the game and gives you new challenges to overcome. playing ai is fun but playing another human being which gives you unlimited variation and challenge is well challenging and exiting. and the act of the pvp will enhance your skill in every aspect of this game.

This. PvP forces you to learn and understand at least the basic mechanics of how stuff actually works. It's also where offensive science skills come into play a little more. If he's really looking for a challenge and for harder content, PvP is where he ought to look. There isn't much there, but it's more challenging than shooting the mindless NPCs.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This. PvP forces you to learn and understand at least the basic mechanics of how stuff actually works. It's also where offensive science skills come into play a little more. If he's really looking for a challenge and for harder content, PvP is where he ought to look. There isn't much there, but it's more challenging than shooting the mindless NPCs.

Ditto this. Unfortunately, the top endgame tier of play in virtually any MMO is PvP. There will always be a dearth of new content, since even adding something new every week would hardly be feasible, and either everyone would finish it the first day, or it would be so difficult that casual players would cry foul. I finished the dominion FE on 4 toons in an afternoon (and evening) of play, by the final run it was *yawn* face roll. I had planned to grind out some more dominion polaron beams, but I dread that prospect with every fiber of my being now (the spacewalk, while cool the first time, is incredibly tedious after that).

I know why most people are afraid to try PvP - there's frustration, trash talk, and some measure of humiliation, especially if you have any kind of emotional RP investment in you ship and gear. It sucks to get into, in every MMO, simply because of some of the (14 year old) players in it.

Go in, expect to do fairly poorly, but instead of getting upset, channel your frustration into improving your playing and shipbuilding, make judicious use of the ignore function, and within a week or two, trust me, you will be having fun.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    dashuk2381 wrote: »
    Color me confused, you don't want to grind but then compare and suggest end game be more like WoW progression which is basically is just a huge repeating grind with different tiers.

ok, you're right. i may have misspoken or have been misunderstood. I'm not anti-grind. I'm anti-pointless grind.

ok, yeah...i might have to check out pvp. it's just not something i've ever taken an interest in here.
    sander233 wrote: »
    Roll a Klingon. Or Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan, or whatever your space pirate of choice is.

If you'd rather not be that awesome, roll a new Fed character in a different career and learn a whole new style of play.

i do have a kdf character (i'm planning on flight deck cruisers), but tbh, i'd rather focus on maximizing one character, rather than spreading my attention around a few.
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i would say no win is a area in which you can look at trying since it is the hardest space mission in STO with what i believe to be a 95-97% failure rate also the foundry has wonderful stories you can try out i sometimes find myself immersed in one if i really like it. also PVP will help you fine tune your ship for maximum output. i personally do all of it. also if your in a fleet why not help out the Junior members or the new guys to the game help understand it better we vets need to help the new guys get their legs about them ;) apart from that all i can really say is wait till Thursday for when the countdown timer ends and we see the big thing the devs have cooked up for us.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    ST Excalibur, it's made by the same peeps who made Bridge commander

Um, no, it's made by Modders who were fans of the original Bridge Commander (and that's not a bad thing); but work seems to have slowed to a crawl or completely stalled for the most part.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not sure why, but I actually like the ground missions. I just wish they were more like a real Star Trek episode or movie and they were not all so much like "go in guns a blazing and kill, kill, kill."

Its sad that even the ground missions like system patrols, don't have more then Kill 5 groups of enemies and check a few computers to see what the researchers at that base were doing. Or the variation of scan a few alien artifacts and send the report to Star Fleet...surely they could come up with more variations then that, that do not require the player to go in guns a blazing...oh and I forgot the ones where there is a dispute on the planet and you need to talk to a couple of NPC's to settle it, with no way to fail it becomes nothing more then a grind for exp. So once you hit 50 no sense in doing patrols anymore.

Also in a Romulan sector the Romulan lady you contact says that most of the systems have patrols and I can't find one that does...can't see why she says they do then...
  • Options
    eraserfisheraserfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It'd be nice if there was an Engineering mini-game, and that it would look something like the System Shock or Bioshock hacking games. Trip the wrong switch, and something bad happens.

So let's say you're playing a ground STF where you're sneaking around the inside of a Borg cube, but must constantly re-wire their scanners or whatever to evade detection. In a regular STF, the grid would be smaller and have fewer dead ends, but an elite STF would have a much larger grid and have several dead ends. Trip an alarm, and you not only fail the bonus objective, but also get swarmed by drones for the rest of the instance.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In my opinion, there are three phases to this game. Phase one, leveling up. Phase 2, hitting lvl 50 and shifting focus to ship building. Once that's done, at least for me , the focus has moved to the social aspects of the game; Fleets, RP and whatnot.

And I don't understand the disdain people have for PvP. If you want a challenge, that's the thing to do. PvE is predictable. You know what ships to what, and in what order. A cube is always going to spit a plasma torp, followed by a tractor beam. A galor will always use evasive maneuvers and feedback pulse. What PvP brings is unpredictability; people are infinitely devious, and you never know with what you're going to be hit. And as a bonus, becoming a decent PvPer will make you a godlike PvEer.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    St Excalibur is basically modders who have rebuild the bridge commander engine from the ground up to be able to handle HD graphics, they also add a slew more ships and overall better "trek-ness".

In short: ST excalibur shapes up to be what STO failed to become, in terms of combat.

If ANY of you played bridge commander, remember the nano FX mod. yeah thats right you coudl consider Excalibur that on awesomnium crack.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hit the wall on my main a few weeks ago (I just couldn't take hacking one more drone on Defera), so I've been playing my two main alts, especially my Klingon engineer. It's a nice change of pace until Not Season 8 comes out and I switch back to my Fed main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    icybrillianceicybrilliance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hit the "so... what now" phase a little over a year ago. Ended up quitting rather than do eSTFs or pvp over and over.

On returning the game felt new and interesting all over again. Slightly disappointed there isn't a new end game phase for after eSTFs though. And that despite a bunch of new stuff, Mako/Omega/KHG/Borg are still amongst the best equipment.