test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gold membership advantage

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi, I have played only since the free to play. I tried a few things and than take a month of gold membership the next week-end. I really like the game, but I find that there are not many advantages to be gold member. It unlock one character slot, give you 400 CP, but that's about that. OK, it's allow you to unlock some things that silver member cannot. But common, with 400 points you cannot do much. I'm already Commander, but I have a lot of thing to unlock, but 400 CP. OK, those thing are not essential, fine, but I took gold membership to unlock them. So, if I am to be unable to do so, I will continue with F2P.

Don't take me wrong, I really like the game, before I saw what little gold membership receive, I was even thinking to the lifetime subscription. So, give more CP and/or unlock some things like cargo, bank spaces and/or lower the prices of items that are bought with CP by 15-20% for gold member. But give us a big more incentive! I want to help you make money and make the game better, but I want a bit more in return.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Hi, I have played only since the free to play. I tried a few things and than take a month of gold membership the next week-end. I really like the game, but I find that there are not many advantages to be gold member. It unlock one character slot, give you 400 CP, but that's about that. OK, it's allow you to unlock some things that silver member cannot. But common, with 400 points you cannot do much. I'm already Commander, but I have a lot of thing to unlock, but 400 CP. OK, those thing are not essential, fine, but I took gold membership to unlock them. So, if I am to be unable to do so, I will continue with F2P.

Don't take me wrong, I really like the game, before I saw what little gold membership receive, I was even thinking to the lifetime subscription. So, give more CP and/or unlock some things like cargo, bank spaces and/or lower the prices of items that are bought with CP by 15-20% for gold member. But give us a big more incentive! I want to help you make money and make the game better, but I want a bit more in return.

we asked, begged, pleaded, yelled at, and anything else we could to get them to do jsut that. We were better served yelling at the nearest wall. They have no interest in making it more worthwhile.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm just happy that I got the lifetime subscription early enough that by the time F2P rolled around, I had got my money's worth of game time. I bought it fully expecting to play for more than a year and a half.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They won't.... and getting a lifetime account now would be an unprofitable choice. I got mine when the game released so I got my monies worth, everything now is just extra. It's not worth it to step up to gold, it's cheaper in the long run to purchase those extra character slots when needed. Seeing that we were ignored during F2P beta we should expect more c-store less gold/lifer incentive. They make more money nickle and diming everyone.... not just the F2P players. They should offer a huge bonus package that could come with a lifetime purchase, of which I hope they award it to current lifers. But, seeing their current F2P model, this would provide a quick influx of cash. Of course PWE is pretty much the King of F2P games from what I've seen. I personally can't predict where the game will be in one year.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the reply, even if they are not very encouraging. So, from what I see, I will continue as F2P, even if some limitation bother me. And if they bother me too much, I will just go find something else. I also play to LotRO, their F2P is well done and even a month of VIP (gold membership) unlock a lock of things and give you points.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

well, i can tell you one thing that, to me, makes it worth it. this past weekend i saw something i had not seen since week 1 of beta and launch.. a sign on queue. Anne who has a silver acct queued in @ 1569 of 1569
    i launched a minute or two later, she was up to 900 or so, and i was number 3. no to low queue rates makes it worth it

now if they made the captains table more intersting and gold only that would be a perk
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They really should have followed Turbine in the hybrid game model. There needs to be an advantage to being a subscriber compared to an f2p player. I played LotRO too I left due to the mazes of moria, when they went f2p I decided to check it out all the restrictions that apply to f2p players also applied to full players who didn't have an active sub. For example I had a number of characers on the account, I could however only access one of them. The model Turbine use has worked well for them in both DDO and LotRO without punishing the subscribers or life time members.

To me they should do the following:
    1. Up the amount of the stipend it should be atleast 1000cp
    2. Make c-store ships available for free for the promotion token, after the free one then they can pay whatever the price is like you do with dilithium at the moment. This would require an additional token for f2p players so they can't get c-store ships for free.
    3. Restrict access to parts of the game for f2p players and chage c-points if f2p want access to those parts for example STFs or even entire sectors
    4. Remove the c-point cost of uniform cosmetics for subscribers, not the c-store ones but the ones in the tailor
    5. Give subscribers more than one extra character slot for free, they should have atleast three characters slots on both sides to cover all the careers.

That's just a few of the things.

As it is there is no incentive to be a subscriber even after subscription you do not lose anything by going f2p. This is wong. I am not the only person who would be willing to subscribe, even though it costs more than a WoW subscription dieto VAT about £10.99 compared to £8.99 a month, if there was actually an incentive to do so. I have seen f2pers like myself asking what the advantagers are in game and when told basically saying it isn't worth it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Gold gives you:

- More bank slots
    - More Inventory slots
    - Another character slot
    - Higher credit limit
    - Free respec tokens per rank
    - Foundry slots and those
    - 400 CP
    - Some other scraps

Frankly, it gives almost everything you've asked for. In my opinion a 15-20% discount would be better for frequent buyers than the 400 CP - but for people who have already purchased all they want, then saving the CP is really better imo.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    If you don't want to pay for it don't. Otherwise if you want to help the company because you like the game, well buy some CP. Silver is not supposed to be some sort of trial and Perfect World is a company that makes it's revenue out of the free to play model.

But anyway gold already gets you more bank, inventory space, more Boff spots, respec tokens, veteran rewards and so on i don't get where you got your information that it's just 400 cp and a character slot. A fair number of new people i've talked to in the game plan on going gold just to get all the initial perks.

It's a real shame that a few people are willing to ruin the game experience for the majority of the population just to feel "exclusive".
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    nynik wrote:

Gold gives you:

- More bank slots
    - More Inventory slots
    - Another character slot
    - Higher credit limit
    - 400 CP
    - Some other scraps

Most of which you don't lose when going back to f2p. Turbine made it so you have the same restrictions as f2p even to past subscribers if you didn't have an active subscription. You don't lose anything that is outside of the f2p access it is just locked until you either subscribe or pay for them to be unlocked. As such buy the game for cheap and then don't subscribe.

It costs about £7+ for the game depending on where you go. The sub is £10+ including VAT, that roughly equates to $15 that's twice the price of 500cp let alone the 400 stipend, 1000cp is less than that. For less than 2 months sub I can get 2500cp (roughly £20.80) yet it would cost me £70+ to get that through subscription stipend -300cp difference. For roughly £46.66 I could have 5000 cp.

The foundry slots are for creating the missions. How many of the average players do you think in reality are making them?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    nynik wrote:

Gold gives you:

- More bank slots
    - More Inventory slots
    - Another character slot
    - Higher credit limit
    - 400 CP
    - Some other scraps

Frankly, it gives almost everything you've asked for. In my opinion a 15-20% discount would be better for frequent buyers than the 400 CP - but for people who have already purchased all they want, then saving the CP is really better imo.

All of which listed would be cheaper in the long run as a one time purchase IMO. I did the same thing in LOTRO, I just purchased everything when it became F2P. The only real Lifer/Gold advantage is its faster getting into the game. I do wish we did get a discount from the C-Store, it would be a huge incentive IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They should have just made certain C-Store items included in the subscription, like they did for Champions Online, but no. That would make too much sense!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's a F2P game now, so they don't really expect you to sub. They'll take your 10$ (= 15$ - 400CP) if you're willing to give it to them, but they're not really aiming at taking your money this way. They basically want you to play the just play the game for free, and buy the items you want in the C-Store. In the long run, it's more profitable for them to get money from the C-store, and it's better for the players because they'll have to keep the game interesting so F2P members will continue to play and buy stuff.

BTW, beside all the unlocks they give you as a gold member, you also get priority login. During the weekend the servers were full with a login queue of 700-2000, and as a gold member I immediately entered the queue at position 4 out of 726 and then (later) 26 out of 2000. Took only a few seconds to login. From what I read in the forums - some silvers took a bit more than that to get into the game.
  • Options
    cee777cee777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/community/veteran-rewards/

Here is a list of what is suppose to be provided upon signing up for gold membership. But, after paying for these services I haven't been able to access any of them. Also, before this, I bought a bridge officer which never showed up.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They really should set up a bot to automatically lock these old threads since it's pretty clear that the forum rules don't get a lot of attention.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As someone who does pay, I appreciate the fact that the difference between my account and a free one is nothing more than convenience items.

That's one of the things I really like about this F2P model that Cryptic took.

With the exception of the Vet Rewards and the Steam special, there is nothing I have access too that F2P players can't get, if they want to spend the C-Points on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...