test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leaver Penalty; and getting screwed by it

jeddanisjeddanis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I understand the want of a penalty for those that quit a stf early, however there are circumstances under which we should be allowed to leave.

I was just stuck with a 4 person team, and at least 2 of the others with me had no business whatsoever being on an Elite level stf. Invariably I get stuck shouldering the load and carrying the dead weight of players that are not contributing to the success of the stf, and they happily float around doing nothing and collect an elite reward for leeching my work.

I also have been dumped into stf's that have already been started/failed and you receive a penalty for leaving that also?? I go into an stf planning to not only complete it but try for the optionals, so to get thrown into an infected elite with generators gone and spheres everywhere (optional failed on entry) is ridiculous, and if you leave you get penalized?

My suggestion is to allow individuals that are thrown into a 4 person team, or thrown into a stf that has been started and failed without you ever being there without penalty. Its faster to just say OH WELL and try again than recover from someone else's failure.

Anyway, my current #1 on my wishlistthatwilllikelyneverhappen... just needed to vent, thoughts? :D
Post edited by jeddanis on

Comments

• logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You have to understand that everyone has the right to join an elite STF regardless of whether you feel that they are "ready" for it. If you pug, you might not get the teammates you want. If you are knowledgeable, you might want to help them out.

If you do not like getting "thrown" into an STF with a failed optional, I suggest you not use the PUG queues as the goal of those queues are to allow people to complete missions if someone leaves rather than to help you get the optional.
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Join the STF channels (EliteSTF, PublicEliteSTF, Elite STF) they always make private queues, if you leave you don't have penalty
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Our fleet is big enough where we only do privates.

But I do love ground pugs they made me the elite player I am today.

I still do them just for fun and the laughs nothing like noobs shooting away all adapted and such.

While they ignore the other team members who like to tell you what you should always do.
    download.jpg
  • ishantilishantil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just got hit with this for leaving when the game split my team off of me. So I tried to quit out and get into a team and got hit with the penalty.

I think it's a bunch of BS.

I came close to quitting the game entirely, tonight. Which would basically mean no more money for Perfect World from me ever again.

Just sayin'
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Stop Doing Pugs!
  • jeddanisjeddanis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yea my first choice is always a fleet team, but that is not always an option.

Its not that people don't know what they are doing, they are ill equipped or AFK... there is no helping a person who is either not at the computer, or equipped in a way that makes them impossible to 'fix' before doing an elite level.

And maybe I should have made it more clear that this was in regards to pug events, so suggesting not doing a pug event doesn't address the issue with a pug event, now does it :)
    edited March 2013
    mrkollins wrote: »
    Join the STF channels (EliteSTF, PublicEliteSTF, Elite STF) they always make private queues, if you leave you don't have penalty

very helpfull idea, tyvm i will! :)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wish there were an option, like in many multiplayer game, to avoid already started STF. Several time I got myself thrown into a complete failure, optional failed, 2-3 peoples running around like headless chicken followed by an endless stream of very angry borgs. I don't want to spend 1hour or 2 to try doing it. I don't want to have dozen of injuries. I don't want to be unable to kill the cube because there is simply not enough DPS, and people to do so, and we wipe every time. I don't want to be part of someone's else failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    mrkollins has the ticket, i joined PublicEliteSTF, tried the 20 man Fed Fleet Defense thinking if i could get 19 other people that knew what they were doing it was worth trying.

We finished it in less than 10 minutes, no failures.. and 113 fleet marks. best run I have ever been a part of.

Thanks again MrK, awesome suggestion! :D
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Don't PUG. If that isn't an option, don.t PUG weekends, or during bonus events. That brings out the griefers, leeches, AFKers, and the Derps. I usually PUG on weekdays off the event calendars. That seems to bring out the career STFers,who usually end them quickly, and brutally. I might not get bonus awards, but it guarantees optionals, and rapid success.
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No problem :)
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've gotten hit with the penalty a couple times. Thing is it seems almost random. I almost never left first(unless something arises), even if a failed optional. I just plod through it. The price you pay for PUGing. However, there have been several times that someone else bails out leaving 4 of us. I will usually wait to see if someone else gets added in to make us 5 again, but if nobody shows up, I will bail. Sometimes I can go right back into the que and other times I get the penalty. Seems totally random. I think if you're the first to leave, you should get penalty. Someone may not always be leaving in a snit over a failed optional, but most of the times that is why. I think any other leavers should not be penalized. STFs are "recommended for 5 players". If there are no longer 5 players, then 2-5 should be able to leave with no penalty. A little off topic, but I actually shamed someone into sticking around a failed optional ISE the other day. He/she got mad that some newbies blew the generators early(ignoring the 10% rule, though I don't think it was intentional). He/she says "You're on your own". I said "run away little girl". He/She ended up staying. And we did the rest just fine. Kind of funny really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The STF system as a whole is another shining example of classic Cryptic poor design. Don't look for it to be fixed any time soon.

For my part, if I have to abandon a PUG STF I don't worry about it. I have enough alts to keep me occupied till the timer runs down.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's really 3 issues here, and the only fix for all 3 is private STF's.

1) People without the proper gear and or build for Elite STF's. There is simply nothing at all that can be done about this, short of putting in some sort of gear check before letting people queue up for a STF. Something that checks to make sure all the ships weapons, shields, ect... are all Mk XI at least.

Not sure how well such a system would actually work, or how hard it would be to put into place.

2) People going AFK. There should be something in the game that punishes people for going AFK in any sort of PUG, and according to Cryptic that's something they're working on.

3) Entering a STF that has failed the optional. Technically the STF hasn't failed just because the optional has, you can still win the STF and get the rewards for doing so. But I can see why someone wouldn't want to join a STF that's 3/4th of the way done.

But again this comes down to how hard it is to code, because then the system would have to check every STF and see if the optional has failed or not yet. Even then you'd end up with being put in a STF that's 10 seconds away from failing the optional. So making the change wouldn't really have much effect.