test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Environmental hazards?

Is there any way to either:

A- put in an environmental hazard, i.e. an area effect that subtracts the player's (or npc's) health over time, similar to the DOT burns from thrown plasma grenades?
B- script in a player shield/health loss.

So far it seems that all the effects in the game are purely visual, the fires, plasma leaks and steam are all "just for show". I was wanting to make a navigation puzzle based on a DOT effect and could use some help. B is really just for a work around, if I can add a player health loss I can tie it to a reached trigger and stick that on a fire.

Failing this I'll use invisible walls to stop the player happily wandering through plasma fires. I'd just prefer to burn them than block them... (as worrying as that sounds >.< )
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for more details
Post edited by remairtamec on

Comments

• Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Currently, no. The only way to cause damage to a player is if something is shooting at them.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Due to a fear that players will create missions that are designed to do nothing but grief players, the ability to inflict environmental damage has been restricted from authors. There was a time I would have argued 'noone would write a mission that obnoxious...but lately I have begun to wonder if that is entirely true anymore...'

Right now, the only possible penalty on players would be the accumulation of wounds, since we dont have equipment degradation or ship loss on death. Because of this I have wondered why it is that we are still restricted from doing this. Ok like I said even I am questioning whether people would write TRIBBLE missions designed to kill people, but at the same time i thought that was the whole bloody point of the report and star system to begin with?
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »
    Due to a fear that players will create missions that are designed to do nothing but grief players, the ability to inflict environmental damage has been restricted from authors. There was a time I would have argued 'noone would write a mission that obnoxious...but lately I have begun to wonder if that is entirely true anymore...'

People absolutely will write missions designed to grief players. However I imagine they would get downrate pretty quickly and fall into obscurity like those "out" missions from last week.

I should point out, though, that it is possible to damage the player by making them fall from a great height. You won't be able to kill the player, but falls from far enough will kill BOFFs.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I should point out, though, that it is possible to damage the player by making them fall from a great height. You won't be able to kill the player, but falls from far enough will kill BOFFs.

This is true, but have you ever tried to build an area to compensate for the fact that a player doesnt die, and they have a good chance of killing whatever you put at the bottom of that pit in order to finish the job? *shakes his fist at Filbones wherever he is*
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    castsbugc wrote: »
    This is true, but have you ever tried to build an area to compensate for the fact that a player doesnt die, and they have a good chance of killing whatever you put at the bottom of that pit in order to finish the job? *shakes his fist at Filbones wherever he is*

That's something I do often. I like to build way up in the sky, as do many of us, and I know that any time you have something to jump off of, people will jump off of it. I don't really know why, some kind of deep lemming-like psychological problem buried in the human psyche perhaps. I wouldn't know, Stigs think differently.

Anyway, any time I build up in the sky where there's a chance people might fall, I always put a guy called QQ at the bottom (He's a rather sarcastic member of the Q continuum) who makes fun of you, then spawns a bunch of Targ captain mobs to kill you so that you may respawn back up in the sky map where you belong. But yeah, there's always the chance that they could somehow make it out alive, in which case they've broken the mission and will have to restart.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    remairtamecremairtamec Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Although I imagine an easier way to grief people would simply be to surround a spawn point with as many groups of the highest level as the editor will let you plop down. Die -> respawn -> die type thing. I imagine it's just low on the priority list for things to be added to the foundry.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's a pity I can't do what I intended but I can just work around it using invisible walls. If I can't burn the player I can at least make their self preservation instinct override their attempts to walk to fire. It's probably for the best otherwise players with enough health could just run through all the hazards and shrug them off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for more details
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, some of the restrictions they put in really don't work. If people want to make a bad mission they will. Spawn camp the initial spawn point with 4 captain mobs..... or just make the player spawn inside a box with no possibility of escape.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, some of the restrictions they put in really don't work. If people want to make a bad mission they will. Spawn camp the initial spawn point with 4 captain mobs..... or just make the player spawn inside a box with no possibility of escape.

Exactly. Cryptic we don't need a nanny! I mean censor out obscenity but stop all this other stuff.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.