test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Planner

Comments

• attilio87attilio87 Member Posts: 264 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    here's one major bug i've noticed; loading a build made with an earlier version that i converted to the new format works just fine, but when i try to load one made with version 5, i get stuck with a perpetual loading bar...something in those files is not playing nice with your loading code

i have windows 7 with firefox 19.0 if that helps anything

You're talking about a build that you saved to a file, correct? I'll look into it. I did just make some changes to the planner so I would suggest this. 1) Try loading the new file again. 2) If you still have a problem, covert the old file again and try it.

If you're still having a problem, send me a message through the site's contact page and after I reply you can send me the old and new files. Those should help narrow the problem.
    attilio.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    attilio87 wrote: »
    If you still have a problem, covert the old file again and try it.

i don't have the old file anymore; i deleted it after running it through the converter

that file also doesn't have any equipment attached to the ship or character, and no powers set; it's just the ship itself and the skill tree, unlike the one i made with version 5 that has all the bells and whistles, which is the one that isn't loading

EDIT: okay, i just filled out the converted file with equipment and powers, saved that to my desktop, then tried to load it back into the planner, and now that one won't load either

so, how do i send the files for you to look over?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2013
    i don't have the old file anymore; i deleted it after running it through the converter

that file also doesn't have any equipment attached to the ship or character, and no powers set; it's just the ship itself and the skill tree, unlike the one i made with version 5 that has all the bells and whistles, which is the one that isn't loading

EDIT: okay, i just filled out the converted file with equipment and powers, saved that to my desktop, then tried to load it back into the planner, and now that one won't load either

so, how do i send the files for you to look over?

As I said in my previous post, send me a message through the site's contact page which is here http://www.stoacademy.com/contact.php. When I reply you can attach the files to the email and send it to me that way. I just don't want to post my email on here to avoid spam bots getting it :D
    attilio.png
  • hyprodimushyprodimus Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The new version looks great! Nice work. Ive done some UI and app work myself and I know it can be tedious making everything work as intended.

Theres a few things Ive noticed.
    1) The Copy feature only works for weapons. Could we do that for consoles too?
    2) Copying weapons sets it to "infinity". Not really a big deal though
    3) The Vesta's ensign universal resets every time you load the page. The LtC seems to work though. See here http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Artemis49_0

4) The Support Retrofit doesnt have a Commander slot.
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey everyone, just a quick update for all Internet Explorer users. I made some changes just now that should resolve the issues you were having. If you are still having problems please give me details on the problem and what version of Internet Explorer you are using.

For those who don't know, Internet Explorer is very picky unlike Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and other browsers. That's why issues tend to pop up for Internet Explorer users. Hopefully the changes I just made gets it working for you.

The issues I listed seem to be fixed, thanks!

(I remember when early versions of IE were criticized for not being standards-compliant. Now, I guess it is more standards-compliant than some others, and we see the result. Be careful what you wish for...)
    edited March 2013
    hyprodimus wrote: »
    The new version looks great! Nice work. Ive done some UI and app work myself and I know it can be tedious making everything work as intended.

Theres a few things Ive noticed.
    1) The Copy feature only works for weapons. Could we do that for consoles too?
    2) Copying weapons sets it to "infinity". Not really a big deal though
    3) The Vesta's ensign universal resets every time you load the page. The LtC seems to work though. See here http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Artemis49_0

4) The Support Retrofit doesnt have a Commander slot.

1) I have copying consoles on my list of things to add. I added weapon copying yesterday pretty much for testing purposes before adding it to other areas.

2) I saw the "infinity" bug today and fixed it. Double check it and if you're still having a problem let me know.

I'll look into 3 and 4 as soon as possible.
    lagunad wrote: »
    The issues I listed seem to be fixed, thanks!

(I remember when early versions of IE were criticized for not being standards-compliant. Now, I guess it is more standards-compliant than some others, and we see the result. Be careful what you wish for...)

Haha IE has always been a problem in one way or another. I'm glad that it seems to be fixed now. :D
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    hyprodimus wrote: »
    3) The Vesta's ensign universal resets every time you load the page...

This should be working correctly now. I'm surprised more people haven't come across this bug yet since it could have affected all universal slots.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    I saved a build (to link and local file), but it didn't appear in the list of saved links. So I went to the MySkillPlanner page, clicked Share, and instead of sharing, it deleted the build.

Then I tried to reload the deleted build from the file I had saved a few moments earlier. That locks up the page indefinitely on the "loading" progress bar.

Before making that full build (with all equipment, BOffs, etc), I saved a build with only my skills (to link and file). Attempting to load *that* from the file also locks up the page on the "loading" progress bar.

Attempting to load the skill-only build from a link seems to work.

So I saved a copy of that build to a new file+link with a different name, and *that* build now doesn't appear in the dropdown list. I went to MySkillPlanner, clicked Share on the copy, and it was deleted (again). Attempting to reload it from the file I saved locks up on the progress bar (again). So this seems to be completely reproducible.
    edited March 2013
    I saved a build (to link and local file), but it didn't appear in the list of saved links. So I went to the MySkillPlanner page, clicked Share, and instead of sharing, it deleted the build.

Then I tried to reload the deleted build from the file I had saved a few moments earlier. That locks up the page indefinitely on the "loading" progress bar.

Before making that full build (with all equipment, BOffs, etc), I saved a build with only my skills (to link and file). Attempting to load *that* from the file also locks up the page on the "loading" progress bar.

So I saved a copy of that build to a new file+link with a different name, and *that* build now doesn't appear in the dropdown list. I went to MySkillPlanner, clicked Share on the copy, and it was deleted (again). Attempting to reload it from the file I saved locks up on the progress bar (again). So this seems to be completely reproducible.

^^^this

the problem is still there; it didn't get fixed
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited March 2013

I'm going to work on all of this today and reply when I have a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As for the file, I do know there is a problem with saving them. I thought I corrected it but I guess not. I can manually fix your file if you want. Just send me a message through my site's contact page. After I reply you can attach the file to the email and send it to me.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    FIXES:

When saving to a link, it should appear in the list of saved links and load links.

The My Skill Planner page is now working properly.

Saving and loading from a file is working correctly. If you are having a problem with your file then it is most likely because the file was created before this fix. Contact me through my site so I can manually fix it for you.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    Haven't fully tested the stuff I reported, but newly saved files seem to load OK now.

Another issue: When I click on a BOff (space) slot, it pops up the list of ability choices. If I try to scroll down with the scrollbar on the right hand side of that pop-up, it does not scroll, but rather dismisses the pop-up (rather like if I had clicked outside the pop-up).

Using the mouse wheel seems to be the only way to scroll down to choices that aren't visible when the BOff skill dialog pops up. (That has the slightly annoying but not show-stopping feature that when you reach the bottom of the BOff skill window, it starts scrolling the main page behind it).
    edited March 2013
    Haven't fully tested the stuff I reported, but newly saved files seem to load OK now.

Another issue: When I click on a BOff (space) slot, it pops up the list of ability choices. If I try to scroll down with the scrollbar on the right hand side of that pop-up, it does not scroll, but rather dismisses the pop-up (rather like if I had clicked outside the pop-up).

Using the mouse wheel seems to be the only way to scroll down to choices that aren't visible when the BOff skill dialog pops up. (That has the slightly annoying but not show-stopping feature that when you reach the bottom of the BOff skill window, it starts scrolling the main page behind it).

I'll look into it and see what I can do. Thanks.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    Saving and loading from a file is working correctly. If you are having a problem with your file then it is most likely because the file was created before this fix. Contact me through my site so I can manually fix it for you.

just tried to make and save another build last night, and it definitely seems fixed this time! good work on the quick fixes

#LegalizeAwoo

edited March 2013

I haven't been able to replicate this bug. What browser are you using?
    just tried to make and save another build last night, and it definitely seems fixed this time! good work on the quick fixes

That's great to hear! :D
    attilio.png
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would it be possible to have an 'opt-out' button for all that google and facebook trash on the site ? Those scripts slaughter the performance of the build page and sometimes blocking the wrong google script disables the build page.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited March 2013
    I haven't been able to replicate this bug. What browser are you using?

IE10 (desktop) + Win 8

Just tested it again, still happening for me. Clicking the BOff window scroll bar *does* scroll the window, as it's fading out...
  • sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Couldn't find the Romulan Embassy Sci Consoles.
    edited March 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to have an 'opt-out' button for all that google and facebook trash on the site ? Those scripts slaughter the performance of the build page and sometimes blocking the wrong google script disables the build page.

I'll try to find out what it could be and see if there is anything I can do about it.
    IE10 (desktop) + Win 8

Just tested it again, still happening for me. Clicking the BOff window scroll bar *does* scroll the window, as it's fading out...

I just installed IE10 so I'll be testing it out and fix whatever bugs I can find.
    sonulinu2 wrote: »
    Couldn't find the Romulan Embassy Sci Consoles.

They are in there. Choose the name (for example Inertial Dampeners) the Mk, and Ultra Rare.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    I just installed IE10 so I'll be testing it out and fix whatever bugs I can find.

Tried it with the IE10 "modern" app on my tablet, and the same thing happens. So it is reproducible across machines, and different versions/installations of IE10.
    edited March 2013
    They are in there. Choose the name (for example Inertial Dampeners) the Mk, and Ultra Rare.

well, that explains the ultra rare option for science consoles, but what about engineering and tactical consoles? i don't recall there being any ultra rare versions of those 2 console types in the game

#LegalizeAwoo

edited March 2013
    Tried it with the IE10 "modern" app on my tablet, and the same thing happens. So it is reproducible across machines, and different versions/installations of IE10.

IE is just a very picky browser to begin with, and the changes they make from version to version seems to make it worse lol. I should be able to compensate for it though.
    well, that explains the ultra rare option for science consoles, but what about engineering and tactical consoles? i don't recall there being any ultra rare versions of those 2 console types in the game

I believe you're correct, I just put it in there because frankly it wouldn't surprise me if Cryptic adds them in the future and also it's an additional option. I'm trying not to limit the options too much.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    I believe you're correct, I just put it in there because frankly it wouldn't surprise me if Cryptic adds them in the future and also it's an additional option. I'm trying not to limit the options too much.

good point; i do see ultra rare engineering and tactical consoles coming in the near future (probably with new fleet holdings, or T6 starbase stuff)

plus, those consoles do look snazzy in violet :D

EDIT: just thought of another feature you could consider adding; a section for someone to show off their active ground/space doffs, if any

though, that might be a lot of work, considering how many different doff effects there are now

#LegalizeAwoo

edited March 2013
    though, that might be a lot of work, considering how many different doff effects there are now

That would be nice. If the full list of doff effects is a longer-term project, five text boxes to write in the effects would suffice. You could use the Notes section to do that now, but it's not very visible.
    edited March 2013
    EDIT: just thought of another feature you could consider adding; a section for someone to show off their active ground/space doffs, if any

That would be nice. If the full list of doff effects is a longer-term project, five text boxes to write in the effects would suffice. You could use the Notes section to do that now, but it's not very visible.

I do have this on my list of features to add along with the reputation system. I've already compiled a decent sized list of doff effects and have a friend who offered to complete the list for me. Once that's done I'll look into adding it.
    attilio.png
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would it be possible to get the print skill tree button to show something more printable? It worked with the old skill planner, even though the skills were printed out of order. Now it doesn't really work at all.
    edited March 2013
    Would it be possible to get the print skill tree button to show something more printable? It worked with the old skill planner, even though the skills were printed out of order. Now it doesn't really work at all.

I'm going to assume you are seeing something different than I am. When I click on the button I see what I intended, a simple skill tree (no images). Each skill is a box with the name and number of points inside. If you're seeing something different then it could be your browser. Knowing your browser name and version should help me with that.
    attilio.png
    edited March 2013
    Quick update, I forgot to post it yesterday. The bug in IE10 when clicking on the scroll bar in the bridge officer window should be fixed.
    attilio.png
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8549685778_2e9e240cbe_b.jpg

That's what I see when I try to print from the Skill Planner. I'm using the latest version of Firefox. It says I'm using version 20.0 in my browser.
    edited March 2013
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8549685778_2e9e240cbe_b.jpg

That's what I see when I try to print from the Skill Planner. I'm using the latest version of Firefox. It says I'm using version 20.0 in my browser.

There seems to be an issue with that page in firefox. I'll work on it and get a fix out as soon as possible.
    attilio.png
This discussion has been closed.