test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"we're going to fire the torpedos like mines"

skollulfrskollulfr Member Posts: 5,407 Arc User
yea, its funny, not very practical, but funny.

i dont think torp speed needs a major buff pe-rse,
maybe 10% on some of them,
but, can the projectile speed be made relative to the speed of the ship firing it at the time its launched?

this way intersecting enguagments get a bit more interesting since it would make player evasion matter depending on torpedo turning rate(they should have those too now that i think about it)

head on engagements don't leave you on top of/ in front of your own torps.
and again, giving the possibility for evasion, leaving them unable to persue due to their earned veloity at launch

and in persuit enguagments that forward torp actually means something other than provide amusement:rolleyes:

and this way torps are made considerably more effective without the borg 50k+ thy's getting a major buff.
startrek online - to seek out new life, and seduce or kill it.
heh heh
Post edited by skollulfr on

Comments

• khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It would be quite odd as ships aren't fighters that carry their missiles on their wings, they fire them from launchers and the torps themselves change direction and track targets too.

Any launch momentum would've been quickly lost as the torpedo goes to its own power.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its a good idea. Freelancer uses the same basic model.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    It would be quite odd as ships aren't fighters that carry their missiles on their wings, they fire them from launchers and the torps themselves change direction and track targets too.

Any launch momentum would've been quickly lost as the torpedo goes to its own power.

Actually, they would pretty much add to another (simplified).
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Worked in voyager lol
    JtaDmwW.png
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Worked in voyager lol

On Voyager you could also build an engine that lets you fly at infinite speed and turns you into a giant newt.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Star Trek is probably the last place to look for something to obey the laws of physics. To maintain balance there would be no damage enhancement from the increased velocity so the difference would be purely esthetic, then there is the consideration of server processing load, to give the torpedoes an acceleration speed boost would require additional calculation of velocity vector components for every torpedo fired by every player in the game, complicating projectile tracking and server performance, to do that just for the sake of visual appearances doesn't sound like a fair trade off to me.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited March 2013
    Torpedoes are one of the only things that can actually be evaded (you can outrun them, cloak to hide from them, etc). So giving them faster projectile speed by using the speed of the ship as the initial velocity would make them perform better. I am all for un-dumbing the combat model and something like this should be relatively easy, compared to everything else. On the other hand it would be unique and those are usually lost in code maintenance, so probably a bad idea to implement alone. But its a good idea in terms of combat improvement
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If they made it a bridge power, a maneuver with cooldowns and other limiting factors like other maneuvers they could even give it a damage enhancement without it disrupting balance, call it "Torpedo Ramming Speed" or some other flashy name.
    But just as a component of every torpedo flight, I don't think it would be a good idea, I think it would create more problems than it solves.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its a good idea. Freelancer uses the same basic model.

It really didn't. Ship velocity had no bearing on projectile speed. The difference was that stock missile speeds in Freelancer were typically several times what a ship could normally achieve in an unmodded game.
    edited March 2013
    It really didn't. Ship velocity had no bearing on projectile speed. The difference was that stock missile speeds in Freelancer were typically several times what a ship could normally achieve in an unmodded game.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong on all of that. Go into weapon_equip.ini and change the accel and muzzle_velocity parameters of a torpedo [Motor] to zero, so that it only uses launcher speed, then watch its speed. Also as to your point about "stock missile speed" you are forgetting the stock torpedoes, which were very slow. Fixed projectile speed does not work in dogfights--you must have relative speed, which requires the launch speed to be incorporated into the maths.

Actually, that last point makes me wonder if the torpedoes in STO already have it, to some extent. Need to think up a test for it now
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sorry but you're wrong on all of that. Go into weapon_equip.ini and change the accel and muzzle_velocity parameters of a torpedo [Motor] to zero, so that it only uses launcher speed, then watch its speed. Also as to your point about "stock missile speed" you are forgetting the stock torpedoes, which were very slow. Fixed projectile speed does not work in dogfights--you must have relative speed, which requires the launch speed to be incorporated into the maths.

Actually, that last point makes me wonder if the torpedoes in STO already have it, to some extent. Need to think up a test for it now

I chose my words very carefully. UNMODDED.

Simply because the engine supported it mechanically didn't mean the game was built that way. Or to put it another way, if you have to tinker with the guts of a game to make stuff in the game do something, it's a pretty safe bet that that stuff wasn't doing that something before the tinkering.

You could make your ships strafe vertically and horizontally at velocities greater than you could travel in a straight line, you could open up engines, power plants, tractor beams and scanners as gear, and you could even create a dynamic commodity pricing system. None of the above were features of the retail game.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Velocity stacking would be great, as torpedoes traveling beyond their designed velocity wouldn't be able to turn and could disintegrate from excessive inertia during maneuvers.
    :D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Velocity stacking would be great, as torpedoes traveling beyond their designed velocity wouldn't be able to turn and could disintegrate from excessive inertia during maneuvers.
    :D

Well, with increased speed they could get an increase in kinetic damage or shield penetration.
    However this would once again put slow-moving cruisers at a disadvantage and those poor su**ers already have enough of those don't they?

Of course an alternative would be to use a bit from RL kinetic weapons: the longer the barrel of a gun, the higher the muzzle velocity of the projectile will be.
    Torpedo launchers in Star Trek use a combination of a gas accelerator as well as magnetic coils to fire the torpedo off.
    Cruisers could actually have room for additional accelerator coils in their torpedo launchers which could increase their firepower as an innate bonus.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't think they need to do any of this "relative to speed of ship" stuff which would probably be quite a coding feat and may not even be supported by the engine, but simply increase torp speed. Torps should fly so fast that they can not be outrun. I know the game isn't canon, but still, there's no example of outrunning torps at sub warp speeds, maneuver so that they miss or hit something other than your ship? Yes. "Punch it" and leave them in the dust? Only by going to warp.

Currently, torpedoes do TRIBBLE damage to shields and travel so slowly that most any enemy will have recovered some shielding before a torp launched could hit bare hull. Torps fly like "tra la la, gong on a picnic, tra la la..." when they should be flying with purpose. High yield torps are comically slow even though only the borg ones are powerful enough that they should be that slow and are pretty much the only ones that really warrant the "clench for impact" button should one fail to shoot them down in time.