test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Question

jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Ten Forward
How come TMP cost $40 million to make while TWOK cost only $12 million to make and had wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more special effects?!
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Post edited by jumpingjs on

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    How come TMP cost $40 million to make while TWOK cost only $12 million to make and had wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more special effects?!

TMP had like 90% special effects, 9 hours of flying through V'Ger!
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To name a few:

- CGI advanced between TMP and TWOK allowing computer modeling to be cheaper
    - Re-use of props means the first film footed a larger bill
    - TMP had more sets, with larger spaces, and more locations. In TWOK, a lot of re-use occurs such as Reliant and Enterprise bridge being nearly identical, and sets are generally smaller or enhanced with CGI.
    - Production delays means keeping people on staff longer, renting space longer, etc. Delays are always bad from a budger perspective.
    - TMP was also much longer iirc, requiring a heavier load of special effects, script writing, filming etc.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Clouds ain't cheap. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...also...

Much of the first round of Sp-Fx that were done for TMP ended up being unusable, for various reasons and had to be reworked/redone.

At the time, Doug Trumbull, though a wonderful FX-artesian, used Star Trek Phase-II/TMP to try and build an Effects House of his own.

Things didn't go so well...

Essentially, it almost doubled the cost of TMP's effects.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif