test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Interact" Text on Optional Interact-able Objects

elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I added some fun elements to some of my older projects while I was revamping them. One of the things I added was what I call "optional interact-able objects" (OIO for future reference here).

First off the only way I've figured out how to make them optional and not mandatory to the story line is to use the default dialog option on an object/contact. (If there's another way, I'd love to learn it.)

I want to know how to change the button text when you approach an OIO from "Interact" to something else, "Turn on Heat Controls".

For example, the story line of the mission is to talk to the captain in her ready room, BUT if you explore the bridge you can interact with a console and adjust environmental controls. Doing this does not show up in the mission objective list and is purely for fun/immersion effect. The OIO is an invisible object.

What do I do?

Thanks for any help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You can't change the default chat button text, but you could hook up other map objects to trigger on Component Complete on the object and give that a name.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    That is disappointing news.

I do name the objects and like in my previous example once you "interact" with it a dialog comes up, then when the dialog is complete a heat wave effect shows up on the map.

Is that what you are talking about when you say "you could hook up other map objects to trigger on Component Complete on the object and give that a name."?
  • Options
    allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IGNORE_ME
    ~Yup, just place a random object (Apline Bush - M 01) on the map where no one will ever see it and where it doesn't matter. Then make it visible on "component complete" and select your OIO.

Now magically your OIO has a triggers-tab where you can enter the button-text and animation.~
    IGNORE_END

Nevermind, it has no effect. default prompt overwrites everything.

(@Cryptic Me thinks, the triggers tab should be triggered (pun intended) by checking the default prompt box)

But, if it is ok that the text only to appears once, you can use a popup-dailog-bubble, place it on the map and make it visible on component complete [OIO]. Remove the default prompt from the OIO.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    I think I get what you're asking.

You have an invisible object. What you want to happen is when the player gets near it, a button pops up "Turn on Heat Controls" when clicked, it spawns a dialogue, and after the dialogue is done, the heat wave effect spawns. (All this is done outside the objective storyboard).

Forgive me if I cover stuff you already know how to do, but I'll go ahead and post it step by step.

So, place a dialogue bubble on the map, with whatever you want in it. Select it and go to the triggers tab. Change it to go from invisible to visible on "Component Complete" and where it prompts you, select the invisible object. Now, go and select that invisible object. Under one of the tabs (I forget the name, but it should be next to the trigger tab), it should have a spot that allows you to change the "interact" button text and assign an animation and an interact length. I remember last time I was working with this, when i opened that tab I had to scroll to the bottom of that window, it was just blank at the top. No idea why.

Lastly, select the heat wave effect. In the trigger tab, set it to go from invisible to visible when dialogue prompt reached. Click the little button and you should be able to select any of the dialogue windows in the map dialogue that you created.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

You have an invisible object. What you want to happen is when the player gets near it, a button pops up "Turn on Heat Controls" when clicked, it spawns a dialogue, and after the dialogue is done, the heat wave effect spawns. (All this is done outside the objective storyboard).

Forgive me if I cover stuff you already know how to do, but I'll go ahead and post it step by step.

So, place a dialogue bubble on the map, with whatever you want in it. Select it and go to the triggers tab. Change it to go from invisible to visible on "Component Complete" and where it prompts you, select the invisible object. Now, go and select that invisible object. Under one of the tabs (I forget the name, but it should be next to the trigger tab), it should have a spot that allows you to change the "interact" button text and assign an animation and an interact length. I remember last time I was working with this, when i opened that tab I had to scroll to the bottom of that window, it was just blank at the top. No idea why.

Lastly, select the heat wave effect. In the trigger tab, set it to go from invisible to visible when dialogue prompt reached. Click the little button and you should be able to select any of the dialogue windows in the map dialogue that you created.

It's under "Triggers" when you select either the map-placed dialogue or interactable object.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    Right, right i got turned around.

The tab to set when something will spawn/despawn is called "States"

The one where you can set button text and animation is called "Triggers"
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited March 2013

That is exactly what I wanted. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I kept using the Default Dialog under the OIO's General tab. Someone else told me that's how to do what I wanted. It'll add a little extra "clutter" to my map but thank you again.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This answer my questions too.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    ishmael27ishmael27 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it should have a spot that allows you to change the "interact" button text and assign an animation and an interact length.

Is this function bugged? I've been trying to change the "interact" text for two days; it just keeps reverting to default.

Anyone have any ideas why?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ishmael27 wrote: »
    Is this function bugged? I've been trying to change the "interact" text for two days; it just keeps reverting to default.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Whenever you change anything for an object it is a good idea to select another field for that object to be sure it registers; it will sometime erase info if you just leave the object after changing it. The foundry can be buggy like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If you check "Default Prompt" the text will always be "Interact". It overwrites everything.

Remove Default Prompt and the custom button text will be used. (If the object has a trigger-tab)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Default prompt is useful if you want an object to be interactable without being a part of the mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Keep in mind that using dialogue promt will place an interact icon over the object, does not allow for failure, and cannot be used as a trigger for anything. The martini glass under the floor is far more versitile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Keep in mind that using dialogue promt will place an interact icon over the object, does not allow for failure, and cannot be used as a trigger for anything. The martini glass under the floor is far more versitile.

Default prompt will put an icon over NPCs, but default prompt on objects will make them glow with this yellow magic thingy.

Also it can be used as a trigger. The object will become "component complete", when the default prompt leads to [success].
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Something I want accessible over and over again, say a directory of services computer dialogue, cannot have an invisible object hooked up to it because triggering that is a one time deal. You click out of that dialogue and it is gone for good. Unless it is set to failure in which case it sits at the bottom as "ops" for good.

Any magic that can address that situation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Something I want accessible over and over again, say a directory of services computer dialogue, cannot have an invisible object hooked up to it because triggering that is a one time deal. You click out of that dialogue and it is gone for good. Unless it is set to failure in which case it sits at the bottom as "ops" for good.

Any magic that can address that situation?

Is that all it needs to do? Is it tied to objectives or triggers in any way? If not, a simple default dialog on a console should suffice.
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is that all it needs to do? Is it tied to objectives or triggers in any way? If not, a simple default dialog on a console should suffice.

Yes, but I would like to avoid the standard "interact" button if the default text is not hooked up to anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, it can't be part of the misison if it must be repeatable, thus you'll either have to use a default interact, or an NPC.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Btw, just in case it helps, there are some objects that the npc can fit inside, without spawning on top. The columns, for example. Or you could maybe put a npc behind a wall while tricking the player to think they are interacting with a computer.

Only now there is a default "Talk to" text.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Default Prompt is an immersion tool. You can add fluff to the mission with that. You can also use that to add hints to the player. That is the only thing that can be interacted as many times as you want.

If you look for something like that, you should use Default prompt. Otherwise go for map dialog.