test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STF's and their usefulness

adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
STF's are pretty much worthless beyond Infected Space and KA Space and maybe KA ground

How does one come to this copnclusion?

All STF's reward the same things. Why try a hard(Cure both or Infected ground or newer stf's) stf when u can do a 9 minute infected run and get the same rewards.

In PUGS this is very obvious I waited over 30 minutes, then quit the queu to get a run at CURE or other runs because i was bored and was going to try one for kicks and giggles.....I know my fleet, as I run it, only does Infected and KA with any regularity

My solution would be fairly simple. Implement new loot that is uniqie to each stf...it will encourage players to dive into seldom used STF's plus help to flush new blood into the already BORING loot in this game.

The loot not need be UBER, it can be useful and or it could be vanity gear , both would be nice.

These drops could be based on body drops and or from final rewards. I would like to see both types.

I am an elite type player and find myself very bored and trying to come up with creative ways to remain satisfied.....I scarcely use half the STF's with any consistency. Why not encourage us to use them more with more types of rewards...not currency just drops that are unique to each stf.
Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
Post edited by adabisi on

Comments

• adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is why Cryptic should have added the rep system ALONGSIDE the old system and not rendered DS9 a ghost station... Poor Roxy went from overworked to redundant overnight
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    STF's have a role, based entirely on the skill level of the player.

In the beginning, the dev's created the STF's which were not that great. So they went back, broke them up into smaller segments, they played with the rewards and the dangers, added features and took them away. In the end, STF's work remarkably well for the majority of the STO players.

For new players, it represents the first major end game event(s). It forces them to understand tactics, skills, and introduces (for bad or worse) dps as measure of your destructive power.

For established players, it becomes a fairly reliable way to grind for personal growth and to build out your team starbases.

For future development, STO can now add other missions quickly and easily.

As for changing it, STF's come with a heavy potential political cost. STF's have become a significant part of the STO fabric; changes of any kind can create massive ripples and very vocal opposition. Just in the last 5 months the changes that came via S7 and reputation raised significant ire within the community in general. And those changes? Effectively reverted back to pre S7 levels.

STF's work fine. They should be left alone*

*Having now said that, a dev somewhere is planning a major change.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All I can say to your comments is ???huh???

Might want to read what I posted again.

I am asking that creative, thoughtful,interesting, and rewarding gear be allowed to exist in the end game. Not ONLY generic currency to be spent in SB upgrades and to be place on the dilithium exchange and to buy a predetermined set of gear...seems pretty self explanatory to me. The gear can remain less then uber predetermined sets as I have 12 toons 4 all decked in the end game gear the rest I fly in mk10-12 various items because I enjoy a challenge.

Interesting examples could be include vanity items or trophies. A borg body piece that, when the whole set is collected, could be a borg full body trophy placed in your ready room or elsewhere.

A borg voice collectible set. "We are the borg" All pieces collected could be from space combat.

A rarer set could be collected could offer the COLLECTIVE Bonus to your BOff's nothing to powerful but when you use the items u hear special sound fx's similiar to the tv shows..the collective harmony.

A series of collections that allows you to obtain a salt vampire and keep it in the science area under force fields for study but is purely a vanity coolness item.

Heck even a necklace of Romulan ears.......A collection to get an EMOTE that allows you to tear your shirt in KIRK fashion and look sexy...

I dont need more mindless grindage for dilithium and generic currencies....How about some collections..lots of collections.....
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    This is why Cryptic should have added the rep system ALONGSIDE the old system and not rendered DS9 a ghost station... Poor Roxy went from overworked to redundant overnight

Nah. I think she's enjoying her retirement. :D
    adabisi wrote: »
    I am asking that creative, thoughtful,interesting, and rewarding gear be allowed to exist in the end game. Not ONLY generic currency to be spent in SB upgrades and to be place on the dilithium exchange and to buy a predetermined set of gear...seems pretty self explanatory to me. The gear can remain less then uber predetermined sets as I have 12 toons 4 all decked in the end game gear the rest I fly in mk10-12 various items because I enjoy a challenge.

Interesting examples could be include vanity items or trophies. A borg body piece that, when the whole set is collected, could be a borg full body trophy placed in your ready room or elsewhere.

A borg voice collectible set. "We are the borg" All pieces collected could be from space combat.

A rarer set could be collected could offer the COLLECTIVE Bonus to your BOff's nothing to powerful but when you use the items u hear special sound fx's similiar to the tv shows..the collective harmony.

A series of collections that allows you to obtain a salt vampire and keep it in the science area under force fields for study but is purely a vanity coolness item.

Heck even a necklace of Romulan ears.......A collection to get an EMOTE that allows you to tear your shirt in KIRK fashion and look sexy...

I dont need more mindless grindage for dilithium and generic currencies....How about some collections..lots of collections.....

Hmmm.... I like this idea.
  • hayabusafuryhayabusafury Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adabisi wrote: »

You are complaining STF are useless, but you suggest changing a mindless grind for useful item/currencies for a mindless grind for useless collection garbage?

hmmm, must be troll...;)

Why even suggest that STO needs to add "Hello Catian" collector backpacks? Lockboxes already are destroying this game. No need to add collection nonsense to the mix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Help rebuild the Romulan Star Empire to glory. Click the banner to join today.

• bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I agree with your original concept, the idea of all STFs offering the exact same reward, my experiences are significantly different than yours.

I only PuG and I want them done quickly. To that end CSE and ISE are the only two that exist in my universe. KASE takes far too long and is difficult to carry a bad team in a timely fashion and none cant really debate that it is by far the loongest of the original 3 having not one but two fights outside of the optional timer one of which can take for freaking ever if she gets cloak + Insta Gib happy because people can't keep distance.

KASE and HSE should give more marks than the other two for that simple reason.
  • littlemonchichilittlemonchichi Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    easy math for comparing old and new stf system:

15 normal stf runs before = 1 Borg Ship Set
    15 normal stf runs now = 285 Omega Marks

even the console needs 500 Marks....wth

i HATE the reputation system.
    stopped playing stf's
    "Be excellent to each other and Party on Dudes!"
  • haravikkharavikk Member Posts: 278
    edited March 2013
    While it would be nice to see more unique rewards, I think it would be better to scale the rewards based on the average time taken to complete the STF, and the average number of deaths suffered. These combined should give a picture over time of what the return rate versus effort is for each STF, so the rewards can be scaled accordingly.

For example, Hive (Elite) is just pointless right now as while you can't actually fail the mission, the difficulty of the enemies is so high that you're going to struggle to get even some of the optional objectives reliably each time, and even if you do the rewards don't really match the effort involved when you can get most of that reward from just doing the much quicker Infected mission.

I'd love to be able to play all of the Task Force Omega missions reliably for grinding marks and Dilithium, as more variety is always better, but currently a run on Hive (Elite) just hits me as wasted time that I could have spent doing something else for my Dilithium/marks.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2013

stopped playing stf's

300+ elite stf runs before = 2 Prototype Borg Shield Tech, 0 Engines, 0 Deflectors
    25 elite stuf runs now = Full Mark XII MACO set

The reputation system is a huge improvement.
    I play more stfs now.
  • altai8008altai8008 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2013

stopped playing stf's

i agree with this. glad i got full maco mk xii gear before the change, rep system is a horrendous grind imo. but thats just my opinion. i just roll with the punches, and enjoy playing the game.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    300+ elite stf runs before = 2 Prototype Borg Shield Tech, 0 Engines, 0 Deflectors

The reputation system is a huge improvement.
    I play more stfs now.

It is better for getting MK XII stuff but it made so many other stuff more difficult time consuming and expensive to get. The Borg Assimilated Module console is no longer a mission reward. You need to complete more STF missions wait longer and spend a lot for a Borg Space set. They need to make the lower grade gear less expensive and easier to get especially the Borg console because making people spend that much for something that was easy to get from completing a single mission is totally unfair BS.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    This is a textbook case of someone who clearly didn't understand how the system worked. You have *TWO* Borg Shields...none of anything else. Why were you even in the wrong STFs? You do realize that in the old system, you actually had to do and presumably be decent at all of them, not just hammer ISE over and over in the vain hope that something that isn't the shield drops?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But let's be realistic: I did this on many toons: It was, on average, about 20 runs per piece, so about 5% drop. So we're looking at an average of 60 runs for a full set. More importantly, it was runs of ALL of the STFs. As it stands NOW, most non-ISE things represent dead content....and no matter how many STFs you run, you never get anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]