test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graduation "Test": An Official Announcement on What to Expect

gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvP Boot Camp
The purpose of this thread is to provide you with some general details about how Stage 4 of the curriculum is going to look. This will take place in the upcoming, monthly Boot Camp session, which will be held on Saturday, March 30th.

After several weeks of deliberation with coaches and students, we have decided to rework the 4th stage of the curriculum a bit. Stage 4 is not going to be a "test"--insofar as test implies that a person can either pass/fail--but rather an evaluation and assessment done in the context of PvP combat.

While some details are still being worked out, all students will play a number of matches under the watchful eye of coaches. The coaches, in turn, will provide individual feedback to each player. The goal is to give you the students a set of "next steps" that you can work on in the future. For example, let's pretend that Regulus is my coach. In the match, Regulus sees that, as a tac captain, I don't utilize all of the tactical skills I can to make my alpha strikes devastating (attack pattern alpha, cannon rapid fire, attack pattern omega, etc.), but that I seem to use these skills randomly. Regulus might say to me, "Sargon, what you need to work on is coordinating your captain and bridge officer skills so that your alpha strikes have some real punch!" He might then give me some tips on how to best do that.

The goal is to make this a personalized experience where you the player get to learn about what will take you to the next level.

The registration thread for Session 4 will be posted very soon. Keep your eyes on the Boot Camp Subforum for additional details.
Post edited by gradstudent1 on

Comments

• Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Awesome! That sounds like it should be fun and very educational.

Thanks again to Sargon and all the Coaches for your time and effort.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drudgy wrote: »
    Awesome! That sounds like it should be fun and very educational.

Thanks again to Sargon and all the Coaches for your time and effort.

We should check early if we have enough foreign language coaches to do this. It will be a very short evaluation if classes exceed the 9 students per coach limit.

We should think about breaking up sessions, if we don't have enough coaches.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    havam wrote: »
    We should check early if we have enough foreign language coaches to do this. It will be a very short evaluation if classes exceed the 9 students per coach limit.

We should think about breaking up sessions, if we don't have enough coaches.

Thanks for reminding me of this Havam. In particular, I am worried about the German sessions. Given the number of German students we had in this last session, I don't think we will be able to hold all of these evaluations in one session alone.

What if we decided to hold a number of mid-week sessions, just to break up the classes a bit. What do you think? Also, if you know of some more German-speaking, coach-level players, please pass along their names to me.

Thanks.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    yeah it just too many variables to plan ahead consistently. But if i can get more coaches i ll let you know. Maybe we should not plan to have a 2 hour session. But think about breaking groups up into smaller units. So each coach still is on for two hours, but groups get timeslot when they'll likely be up.

Just brain storming here:

1) lets have multiple 15min fights, tell people in advance roughly when their timeslots should be up.

2) Coaches set up arena, let the teams figure out what they want to do, once they are ready pm coach and off we go. Kind of the whole sorting people into classroms on TS, but with an additional layer.

3) One General Sorting room (as usual) . Classroom 1 10people max to prepare two teams. ( I'd prefer nine, but observing as a coach could work too, just less fun). Coach sits in 1b. Once the groups have formed they go into 1a and 1b.

4) Two matches once with a coach on your side.

5) while the matches take place, we let 10 new students into the class room, giving them time to compose a team.

basically instead of classes this would be more organized like an orals exam day.

Mid-Week is next to impossible for me, but maybe others can.
  • Options
    devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2013
    German coaches as far:

Hilbert, Trinity, Ilhansk, and Havam. And im certain there are atleast 1 more, but the name escapes me.
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    devorasx wrote: »
    German coaches as far:

Hilbert, Trinity, Ilhansk, and Havam. And im certain there are atleast 1 more, but the name escapes me.

These are the four I am aware of, Devoras. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    havam wrote: »
    yeah it just too many variables to plan ahead consistently. But if i can get more coaches i ll let you know. Maybe we should not plan to have a 2 hour session. But think about breaking groups up into smaller units. So each coach still is on for two hours, but groups get timeslot when they'll likely be up.

Just brain storming here:

1) lets have multiple 15min fights, tell people in advance roughly when their timeslots should be up.

2) Coaches set up arena, let the teams figure out what they want to do, once they are ready pm coach and off we go. Kind of the whole sorting people into classroms on TS, but with an additional layer.

3) One General Sorting room (as usual) . Classroom 1 10people max to prepare two teams. ( I'd prefer nine, but observing as a coach could work too, just less fun). Coach sits in 1b. Once the groups have formed they go into 1a and 1b.

4) Two matches once with a coach on your side.

5) while the matches take place, we let 10 new students into the class room, giving them time to compose a team.

basically instead of classes this would be more organized like an orals exam day.

Mid-Week is next to impossible for me, but maybe others can.

Thanks, Havam, for these suggestions.
  • Options
    evilghost1026evilghost1026 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    count me in! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattack13mattack13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As a bootcamp participant, this sounds like the ideal way to finish up. I didn't really think I would fail the test, but why let anybody go in to the last day with any anxiety whatsoever? God forbid it is one of those "laggy" days and somebody fails as a result. I appreciate the initiative taken by all the organizers and coaches; I actually find myself queuing up for pug games on the regular these days, and would like to help my fleet develop as pvpers. No doubt this curriculum has at least pointed me in the right direction with regards to specs, builds, and the basics of team play. Thanks all around!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    mattack13 wrote: »
    As a bootcamp participant, this sounds like the ideal way to finish up. I didn't really think I would fail the test, but why let anybody go in to the last day with any anxiety whatsoever? God forbid it is one of those "laggy" days and somebody fails as a result. I appreciate the initiative taken by all the organizers and coaches; I actually find myself queuing up for pug games on the regular these days, and would like to help my fleet develop as pvpers. No doubt this curriculum has at least pointed me in the right direction with regards to specs, builds, and the basics of team play. Thanks all around!

I agree, Mattack. Naz in particular was your champion. He pushed hard to remove this element of pressure.
  • Options
    naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree, Mattack. Naz in particular was your champion. He pushed hard to remove this element of pressure.

Thanks for the recognition ;)

At the end of the day i and most of the others in the PVP community want the community to grow. Thats what Bootcamp is all about to me. Personally, the original version of stage 4 seemed to be counter productive to the end goal so something had to be said.

Now, more to the point, once the 1st breed of Bootcampers "graduate" (in the loosest term possible), i personally would love to hear what we as coaches could do more of or less of to attract more people to season 2 of bootcamp from the graduates.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Naz
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's likely the most feasible way of evaluating folks in general. I know for myself my playing skills and aptitude has increased tremondously since joining PVP boot camp! However, I also recognize that I still have so much to learn!! This is partiuclarly true where combination of powers are put into play so I look forward to tnis feedback!

Its been a great experience and admittedly, I'll be sad to see this end. Well done again to all the coaches behind not only putting this together but also for being so patient ad supportive throughout the last several months.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)