test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fraps or DXTory

log4n227log4n227 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Ten Forward
In light of some of my recent post I have decided to make a post on which capture software to use. Fraps or DXTory. Pros and Cons. Ok if your running a high end rig then Fraps is for you if not I would suggest using DXTory. Why DXTory? Unlike Fraps which uses both your CPU and GPU to record you game and put that over lay that shows your fps DXTory will use either your GPU or CPU which ever you deem fit for the processing power or both like I said its up to you. Another cool thing about DXTory is your choice of Raw video or AVI also you can set your encoder to what you want. As for the FPS capping you can set it as high as your card will handle. I record in 120 fps when I'm playing STO but when I play BF3 I record in 60 fps. You guys/gals know that fps overlay on fraps the yellow one well with DXTory you can make it any color you want..... Pros of Fraps NONE.... Cons of Fraps everything.... Pros of DXTory every things better..... Cons what Cons unless your still using Fraps then your Conning your self.

You be the judge of this juice
http://www.fraps.com/
http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html

If you leave the dxtory page then Google it the first screen you'll see after clicking the link will ask you if you want the English site or the Japanese site
Post edited by log4n227 on

Comments

• Options
    rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the info log4n! I was contemplating getting Fraps after seeing the thread about "uber trolls", I'll definately have to give dxtory a go.

I struggle with FPS so STO says when I type /showfps 1, my game runs so smooth but says I'm in crippling red zone numbers.

RachelJ88
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hm.. it can also record dual audio. Interesting, thanks for the tip.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I use camtasia studio 8.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    con of both: they are not free...

i use a free version of bandicam, records only 10 min...which suits my purpose of stitching sequenzes together and avoid long running videos. Capturing doesn't need much system resources or filespace.

it surely has it's limitations, but for a free software it is outstanding.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,804 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What about file size? FRAPS tops out at 4GB files and starts a new file for your video if you exceed that. Does DXTory do the same or does it use an updated version of the AVI file creation or different file types?
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Most fascinating.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    What about file size? FRAPS tops out at 4GB files and starts a new file for your video if you exceed that. Does DXTory do the same or does it use an updated version of the AVI file creation or different file types?

Where as Fraps will have a whole bunch of 4gb files that you have to use another program to join them together DXTory can place same said capture into one file or alt. if really want alot of 4 gb files DXTory can do that as well. as for AVI its an update version but you can do raw game play as well just like fraps.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~kalecto
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    rachelj88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info log4n! I was contemplating getting Fraps after seeing the thread about "uber trolls", I'll definately have to give dxtory a go.

I struggle with FPS so STO says when I type /showfps 1, my game runs so smooth but says I'm in crippling red zone numbers.

RachelJ88

I know this is may sound like an odd question but what kind of rig are you running. if you dont want everyone to know you can always PM me.... I might have some tips for you
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    Hm.. it can also record dual audio. Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Yeah hey it does alot more then what I have told every one. you could just the tip of the ice burg
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know about DXTory, but I know I prefer Bandicam over Fraps. Other than the fact that the demo version allows you to record for 10 minutes at a time (which is nice,) bandicam is very user friendly. And it automatically compresses the video for you while you record so your video doesn't cause your CPU to burn up while you're recording. Bandicam also seems to eat up less space than Fraps too, so thats a plus.
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Really well I do have both so if you would please walk me through the process. I'll be honest I don't see that option but what I do see is the ability to have it cap at 1-4gb. but like I said I don't see the option to cap lets say 150gb continuous. which is one of the features DXTory has were it can create a file lets say any where from 1/2gb to 3TB. Or split them up like Fraps does.

But please if theres something I have over looked please please walk me through so I know.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    log4n227 wrote: »
    Really well I do have both so if you would please walk me through the process. I'll be honest I don't see that option but what I do see is the ability to have it cap at 1-4gb. but like I said I don't see the option to cap lets say 150gb continuous. which is one of the features DXTory has were it can create a file lets say any where from 1/2gb to 3TB. Or split them up like Fraps does.

But please if theres something I have over looked please please walk me through so I know.

Check on Fraps website in their changelog (Fraps 3.5.0 - 26th April 2012), perhaps you have an older version than that.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    rachelj88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info log4n! I was contemplating getting Fraps after seeing the thread about "uber trolls", I'll definitely have to give dxtory a go.

RachelJ88

Hey so I tried that /showfps 1 and there's no way thats correct it shows I only get 15 to 30 fps during my two hours of game play both in and out of "both ground and space" combat. Thats a lie I'm running a GTX 660TI 2gb edition four way SLI so really im running 8gb and thats some straight up bs figure when I run fraps overlay I hit 105 no problem and DXTory overlay is 120 easy all day. So take their /showfps 1 thing with a grain of salt because its not able to tell you what the real fps is....
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Edit wrong thread dangit.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Check on Fraps website in their changelog (Fraps 3.5.0 - 26th April 2012), perhaps you have an older version than that.

Yeah no I have the latest version but I guess mine is just bugged but heck thats fraps for you a complete waste of money. The fact that all their patch have fixed problem that don't exsist in DXTory 1.0 should tell you some thing about the company making the software. At any rate the choice of which one you use is up to you... But I will say this to any BF3 fans here all the MLG players use DXTory to record their game play... I'm currently in a clan that RivaLxfactor supports he also uses our servers to make his tut videos. Check him out some time.

https://www.youtube.com/feed/UCXN76fKLJUFeMK12fAN5Gug