test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

energy siphon and borg

papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
did a little searching and didnt come up with anything . . .
not sure if this is the right sub forum either . . .

in any case . . .

i have an engi toon in a fleet excel with phased polarons.
wanting to make the energy drain a bit more with energy siphon

the question is, before i respec for flow capacitors, does the -25 proc and energy siphon even affect borg?
Post edited by papertoasty on

Comments

• Options
    intrepid74656intrepid74656 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Short answers, no.

It should effect other NPC's though but the effect's are hardly worth it for PvE. PvP is another topic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Power Drain against the borg is basically useless. You can have a TR, ES and TS on a normal cube and its shields wont drop. The only thing you might achieve is to deactivate their weapons.
    ES has the positive effect that you get your power up independently to the power drain.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Good thing about polaron procs and ES is that is does make the Borg BAs hit with a little less force. But it does nothing to their torps, and shutting off a subsystem on a gate/tac cube is a pain in the rear. And they also come back up VERY quickly if you do manage to get it down.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've completely shut down ships in Cure Space with a single hanger of Orion Interceptors, so you can get some mileage out of a drain spec there at least.

Every bit of damage you can take away from Donatra helps as well - although Aceton Beam is a much more efficient route given the flat percentage reduction and long duration.

Really though, KDF is the faction you want to be if you want to drain spec. They simply have more and better tools for it.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    i dont know about all borg ships but i have seen the tac cubes sprout something called 'subsystem off-line immunity'.

Every ship you target with Subsystem targeting, either from a science ship or from a tactical skill, will get a subsystem immunity. it is part of the skill.

As for energy siphon builds, I tried one a few months ago with a Vesta with mixed results. I had dual Energy siphons, Viral Matrix, and phaser weapons. However, I had little success in shutting down both NPC's and players. The Energy siphon was mainly useful in boosting my own power levels, but had a minimal effect on the energy levels of the target. Viral matrix was more effective with disabling a ship for a short time, but with the random system, it is not that effective of a means of disabling.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Every ship you target with Subsystem targeting, either from a science ship or from a tactical skill, will get a subsystem immunity. it is part of the skill.

As for energy siphon builds, I tried one a few months ago with a Vesta with mixed results. I had dual Energy siphons, Viral Matrix, and phaser weapons. However, I had little success in shutting down both NPC's and players. The Energy siphon was mainly useful in boosting my own power levels, but had a minimal effect on the energy levels of the target. Viral matrix was more effective with disabling a ship for a short time, but with the random system, it is not that effective of a means of disabling.

Your problem there: you used phasers. Go with Polaron. It's overall effectiveness is much muuuuuch better, since tbh, with the Borg, the only SS you ever need knocked offline is weapons. So that's a 2.5% chance of killing a SS, and of that 2.5% chance, you only have a 25% chance of getting the SS you want, which results in the most desirable outcome (BORG HAZ NO GUNZ) only having a 0.625% chance of happening. Not that good.

However, if you use Polaron weapons, you get a global -25 (base, increased with Flow Capacitors) drain to ALL SS. Combine that with an ES3 and a TR2, and you can knock a target's SS power down by ~70. That will take the edge off of any energy weapons the Borg use, but still won't do anything to torps. They have Monotanium for that :P
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Drain does the following things to borg.

1) Lowers shield resistance and regeneration rate.
    2) Lowers bonus defense.
    3) Lowers energy weapon damage.

They just seem to be extremely resistant to it but every little bit helps. The best part of the drain/power level mechanics is that its not binary, it always helps just a question of how much.
  • Options
    misslithanymisslithany Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a vampire build and using just phased polaron weapons, ES3, and TSS3, I can easily drop a elite cubes shields. Even against Elite Tac cubes I may not be able to drop their shields but my draining keeps the shield regen down so once the groups stripped the shields off, they stay off. Plus ES boosts your power levels, so thats more damage from your weapons, better shield regen, faster movement/higher defense bonus, and better heals/buffs/debuffs from aux based skills.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Power Drain against the borg is basically useless. You can have a TR, ES and TS on a normal cube and its shields wont drop. The only thing you might achieve is to deactivate their weapons.
    ES has the positive effect that you get your power up independently to the power drain.

borg can't lose all power. you can however make their shields a bit squishier

on my fed vo'quv i combine plasmonic leech with subsytem shield targeting, energy siphon, polarized disruptors and tyken's rift when i'm at or near 100 aux on a tac cube. the amount of damage to the shields increases and they start to drop faster for everyone. i do have 6 in flowcap skill, a 26 flow cap deflector and two 30 flowcap plasma infused consoles however.

against other npc types this pretty much shuts them down entirely.