test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I have a complaint about the 'Leaver Penalty'

voyager17voyager17 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I recently, 10 minutes ago as of this writing, Accidentally entered a ground STF. I left as soon as I realized what I had done, and now I can't play for an hour. In my opinion one should not be punished for making a mistake. I did not want to be in that game, and I don't know why it put me in it, as I didn't originally click on it to queue. I find the practice of punishing people for leaving something they don't want to be in, to be very rude.
Post edited by voyager17 on

Comments

• abarebabareb Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This was put in place because people would leave the event if the optional failed and leave the rest of the team to try and complete the event. you need to pay attention to what what event you queued for, if you queued for the wrong event and left you deserve the leaver penalty.
  • voyager17voyager17 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know why it was implemented, it's still rude. And I wasn't even in that part of the page, the highlighted one was a space STF on the top of the page, the one I was sent to was a Ground STF on the bottom of the page. Not my fault, I shouldn't be punished for it.

Actually now that I think of it, it wasn't even an STF, it was a Romulan thing.
  • ussfuryussfury Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Learn to pay attention.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been in Elite STF missions that the option failed and multiple people left making it impossible to finish and I leave and still get the penalty. The penalty needs to be back to how it once was that the first person to leave gets the penalty and no others.

Also being able to leave a match before a optional objective timer starts I think should be allowed.

Personally I do not like a 1 hour ban because if their is a leecher in a match and you want to leave so the leecher does not get rewarded but if you leave your punished. I hate that so very very very much.
  • seventhpawnseventhpawn Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here is the math behind how the lever penalty works and why you should take a lever penalty instead of trying to complete an elite run because someone was TRIBBLE in the STF. I will use ISE as an example, and assume that some monkey blew a gennie early and screwed everything up for everyone.

Not leaving
    -30-40 minute completion time because you have probes, probes, and more probes + 60 minutes to have ISE reloaded for the next run
    -If I use a low estimate the math is 30+60=90 minutes or as high as 40+60=100 minutes

Leaving
    -2 minutes to find out if your mission is borked + 60 minutes of lever penalty
    -Math wise this comes to 2+60=62 minutes till next ISE

Mission that worked
    -10 minute completion on average +60 minutes to load next ISE
    -Math wise that is 10+60=70

So from a purely mathematical perspective it is not feasible to stay. The average run in an ISE with people that are not mentally challenged is 70 minutes till next ISE. If you stay you are going back into an ISE in 90 - 100 minutes. If you leave after Dippy Doolittle blows the mission you are back in at 62 minutes.

Now this is just off of an ISE. Similar mathematics can be figured on the other space STFs for example and it will all spell out the same thing. If you have failed the optional in the first few minutes, it takes less time to thank the guy for being an idiot and leave and wait for the next run, than it does to complete it and wait for the next run. Plus you also experience less stress and generally enjoy life a bit better.

My thoughts are that there should be a rather nastier lever in place in that if X number of optionals are missed from ANY of the STFs you are doing within a 24 hour period till your counter resets, that you should be banned from ALL of the runs for a 24 hour period. Now I know people will start flaming on that one. But if you step back and think about it just for one second. If the idiot that is TRIBBLE these up keeps getting nailed with 24 hour levers because he is dumb, then maybe he will finally take a clue off of the clue tree and figure out how to do elites so he doesn't keep getting put in the penalty box for those extended periods. Means people have to be a hell of a lot more careful and tactics become a massive factor so people don't get screwed.

The other option to control the aspect of why we would need to lever ourselves, is remove the optionals completely and utterly. Have them as an actual objective of the mission instead of an optional failable component, and if that objective fails the whole mission fails period end of list. So if dough head wants his omega tokens, he had better start learning to play or in the case of ISE the mission is done in 2 minutes and no need to leave the mission cause everyone has lost anyway.

Two ways to control the lever is here and takes care of the source of the grief by actually punishing people too dumb and/or lazy to open up a browser window and look the run up in youtube. I personally don't leave because I am being a Troll, I leave because some ding bat has screwed up the STF because he doesn't know how to play. Punish people that don't know how to do the mission, and people wont be leaving in the middle because the optional is done. Or remove the optional and it is a cut and dry fail or pass. From a mathematics perspective, there is no reason to stay as soon as the optional is in the red. Faster to get out and wait to get back in because at the end of the day I will get back into the above ISE faster by levering than you will by trying to complete it, and I will not have the risk of a stroke or heart failure due to stress in the process because one of our PUG team mates should be force sterilized to prevent him from polluting the gene pool.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Complaining about the penalty because you got in the wrong queue is illogical, unless you plan on doing it repeatedly, which would be ... odd, to say the least.

BTW, the ISE failures due to early generators may get worse. Why? Because if you have 2-3 Kumaris in there, it doesn't matter if you blow them early, the transformer still goes down before any healer gets close. Unfortunately, after a few runs like this people get sloppy when they have 5 cruisers lumbering around.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    naevius wrote: »

BTW, the ISE failures due to early generators may get worse. Why? Because if you have 2-3 Kumaris in there, it doesn't matter if you blow them early, the transformer still goes down before any healer gets close. Unfortunately, after a few runs like this people get sloppy when they have 5 cruisers lumbering around.

This....this needs to hung above the door in all the STF Elite channels......haven't seen anyone b**ch about 10% on those channels in a while anyway....goodbye faithful 10%, just good 'ol DPS(not that I'm complaining).....
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Complaining about the penalty because you got in the wrong queue is illogical, unless you plan on doing it repeatedly, which would be ... odd, to say the least.

Exactly. Also, consider that by your mistake, you left 4 people who were likely unable to finish the STF. Why should they be "punished" for your mistake?

If this "lesson" makes you more careful about queuing for an STF that you won't finish in the future, it has done exactly what it was intended to do.
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In the OP's defense, it seems to be more of a bug in the queue UI. A few times I've set filtering for fleet actions, Gorn Minefield was automatically hilighted; if I just hit "join", it'd queue me for Azure Nebula. You need to hilight something else on that page, then go back to the one you want, then join.
  • fayekfayek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OP is just being a baby. You try ending up in HOSE because of that instead. But you know how I was able to avoid the leaver penalty? BY NOT LEAVING.
  • akurie666akurie666 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Be more carefull in the future. This thread is irrelevant.