test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Add unique item codes to all exchange items

indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,545 Arc User
I had a great idea. Why don't we add a code to all items that you can sell on the exchange? It would be much easier than typing out the whole description and make a huge improvement on searching.

Here is what I would do. Assign each item a five or six digit code like this;

BR55AD
The "B" would designate the commodity, for instance, deflectors
The "R" would designate rarity. (C, U, R, and V for each possibility)
55 would be the 55th item in that commodity
The last two digits would only apply if the item have additional attributes. For instance, if it was Accurate and had the possibility for Critical damage you would add "A" and "D". If you wanted to search all items in that commodity, you would drop the last two codes and get all items that matched the first 4 codes.

these codes would appear someone on the item description and could be typed into the exchange as a description. What do you think?
Post edited by indyshark on

Comments

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because typing BR55AD is easier than to type "self sealing bolt" ?
    I don't think a lot of people would remember the code, and it would make it even more difficult to search something.
    When I need self sealing bolts for my reputation, I know what I need. I don't know what a BR55AD is, and never will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vactuskasunvactuskasun Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Because typing BR55AD is easier than to type "self sealing bolt" ?
    I don't think a lot of people would remember the code, and it would make it even more difficult to search something.
    When I need self sealing bolts for my reputation, I know what I need. I don't know what a BR55AD is, and never will.

This. Most people aren't accountants that live and die by codes. Far easier to remember an actual word.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A brilliant idea, but being able to search for an items exact place.... I don't really see the point of that. A price range slider would be a better option.
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That instead of the fact I can drag and drop when Looking for and Posting an item? Think I like it the way it is tbh.
  • Options
    evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    indyshark wrote: »
    BR55AD
    The "B" would designate the commodity, for instance, deflectors
    The "R" would designate rarity. (C, U, R, and V for each possibility)
    55 would be the 55th item in that commodity
    The last two digits would only apply if the item have additional attributes. For instance, if it was Accurate and had the possibility for Critical damage you would add "A" and "D". If you wanted to search all items in that commodity, you would drop the last two codes and get all items that matched the first 4 codes.
    Of course, to get BR55AD, you will have to submit requisition form QS-887410/B in triplicate with the Department of Gizmos and Other Junk. No photocopies allowed.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps I am doing something the hard way. When I have a good item I want to sell, I check the exchange to see what the prices are. I just wanted something that was easier to type then the full name. You would not have to remember the code, it would appear on the item description.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    nalo wrote: »
    That instead of the fact I can drag and drop when Looking for and Posting an item? Think I like it the way it is tbh.

can you explain that please? What do you mean drag and drop when looking for an item?
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    can you explain that please? What do you mean drag and drop when looking for an item?

When doing a price search for an item you intend to sell, you can simply drag the item into the search bar and it will autofill with the name of the item. All you have to do is select the rarity and category (if you desire)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When doing a price search for an item you intend to sell, you can simply drag the item into the search bar and it will autofill with the name of the item. All you have to do is select the rarity and category (if you desire)

It...... it does that? :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Cool, thanks! That is too easy
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It...... it does that? :eek:

Yep, the only annoying thing is the rarity. And sometimes level [Mark X in the name will pull up Mark XI and XII for instance, so you may want to refine there].
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sudoku7 wrote: »
    Yep, the only annoying thing is the rarity. And sometimes level [Mark X in the name will pull up Mark XI and XII for instance, so you may want to refine there].

I never really bother with the rarity. If I'm checking on a VR item it will have 3 modifiers, guaranteeing that only VR items show up. If I'm searching for an X or XI item and an XII item pops up earlier than it should then it's possible that someone made an error with the price. Buy and resell for the proper price!! (Can you tell that I have a Ferengi toon?)
  • Options
    kempethkempeth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    BR55AD

Daniel: Couldn't we call this planet something that's a little easier to remember?
    Carter: Ah, it's based on a binary code the computer uses for extrapolation.
    O'Neill: Which makes it much easier to remember.
    Great! Only three left. Now all I need is for one of them to leave the room and then there will be only one left...
    Wait, where I come from three minus one still leaves two!
    Where I come from is a far more interesting place.