test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starbase / Ship Customisation & Content Suggestion

nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
Since I started playing this game not long after it's release there's always been one aspect of the game that even many of my friends and fleet members would like to see. Let me start with customisation:

Ship Appearance - I'd like to see more customisation options when it comes to choosing your ships appearance. A list of items that displays on the screen when you go to customise your look that are all viable options. For example, if I wanted to stick a 3rd warp nacelle on my ship there would be an option or if I wanted a strut added between the warp nacelles etc

Now you could have it as something functional, maybe there could be a way of unlocking additional pieces and you'd get slight bonuses. That being said it brings me back to another issue is having ships at tiers based on rank / level. I know they've added in retrofits and fleet versions of the lower level ships, but I always felt that if you start with a constitution at the lower level and you want to stick with it at the next rank, an option to upgrade the ship instead of purchasing one of the new ones that becomes available at that level would be a good idea IMO.

Starbase / Ship Interiors - I'd like to see more ways in being able to customise the look of your Ship / Starbase interior. Now with the ships I know you have the 3 variants you can choose from and the size of the rest of the ship, but I'd like to be able to customise the layout more or at least have more choices, so everyone can have a more unique look to their ship interior. Maybe a list of different chairs for your crew to sit at and your captain, different styles of view screens and maybe be able to have a few different places to place consoles and their look.

With the Fleet Starbase it feels very empty when I visit it and I'd like to be able to choose and have some customisation over where the Special Project unlocks go. For example the meeting room; the meeting room to me feels way to open with the glass walls and glass bridge, it just doesn't feel right. I'd like also to be able to add more consoles from a list and other small cosmetics like Fleet Banners with your fleet logo on it and the style interior / colors etc which could just cost Fleet Credits to unlock.

Finally, the last thing I'd like to see is storyline on your Ship & Fleet Starbase. Many have said they'd like to do more missions on their ship, with semi-decent rewards. Give us more of a reason to visit the ship and get involved in non-combat missions, with stories similar to what we saw in the shows. You could even have some repeatables that maybe earn some dilithium, like a tribble infestation that you have to sort.

On the Fleet Starbase I'd like to see small side missions that maybe reward you with Dilithium, Fleet Marks and anything else which is used regularly to donate towards projects. It gets people to visit the starbase more and they can put it towards the projects for the fleet to advance. I'd also like to see them make use of the holodeck, maybe add in the bar from Star Trek Voyager and you can go play Pool or Darts and win some EC.

Of course there are many, many, many other things I'd like to see changed in this game and I feel Star Trek: Online needs a lot of focus on what we have and giving us a game that doesn't feel like it's still in Beta in my opinion. But with these suggestions, for me would be a step in the right direction as I feel STO lacks a lot of depth which quite a few MMO's have.

I'd love to hear your feed back and if anyone else has any ideas! :)
api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
Post edited by nierion on

Comments

• kajereillockajereilloc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is a dangerous post, I've been BANNED from posting on the STO Facebook page for posting very similar things - no abuse, no cursewords, nothing unacceptable at all, just a call for more customisation and single-player centric additions.

STO developers et al do not like people questioning their PvP heavy addition structure.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    See the links in my sig for centersolace and I's Ship Interior Revamp proposal. Dev tacofangs occasionally shows up to critique ideas, too.

Feedback there would be greatly appreciated.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is a dangerous post, I've been BANNED from posting on the STO Facebook page for posting very similar things - no abuse, no cursewords, nothing unacceptable at all, just a call for more customisation and single-player centric additions.

STO developers et al do not like people questioning their PvP heavy addition structure.

Well, having a feedback area to help improve the game and not allowing feedback on certain things because they don't like it, would be very narrow minded. I can only hope this kind of feedback or any kind get's looked at seriously, even if it's something the developers never really considered looking at before, but if it's something that a majority of their consumers would like, then you got to try and tailor your service to whats in demand.

sumghai wrote: »
    See the links in my sig for centersolace and I's Ship Interior Revamp proposal. Dev tacofangs occasionally shows up to critique ideas, too.

Feedback there would be greatly appreciated.

I'll definitely have a look Sumghai and when I get some time I'll try and give some feedback! This is one of the things I feel very strongly about seeing in STO. Thanks
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • mikells1988mikells1988 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally would love to see the ship customising options a little less restrictive. I mean, they went so far as to develop "fluff" (refer to The Path to 2409, I forget which chapter) about how the Starfleet Corps of Engineers was successful in altering all starship designs to be interchangeable. Now while it doesn't say "with similar classes of starship" ... it also doesn't NOT say it.

For example; years ago, long before the conceptualisation of STO in JJ Failbrams mind (since he was the inspiration for a lot of the backstory if not directly involved in the game's development per se) I was writing a fanfic about the Enterprise F in the 25th century. And I always envisioned it with an enlarged Sovereign-style saucer, with Prometheus-like nacelle LAYOUT and dual secondary hulls....

So I would be really ******n stoked and even WORSHIPFUL of the PWE crew to, at some stage in the game's future development, take away the current customisation limitations so I can bring that dream to life. Though, of course, *SIGH* I'll have to think of a new ship name since they STOLE MINE!

*Chuckles*

I've also noticed (unless someone can enlighten me how) that Romulan players can't really customise their ships at all. You get a ship, with no customisation options like the Fed ships.

Not sure about Klingons ... don't play them. Prefer to pewpew them for being asses (story wise, not player wise)

And also ... while I don't mean to nitpick, there are continuity things. Like the inside of a Romulan shuttle having a Federation shuttle layout (so far only witnessed during mission cutscenes) ... missions prior to LoR referring to Rom players as Starfleet or KDF (I assume) depending on which alliance they went with ... rather then referring to them as (heaven forbid) Romulans.

And perhaps the biggest gasp of mine ... the EPIC bridge that the Enterprise-F was given in the cutscene of the lady's first introduction (arriving at DS9 during the battle with the displaced Dominion forces) where Shon says "OHAI! GUESS WHO!" ... and then you hail him ON the Enterprise later ... and it's a Galaxy-class bridge layout. Is it a holographic bridge? Is the whole ship a captured Changeling?