test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starship mines

ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
edited February 2013 in The Academy
I have a noob question regarding starship mines (specifically for Federation players). Can anyone use them, regardless of character class or ship type, so long as they have ranks in the appropriate skill? Or are mines something that only specific ships/officer classes can use?

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ambassadormolari on

Comments

• guardianvalourguardianvalour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mines can be used by any character class on any type of vessel, for all factions without the need to invest in specific skills.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a noob question regarding starship mines (specifically for Federation players). Can anyone use them, regardless of character class or ship type, so long as they have ranks in the appropriate skill? Or are mines something that only specific ships/officer classes can use?

Thanks.

Mines are available to all ship classes so long as they have a rear weapon slot (that is, shuttles can't use mines, but basically everything else can).

However, the most popular way to use mines is to use Dispersal Pattern Beta to launch a mine net, more-or-less a counterpart to High-Yield and Spread torpedo powers.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You don't even need ranks in the associated skills, anyone/any ship can equip mines (though they are limited to aft weapon slots).
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Any ship can equip them in their aft weapon slots.

The only weapon restrictions in the game are that most federation cruisers and science ships are unable to equip dual cannons. Additionally, a number of zen and lockbox ships have weapons/consoles that can only be equipped on the respective ships they came with.

There are no character requirements for using mines, but keep mind that some fairly high tactical bridge officer slots are required to really make the most use out of them.
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh, awesome! That's good to know.

A sort of related question, but how do you move hotkeys around? Case in point, I just got a new ship, and it's really annoying to have to switch between 9 and 0 for forwards weapons and CTRL 1 and 2 for aft weapons. Any way I can move all four to just 1, 2, 3 and 4?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You CAN set weapons to auto-fire by right-clicking them.

As for the keybinds - those are dependent on where you have them in your hotbars. The keys for those hotbars can be reassigned in the options.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh, awesome! That's good to know.

A sort of related question, but how do you move hotkeys around? Case in point, I just got a new ship, and it's really annoying to have to switch between 9 and 0 for forwards weapons and CTRL 1 and 2 for aft weapons. Any way I can move all four to just 1, 2, 3 and 4?

You are still probably using the default power tray layout. Hit the small icon on the upper right of the power trays. It look like a tiles windows. That will bring up a menu (1, 2, 3, 4) of the display modes of the power tray.. Mode 1 is the default with trays mapped out to your Weapons window, and BO windows and 1 row of 8 slots tray. Modes 2 and 3 will move to a plainer 2 and 3 rows of 10 trays. Most players will use these modes. Mode 4 is Mode 1 + 3.

In Mode 2-4. You can move the power icons on the trays by right-clicking on the power and dragging it to to the desired slot. Right click, drag and drop an icon off of the power tray to remove/delete it. And you can add icons to the power tray by, left click, drag and drop powers from your 'Power' window. (Ht P or the Icon under the tiled window icon on the right of the Power Tray).