test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proper Starfleet markings on ships

predator804predator804 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Not sure if anyone else really cares about this but it kinda bugs me that there are NO StarFleet markings on the Sovereign class ship, there is supposed to be a Starfleet emblem on either side of the star drive section and on the warp nacelles, I know this is a simple issue but it shouldnt be to hard of a fix.
Post edited by predator804 on

Comments

• tovalmorgantovalmorgan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    none of the models in STO are 100% accurate to what they were on screen/ from the production models.
    "We are the Perfect World. Life as you know it is over. We will add your monetary distinctiveness to our own. Your player base will adapt to service us. Resistance is Futile."
  • eraserfisheraserfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps they're Enterprise-only markings?
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=520631&page=7

Add yours to my list. I've already got other Sovereign class starship issues here, as well.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There was never any marking on any Star Fleet ship only that of The UFP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    only that of The UFP.
    I can't think of a single instance where I saw the UFP logo on a ship. Name and registration were pretty much the extent of it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might recall seeing the UFP logo on a ship sitting in spacedock in one of the TMP movies, but that's hardly precedent.

All I want is the option to pick no emblem; I've never seen a decent looking fleet emblem, and the UFP logo looks like a pair of blue blobs, like some child thought that if they painted eyes on the thing it would look cooler.

Please, let me choose no emblem.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There was never any marking on any Star Fleet ship only that of The UFP.

The standard ship marking for Starfleet is the Starfleet chevron, not the UFP logo. You seem to have confused Starfleet for the Federation (which is understandable, as they've never established exactly where Starfleet ends and the Federation begins).
    All I want is the option to pick no emblem; I've never seen a decent looking fleet emblem, and the UFP logo looks like a pair of blue blobs, like some child thought that if they painted eyes on the thing it would look cooler.

The big issue for me is that, for some reason, the default UFP logo on ships has a crazy bloom effect for absolutely no reason. It glows blue even though it should just be a marking, not a light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    The standard ship marking for Starfleet is the Starfleet chevron, not the UFP logo.

While they use the Starfleet Arrowhead logo it does say United Federation of Planets right after that logo and the ship's name along the secondary hull of some ships (mostly in the films).
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the star cruisers also do not have any markings besides the UFP and name registry. no chevrons or red lines
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    edited February 2013
    No.Thay all have UFP and back in ToS every ship had it own shield as the Delta was exculsivly The Enterprise

It says this on all my Models in Starfleet Command.

Cryptic put the wrong symbol the ships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NoBfykPg70
    Star Trek Gamers
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    after the ToS series starfleet adopted the enterprise's chevron as the fleet symbol to honor the ship and it's crew

this is why in the movies onward every ship used the chevron

in the real world the studio got lazy and didn't want to make a different insignia for every ship and crew
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No.Thay all have UFP and back in ToS every ship had it own shield as the Delta was exculsivly The Enterprise

It says this on all my Models in Starfleet Command.

Cryptic put the wrong symbol the ships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NoBfykPg70

Hate to jump on the bandwagon of disagreeing with virtually everything you say....BUT....

A) That video you link is nothing even resembling canon...the CGI is so-so for a fan project, but its NOT canon.

B) You just proved yourself wrong...the only emblem on that ship is the Starfleet chevron, not a UFP logo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
    edited February 2013
    No.It is not as that is an actuall model of the model ship and they use the delta shield for the UFP on Starships.Starfleet has never used the UFP logo on Starships look at the belly of the Galaxy class.

http://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/galaxy_vnt.jpg

This one is definely from one of the movies.

http://i.imgur.com/NSdGA.jpg

This is my sig and if you look very closely you will see it has the delta shield representing the UFP.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1697/mysigr.png

besides .I know that ship really well as it is my Favourite.

Here is a better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPrYMczF3k
    Star Trek Gamers
  • stephenopolosstephenopolos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can't think of a single instance where I saw the UFP logo on a ship. Name and registration were pretty much the extent of it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might recall seeing the UFP logo on a ship sitting in spacedock in one of the TMP movies, but that's hardly precedent.

I Agree with this. Please allow us to kill the emblem on the ships.
  • brigonos1brigonos1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You seem to have confused Starfleet for the Federation (which is understandable, as they've never established exactly where Starfleet ends and the Federation begins).

I always thought of the Federation as the government and Starfleet as the military of that government.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    brigonos1 wrote: »
    I always thought of the Federation as the government and Starfleet as the military of that government.

It's foggy, to say the least.

The Federation is basically a U.N. in Space, with members including Earth, Andoria, Vulcan, etc. Logically, Starfleet would then be something more like N.A.T.O., being a combination of all the militaries of those member states ... except that Starfleet is an Earth-based, and clearly Human-centric organization. Federation member species can join, and even rise to command and admiralty, but it's completely based on Earth and heavily filled with Human officers and enlisted personnel, compared to those other races.

Picard even talks about "humanity" and "Starfleet" as though they were interchangeable sometimes, and when talking about Starfleet history, they speak mostly about Earth.

Again, they never really explain what Starfleet is to the Federation -- it could be the official, mutli-national military branch of the same government, or Earth's entry into the N.A.T.O.-like united military force of the Federation.

If it's the latter, then Andorian and Vulcan ships, as well as any other ships belonging to Federation member species, would also have UFP text on their hull, just as Starfleet ships do. If it's the former, then there should be Starfleet academies and headquarters on other planets, but we see no evidence of this.

Still, you never see the Starfleet Delta symbol on anything Federation, just exclusively on Starfleet ships and personnel. My own belief is that Starfleet is, essentially, the Earth government, and it just pulls the weight of the entire Federation while other species decide to basically kick back and mind meld or ushaan or whatever they feel like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seamus447seamus447 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    after the ToS series starfleet adopted the enterprise's chevron as the fleet symbol to honor the ship and it's crew

this is why in the movies onward every ship used the chevron

in the real world the studio got lazy and didn't want to make a different insignia for every ship and crew

The design on the Ent is supposed to be on every ship. Its manditory identification markings for all Starfleet vessels. And Starfleet is not a military of any sort, they are purely exploratory, whether scientific or expansionary. How ever the Starfleet Marine Corps (canon through fanon) is the military for the Federation. All the TRIBBLE previously mentioned in this thread is from a second rate group of ST writers that have no business being writers, let alone having a game developed on what they say. STO is a time consumer, nothing more. Any of its so called 'canon' facts are just as bad as, if not worse than, the TV show Ent. Anything contradictory is spitting on Gene Riddenberry's grave.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    brigonos1 wrote: »
    It's foggy, to say the least.

The Federation is basically a U.N. in Space, with members including Earth, Andoria, Vulcan, etc. Logically, Starfleet would then be something more like N.A.T.O., being a combination of all the militaries of those member states ... except that Starfleet is an Earth-based, and clearly Human-centric organization. Federation member species can join, and even rise to command and admiralty, but it's completely based on Earth and heavily filled with Human officers and enlisted personnel, compared to those other races.

Picard even talks about "humanity" and "Starfleet" as though they were interchangeable sometimes, and when talking about Starfleet history, they speak mostly about Earth.

Again, they never really explain what Starfleet is to the Federation -- it could be the official, mutli-national military branch of the same government, or Earth's entry into the N.A.T.O.-like united military force of the Federation.

If it's the latter, then Andorian and Vulcan ships, as well as any other ships belonging to Federation member species, would also have UFP text on their hull, just as Starfleet ships do. If it's the former, then there should be Starfleet academies and headquarters on other planets, but we see no evidence of this.

Still, you never see the Starfleet Delta symbol on anything Federation, just exclusively on Starfleet ships and personnel. My own belief is that Starfleet is, essentially, the Earth government, and it just pulls the weight of the entire Federation while other species decide to basically kick back and mind meld or ushaan or whatever they feel like.

Some shows or episodes, sometimes, contradict things they determine in others. The idea I have is that first there's this thing which is the Federation. It is basically an Union of several worlds. Every person of those worlds is a Federation citizen and the Federation will in fact resemble what we perceive today as a Government. The Federation's "easy".
    Starfleet, however, is way harder to grasp. They are militaristic and several times seem to report only to their own, although it's stated time and again that they are under the Federation and follow the Councils' directives. They very much resemble a military organization but they have a much broader am ample spectrum than just military. Science, engineering, exploration, and so on. It does seem that those roles exist outside of Starfleet as well, as it also seems that there are other organizations that also have some militaristic and/or intelligence role.
    The NATO comparrison is correct, in my view, if we remove a bit of the military idea and add a bit of civilian to it.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    seamus447 wrote: »
    And Starfleet is not a military of any sort, they are purely exploratory, whether scientific or expansionary. How ever the Starfleet Marine Corps (canon through fanon) is the military for the Federation. All the TRIBBLE previously mentioned in this thread is from a second rate group of ST writers that have no business being writers, let alone having a game developed on what they say. STO is a time consumer, nothing more. Any of its so called 'canon' facts are just as bad as, if not worse than, the TV show Ent. Anything contradictory is spitting on Gene Riddenberry's grave.
    The only military in the Federation is Starfleet, there's a reason they are the ones to fight wars and protect the Federation. The same reason for their military tech, military ranks, military academy and tendancy to perform military jobs.

The fact that they multi-task and handle exporation in peacetime doesn't change that.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif