test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Moving Boff skills in slots?

dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
edited February 2013 in The Academy
So I have this ship with 2 tac slots and I put my tactical boff in there, of course. Of the 4 space skills she has, only the first two fit in the two available tac slots, again... of corse. However, those skills are torpedo spread and beam spread and I really don't want them as much as I do the high yield torpedo skills she has which is greyed out to the right of the available slots.

SO, is there any way to shuffle these around? It seems a shame that she has the skills but the game dictate which ones can be used. It's not that I even want more slots, just to move the order of skills so that it shows up in the available space.

Hope I explained this properly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can get (most of) the skills You want for Your Bridge Officers at the Bridge Officer Trainer in the Personnel section of Earth Space Dock or the First City. Head there and select the filter for which type of class and ability You want to train Your BOff in (Science/Space, for example) to see what skills are available at which rank. You have to spend any expertise in these skills again and will get no 'refund' on spent expertise.
    Some skills can only be trained by certain classes and only at particular skill levels Your character has to have as a prerequisite. A few skills can only be found with the BOff when You get one. BOffs can be obtained while leveling a character or randomly in Duty Officer missions, often at the Academy. Or You can buy them at the Exchange, first tab. You can also buy a particular BOff with a skill You like and find nowhere else from the Exchange and have him train one of Your already existing BOffs in the use of that skill.

There are BOff skills for every rank: Ensign, Lieutenant, Lt. Commander and Commander and You get access to advanced versions of skills and new skills at each rank. But You cannot train a Commander-level skill (fourth slot) and hope to use it in a Lieutenant (second slot).

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, that last point is what I'm looking for, I think. The first of any slot is Tier 1, the second slot will be Level 2...I guess that's how it works.

On my Sao Paulo, there's a Commander tac spot with all 4 slots available making my tac boff's high yield 3 skill available. But on this Dreadnought, it's a Lieutenant tac category, only allowing 2 slots.

I guess the bottom line is, you can have a level 3 skill but you can't move it into a second slot position and can only use it if the ship has a third slot option.

Hm. Ok
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, that last point is what I'm looking for, I think. The first of any slot is Tier 1, the second slot will be Level 2...I guess that's how it works.

On my Sao Paulo, there's a Commander tac spot with all 4 slots available making my tac boff's high yield 3 skill available. But on this Dreadnought, it's a Lieutenant tac category, only allowing 2 slots.

I guess the bottom line is, you can have a level 3 skill but you can't move it into a second slot position and can only use it if the ship has a third slot option.

Hm. Ok

You can retrain your boff with High Yield Torpedo I and II.
    You can't put HYT III in there, as it's a Lt.Commander skill, and will always require a ship with a Lt.Commander (or better) tactical station in order to use.

These decisions are part of the strategy involved in customizing your ship abilities, and a major way that makes one ship different from another besides looks, even if both ships of the same type such as cruisers.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah as the guys stated above, the only way to move skills around is to retrain the Boff. Some abilities however, are exclusive to certain ranks.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, thanks. I think I have a slightly better handle on it now.