test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About Character/Ship Appearances

kaeajakaeaja Member Posts: 517 Arc User
I have a question, if we can change the outfit and visual appearance of the bodies of our characters on the fly just by clicking a few buttons, why cant we do the same with our Starship appearances?

I would love to be able to change the appearance of my ship without having to go all the way back to an npc in order to change my ship to and from appearances. I mean theres obviously nothing to do with money involving this...why you might ask, simple, if money had anything to do with it, we wouldnt be able to change our on the ground appearances unless we went to a tailor, instead while on the ground we can quickly switch from limited presets that we put together, so I do not see why we cannot do the same with ships.
Post edited by kaeaja on

Comments

• Options
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me that there is a massive difference between changing your clothes and having massive body work done to a 600 metric-ton starship.

But then again, I might be over thinking things...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me that there is a massive difference between changing your clothes and having massive body work done to a 600 metric-ton starship.

But then again, I might be over thinking things...

Perhaps I didnt make my point clear enough :3

When you create an alternate outfit for your Officer, you can not only change the outfit but you can also change their body proportions, so for example, you have one outfit where your wearing casual clothes and are like 5 foot 4 inches tall and have a lithe body, then you have an alternate outfit that you instantly change into on the fly where your wearing an Admiral's Uniform but your body is at the maximum possible height with as beefy/muscular as can be body, see my point? You can radically change your body appearance/shape from one appearance/shape to the next and thats just about as likely as rapidly changing the appearance of a...as you put it "600 metric-ton Starship". So you cannot really try to bring logic into this when logic in regards to this has gone poof faster then the Doctor can say "Computer deactivate EMH".
  • Options
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kaeaja wrote: »
    Perhaps I didnt make my point clear enough :3

When you create an alternate outfit for your Officer, you can not only change the outfit but you can also change their body proportions, so for example, you have one outfit where your wearing casual clothes and are like 5 foot 4 inches tall and have a lithe body, then you have an alternate outfit that you instantly change into on the fly where your wearing an Admiral's Uniform but your body is at the maximum possible height with as beefy/muscular as can be body, see my point? You can radically change your body appearance/shape from one appearance/shape to the next and thats just about as likely as rapidly changing the appearance of a...as you put it "600 metric-ton Starship". So you cannot really try to bring logic into this when logic in regards to this has gone poof faster then the Doctor can say "Computer deactivate EMH".
    I get your point, and I don't totally disagree with where you're coming from. But...

You and I probably won't agree on this, since I think there should be a bit of 'forced immersion' in the game, and bringing the ship back to the dock to make exterior changes is part of that.

That said, I'm not really opposed to locking in character appearances either. We couldn't change how our characters looked in EVE, and I was fine with it. It made creating the character mean a bit more.

:shrug: My opinion may be wrong, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kaeaja wrote: »
    I have a question, if we can change the outfit and visual appearance of the bodies of our characters on the fly just by clicking a few buttons, why cant we do the same with our Starship appearances?

Aside from the special item set visuals already doing what you suggest, you should try bolting on a different shaped pair of warp nacelles to your ship while tooling around the galaxy and tell us how it goes.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I get your point, and I don't totally disagree with where you're coming from. But...

You and I probably won't agree on this, since I think there should be a bit of 'forced immersion' in the game, and bringing the ship back to the dock to make exterior changes is part of that.

That said, I'm not really opposed to locking in character appearances either. We couldn't change how our characters looked in EVE, and I was fine with it. It made creating the character mean a bit more.

:shrug: My opinion may be wrong, though.

The thing is if immersion in this regard ment anything, then the same would have to be done for the Officer you control, you'd have to take them back to the tailor to get a new outfit on and to change body shape, except no you can do that on the fly, so immersion is broken there, what more immersion breaking can happen if the starships star doing it to?
    Aside from the special item set visuals already doing what you suggest, you should try bolting on a different shaped pair of warp nacelles to your ship while tooling around the galaxy and tell us how it goes.

Aegis, Omega and MACO only change visuals of your ship, not your shape. Secondly how would changing ship appearance while on the move be any different to suddenly changing your body shape like you were a Changling or a Shapeshifter? I dont know if your trying to say what I think your saying but stop trying to say that it cannot reasonably be done, if it can be done with the character it can be done with the ship itself to.

To give an example of what id like to do btw, I dont want to use those Ship Holographic emitter things, no id like to be able to change the hull of my Vesta from the Vesta hull to the Rademaker Hull while on the fly, get it? Cause I think the force field over the hangar platform from the Rademaker Hull is cool but I like the size and shape of the deflector of the Vesta Hull, so they need to let us change ship appearances on the fly, would save time and btw, immersion in regards to this would not actually be broken if you need to make a change to one of your presets that can only be done from space dock.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is one exception. You can get shapeshifters. They can radically alter their bodies, but you dont get shape shifting ships.

Granted, you can do that on all species, not just shapeshifters.

Personally, I'm glad we can't change our ships outside the docks. I'd be happy if the battle damage skin was there constantly until you get to a dockyard (or use major components/engineering team or something).

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    There is one exception. You can get shapeshifters. They can radically alter their bodies, but you dont get shape shifting ships.

Granted, you can do that on all species, not just shapeshifters.

Personally, I'm glad we can't change our ships outside the docks. I'd be happy if the battle damage skin was there constantly until you get to a dockyard (or use major components/engineering team or something).

I am not talking about taking away the need to go back to the docks to change your appearance. You would still need to if a change you want to make IS NOT ALREADY PART of the presets you saved for the quick changes, so stop acting like this is going to destroy something cause its not.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know exactly what you're saying. Just because you find some people who don't agree with what you would like to see in game is no reason to get upset.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'