What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    clannmac wrote: »
    And here it is...

I know this release (http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=821691) was planned a while back and they'd announced it would be discussed soon. Planned, sure, but certainly "well-timed" to come out now, though...

YEP, several of you called it - here's the new "ooooh, shiney" that was predicted would come out just in time to try and run interference and cloud the issues in this thread! Some of ye need to consider a career on The Psychic Network," ha! Nah, it's just that you know your Cryptic, eh? ;)

Sorry, chaps: these ships are cool, but not a single penny more until the issues in this thread (at VERY least - one could hope for more...) are addressed!
    giarana wrote: »
    I don't think the Devs/PWE have the time to spend on this issue, they have more money making advertising to make $$$$$$$$$$$

At least it's nice to know that they are in the forums, I guess this tiny little thread isn't busy enough for them to look in and say hello...

Dan, Dan he's our man,
    if he can't answer,
    nobody can...

Too bad they don't invest as much time making a good game as they do creating a new ship.

Not to mention the KDF gets a big middle finger again when it comes to content.

It's too bad, my Klingon toons have pretty much done nothing but sit in the Pi Conis sector block and collect contraband, prisoners, and dilithium. That's the great Klingon Empire for you.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • walkincrowwalkincrow Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This game has such a narrow focus towards one faction PvE repeatable missions. The nice thing about the foundry daily was it allowed players to explore a new source of entertainment and decide where they wanted to spend their time in order to get a fair reward. The decision to remove this has me scratching my head, just like the prior STF dilithium fiasco. I don't see a point in playing through the foundry and not being rewarded for my time and the thought of going back to fleet missions to earn marks is just depressing considering how many times I have run through them already.

Cryptic really dropped the ball here, again. The fighting between foundry authors and large vs small fleets is just egotistical minutiae. Step up to the plate and reverse this change. Let the customer/player decide how they want to spend their time and earn a worthwhile reward.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well there's no doubt that STO's getting neglected because of Neverwinter - also, when NW gets released (in typical buggy, barely fit-for-purpose MMO fashion) it'll be all hands on deck for the inevitable 45-day patch.

How this will impact their grand plans for 'The Season formerly known as Eight' remains to be seen - you'll forgive me if I'm not too optimistic though won't you? :)

It's been stated many times that there are separate teams for STO and Neverwinter. The only impact that Neverwinter right now has is that there are features for the foundry that are going to come from Neverwinter, once it is released.
    Don't worry, NW will get neglected as soon as Cryptic gets its hands on another IP to build a storefront out of.

Once more, separate teams.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    clannmac wrote: »
    And here it is...

I know this release (http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=821691) was planned a while back and they'd announced it would be discussed soon. Planned, sure, but certainly "well-timed" to come out now, though...

YEP, several of you called it - here's the new "ooooh, shiney" that was predicted would come out just in time to try and run interference and cloud the issues in this thread! Some of ye need to consider a career on The Psychic Network," ha! Nah, it's just that you know your Cryptic, eh? ;)

Sorry, chaps: these ships are cool, but not a single penny more until the issues in this thread (at VERY least - one could hope for more...) are addressed!

Lol, note this "Each Andorian ship has some slight modifications befitting the role they might fill on the various battlefields of the galaxy. The Khyzon is the most reminiscent of the ship we've seen in Enterprise, and has a slightly more "sciencey" feel compared to the others. Next, the Charal boasts armored-up hull sections, beefier, sturdier wings, and bulkier cannons, as it will most likely fit the role of a more engineering focused vessel. Similarly, the Kumari Class is the tactical version, and it boasts larger forward dual cannons and sleeker, longer, wing cannons than the rest, with a slightly more aggressive stance. Mixing and matching parts, with paint patterns and varied hull materials will allow players to make some pretty interested mash-ups. Also, each ship comes equipped with the new Andorian bridge and a unique console that has an awesome ability ? more information about these, and each ships? stats, in an upcoming Dev Blog."

Again a 3-pack, minimal design effort, just swapping around some small cannons or whatever and a console extra for whatever the version is intended to be focussed on, maximum profits. On top of that of course a console that looks too good to be true, which two weeks later when they nerf it turns out to be right...yeah I'm excited about these new ships:rolleyes:
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been stated many times that there are separate teams for STO and Neverwinter. The only impact that Neverwinter right now has is that there are features for the foundry that are going to come from Neverwinter, once it is released.

Dan Stated he was playing the new FE before he left for Zynga and also said that the game wasn't going f2p and was making good money.

No cups in the kitchen?
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

How'd that work out for the CO to STO transition hrmm?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,746 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    walkincrow wrote: »
    This game has such a narrow focus towards one faction PvE repeatable missions. The nice thing about the foundry daily was it allowed players to explore a new source of entertainment and decide where they wanted to spend their time in order to get a fair reward. The decision to remove this has me scratching my head, just like the prior STF dilithium fiasco. I don't see a point in playing through the foundry and not being rewarded for my time and the thought of going back to fleet missions to earn marks is just depressing considering how many times I have run through them already.

Cryptic really dropped the ball here, again. The fighting between foundry authors and large vs small fleets is just egotistical minutiae. Step up to the plate and reverse this change. Let the customer/player decide how they want to spend their time and earn a worthwhile reward.

[My emphasis]

The main reason I wrote my proposal (see link below). Give the players a choice.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    Dan Stated he was playing the new FE before he left for Zynga and also said that the game wasn't going f2p and was making good money.

No cups in the kitchen?

New FE: We know it was in a rough draft phase then because we saw the maps. It was his predecessor's comments

Not going F2P: You need to read dev posts like a lawyer. He said "no plans." He stopped saying that or anything early in 2010. If I were him and wanted to play the legalese card, I'd hop on my iPhone 5 minutes before the first planning session reaffirming that there were "no plans" and then have the community manager keep linking people to that thread while I made the plans.

Making good money: I think the Cryptic POV on this was covering costs and I don't think Atari would have bothered selling them if they weren't.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    So when it comes down to it Mr Stahl. It's not just the FM's that's the problem, or even just the bugs alone, the whole game needs to be looked at again and worked on & patched up to a standard which your consumer deserves. Stop throwing new ships at us, lockboxes and new outfits, that stuff can come later when we have a stable game.

Other people have quoted this and I will as well. As much as I'd like to see this happen, I just don't think it's in the cards. I think it's pretty evident where Cryptic's stance lies.

Cryptic doesn't care about quality, they care about revenue.

They don't see increasing quality as a source of revenue, they just want to stuff more revenue sinks into the game.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

So what, it's still the same company with the same goals and same philosiphy.

Bioware/EA had different teams for Mass Effect 3 and SWTOR, and we saw how those turned out.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How'd that work out for the CO to STO transition hrmm?

Frankly, I think on some level, CO has always been seen as Jack Emmert's expensive hobby and R&D for other games.

STO is something they expected and expect to make money on. I'm not sure CO is or has been since about 30 days after CO launched. I wouldn't be shocked if the big thing keeping it afloat isn't that pulling the plug would undermine confidence in STO and NW and upset Jack Emmert. But if Jack ever retired, I think you'd probably see CO shutdown inside 90 days.

I think maybe they had big hopes for it to be a 250k subber game and realized they were out of touch and shipped devs off to polish STO and avoid a repeat. Then they had hopes of being the premiere F2P game.

But if they hadn't transferred a bunch of CO devs to polish STO, they would have collapsed. Because their idea of a passable MMO launch was out of date. CO faltered out of the gate. And the only survival strategy at that point was to make sure STO launched better than it was set to at that point.

At this point, I think they may be overestimating NW... But I think CO has almost never met expectations and has been getting one stay of execution after another, ever since launch day, whereas STO is probably not on the verge of sinking.
  • absolutwillabsolutwill Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me the folks at Cryptic are making a simple situation way more complicated than it should. So I hope folks at Cryptic are listening cus this is your solution.

First off, regarding the topic at hand; I have no problems with fleet marks being removed from the foundry missions. I frankly don't know why they put them in there in the first place. The fleet marks system was created for fleet activities, so let them stay there. However you have to address the reason why so many people are upset about the removal of FMs from the foundry wrapper. Its because 50 fleet marks are actually worth the time it takes to do these missions. On the other hand you have No Win, fleet defense, and other fleet PvEs that rewards pitiful amounts of FMs. (Just like Azure Nebula and some of the Romulan rep missions) The Solution is easy, INCREASE THE FM REWARDS GIVEN BY FLEET MISSIONS. Make these PvE's actually worth the time it takes to do them (Like STFs which give 60-110 Omega Marks). Getting 12 fleet marks from a 20+ minute no-win (chasing down a scimitar) is totally ridiculous and frankly insulting to the player. If Cryptic had done this in the first place instead of adding FMs to a foundry wrapper, you wouldn't be facing a 100+ page rant on your forums.

Another convoluted problem Cryptic created themselves is this problem with fleet progression. The explanation given, involving "Option A" and "Option B" is nothing short of an slap in the face to the players. We are not fools Cryptic, we don't live in a 2-dimensional world with only 2 options. Why don'y you tell us about "Option C." Ya know, the option you decided you were too lazy to take? SCALE FLEET PROGRESSION BASED ON FLEET SIZE! In other words, actually program an algorithm that scales holdings and requirements to the size of the fleet. Cryptic, its not as complicated as it sounds and it can be done. The problem is it will take a great deal of manpower, manpower you prefer to be using on releasing new money-making content. Problem is you released a broken product, the customers have spoken, and they deem to be broken. Now, its your responsibility to fix it.

Luckily for you, like I said, these problems have simple solutions.

Regards,
    DubC
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    STO is something they expected and expect to make money on. I'm not sure CO is or has been since about 30 days after CO launched.

I think they knew this the moment Marvel pulled out and they had to scrap all the content and completely replace it; after that it was about trying to salvage something from all that hard work, not create their Next Big Thing. STO was their first post-CoH project that they expected to make big money on; and they have.

Let's face it, it wouldn't be worth asking them to change this if STO wasn't successful; there'd be no point in changing it if there weren't a lot of paying customers unhappy with the change.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    ..Not to mention the KDF gets a big middle finger again when it comes to content.

More like a two fisted double bird once again...
  • bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    SCALE FLEET PROGRESSION BASED ON FLEET SIZE! In other words, actually program an algorithm that scales holdings and requirements to the size of the fleet.

I think this is a great option. Cryptic has said that people would abuse this power and progress a small fleet really quickly so they can get the larger starbase/rewards and then invite everybody back in, and now you have a large T5 fleet in half the time (which isn't fair).

My solution to this issue would be to keep the starbase tiers as they currently are (requiring just as much work, dilithium, etc.), but change when a fleet gets their Mk XII, etc. rewards. A smaller fleet would get Mk XII items at, say, T3 instead of T5. Actually, I would redo that to be like the old Borg set, which scales with you. However, instead of scaling with you, the items would scale with the fleet. I only suggest this because I'd imagine this would be easier to implement, I could be wrong, though. If your fleet size hits a certain threshold of fleet members, the fleet weapons would decrease in relative Mark, assuming a change would be necessary and they hadn't already earned it. By that, I mean if a small T4 fleet invites more members into their fleet and their Mk XII threshold was at T3, and their new threshold would be at T4, then no change would be necessary. I believe my solution would prevent exploitation that Cryptic has pointed out before. I can see how some fleets would be on the edge and constantly being tipped one way or another, but I'm going to have to leave this to Cryptic to figure out best balance.

In the end, fleet starbase progression would take just as long, but would allow smaller fleets to gain their Mk XII fleet weapons in the same amount of time as the larger fleets. The smaller fleets would still not have huge starbases, which I personally don't think they should have any handicap there.

Finally, as absolutwill and others have suggested, scale up the Fleet Marks earned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mindwipecjgmindwipecjg Member Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    I think they knew this the moment Marvel pulled out and they had to scrap all the content and completely replace it; after that it was about trying to salvage something from all that hard work, not create their Next Big Thing. STO was their first post-CoH project that they expected to make big money on; and they have.

Let's face it, it wouldn't be worth asking them to change this if STO wasn't successful; there'd be no point in changing it if there weren't a lot of paying customers unhappy with the change.

do you not pay attention to the ppl who are paying either via subscription or free to play with zen points at this point i already mentioned this to you in another thread.. you need to appriciate this issue to your your masters, and also perfect world being in control and Sthal's predecessor De'Angelo (though short lived), at least work with the community and not fluff them around.

At least De'Angelo DIDNT QUIT , HE RETIRED from the game Sthal came back after quitting quit Zenga for not managing games properly like farmville etc after only 10 weeks.

Now he's back running STO slowly into the ***** into the ground.. and EVERY GAME PLAYER IS RECOGISEs this as they look it up its common history..

seriously man do you look up history on this games developers???

tis why i call them your masters as the old addage of "just following orders doesnt cut it in the STO community! THIS IS A STAR TREK GAME??

and you wonder why since the merger with perfect world this game is loosing revenue!!!!

also why most of the crerative staff have either been fired or left since the end of season 5!!
    edited February 2013
    incidentally... now you know why alot of STO players have jumped ship to The Old Replublic
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    and you wonder why since the merger with perfect world this game is loosing revenue!!!!

Doubling their staff and teasing their biggest update yet after a series of increasingly large updates is evidence of the exact opposite of losing revenue.

You clearly have no idea what's even going on.
  • tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Doubling their staff and teasing their biggest update yet after a series of increasingly large updates is evidence of the exact opposite of losing revenue.

I was about to ask exactly what he based that particular... statement... on. Like you I suspect they are making quite a tidy profit, which only serves to make the issue all the more infuriating. I am not however privy to the books so it is merely conjecture on my part...
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Please make sure you post your thoughts on the new ships and let Cryptic know what you REALLY think of them..:)

Thank god they have some talented artists working for them.

Its to bad their not programmers to...
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    Please make sure you post your thoughts on the new ships and let Cryptic know what you REALLY think of them..:)

Thank god they have some talented artists working for them.

Its to bad their not programmers to...

it looks like a federation BOP.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »

Um I know one subscriber who isn't anymore and SINCE S7 many subscribers have ended their subscribtions due to cryptics action. The game has become a grindfest. Something we have said time and time again. And taking of fleet marks on Foundry just adds fuel to this fire. I fire that has been ignored again and again and we're frankly getting tired of it. THEY ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS. I have paid real money since S7 except once for room for the Ambassador.
    edited February 2013
    I was about to ask exactly what he based that particular... statement... on. Like you I suspect they are making quite a tidy profit, which only serves to make the issue all the more infuriating. I am not however privy to the books so it is merely conjecture on my part...

really you seen the revenue stats personaly via company lately?? GO LOOK AGAIN! (and im a Sto fan this needs to be fixed) i point this out cos they are being totally outshined!!! this latest senario isnt helping...
    edited February 2013
    THEY ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS.

Of course they are. Subs leave all the time with every game. There is another side to the equation though. Can you say with absolute certainty those losses aren't being fully offset by new subs?
    edited February 2013
    Of course they are. Subs leave all the time with every game. There is another side to the equation though. Can you say with absolute certainty those losses aren't being fully offset by new subs?

are you going by that image they just recently released or do you have the exact numbers on hand of Old Subs vs New Subs?
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • smoketh2smoketh2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While all these new ships are really nice we are lacking the content to really put them through their paces.

Its great having a new ship but the novelty soon wares off when you find yourself playing the exact same content over and over again. At this point I would even consider buying new content off the c-store if it was an option! Most games usually sell dlc these days anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    really you seen the revenue stats personaly via company lately?? GO LOOK AGAIN! (and im a Sto fan this needs to be fixed) i point this out cos they are being totally outshined!!! this latest senario isnt helping...

Where did I say I saw "the revenue stats"? In fact, I said the exact opposite. I haven't. Therefore any statement I make regarding Cryptic's bottom line is a guess at best. We won't get into what it would be at worst.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Pretty much, for what reason would they have to subscribe. THAT'S the point. Many subs Specifically said that S7 was they reason they quit, they're some you have posted on this topic that they are done subscribing to STO. THIS is seriously the problem.
  • deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    Here's an interesting quote from the Company Profile page of the parent company's website in Beijing...

"We are a leading online game developer and operator based in China. We primarily develop online games based on our proprietary game engines and game development platforms. Our strong technology and creative game design capabilities, combined with our extensive knowledge and experiences in the online game market, enable us to frequently and promptly introduce popular games designed to cater changing customer preferences and market trends."

So if that is the parent company saying that, then how does the "child" not know it also?

PWE/Cryptic Stop the FARM! Bring back the FUN!

Zeus

In the good old day you had to spank a child to make it listen.
    edited February 2013
    smoketh2 wrote: »
    While all these new ships are really nice we are lacking the content to really put them through their paces.

Its great having a new ship but the novelty soon wares off when you find yourself playing the exact same content over and over again. At this point I would even consider buying new content off the c-store if it was an option! Most games usually sell dlc these days anyways.

don't give them ideas there, next mission might come in a lock box. but being here for the entire length of the game the whole 3 years even beta access, I pretty much know each mission from the back of my hand, I have 13 toon in all, 10 Fed and 3 KDF.
    lHut1H2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.