test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rumors about May update with Character Creation?

shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Q: (mandoknight89) Can we get some more information about the upcoming changes to the character creation system? Will it include new free costumes or a fix to some items that have clipping issues?

Dstahl: The overhaul to character creation is coming in the May update and includes a structural redesign of the Character Creation UI. We are taking the previous workflow of creating a character and condensing it down to Race & Class, Appearance, and Background. That is a specific feature related to how you create a character and is not the same thing as an individual issue with a specific costume clipping. Many players have been emailing me with costume issues and those issues are being forwarded directly to the costume creation lead so that they can be addressed.

So, there's been some rumbling about this. I've heard someone who claims to be an investor in Cryptic say that this update is going to put a lot of the character generator options behind a paywall. You will basically pick from two genders, three classes, and six races, and have no character customization until you unlock it, possibly even through lobi.

There's more, but it's all very outlandish. However, people are telling me that this person is reliable and has been right about predicting Cryptic decisions before. And the description doesn't mention anything about traits, which I admit I find a little odd/troubling. On the other hand, it could just be a rumor or an idea that Cryptic toyed with and discarded.

What do you think? Will Cryptic limit the CC?
Post edited by shaanithegreen on

Comments

• picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think they would charge their own mamas 99 cent/minute to talk to their grandchildren on the phone if she would pay... so yes.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    At the time I am writing this, there are absolutely no plans for this at all. Of course we'll continue offering premium costumes and species (Ferasan, etc.), but what you are suggesting is not on our radar at this time.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At the time I am writing this, there are absolutely no plans for this at all. Of course we'll continue offering premium costumes and species (Ferasan, etc.), but what you are suggesting is not on our radar at this time.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That was an unusually quick response. Almost . . . too quick. *tinfoil hat*

Looking forward to hearing the real details, whatever they may be.
    edited February 2013
    That was an unusually quick response. Almost . . . too quick. *tinfoil hat*

Looking forward to hearing the real details, whatever they may be.

Because rumors fester into yucky tar pits. I like to seal (I had "squash" there at first, but then I would get stuck in it Oo) them when I can :)

I will tell you that I was able to see some of the work on the creator recently and it is EPIC! Can't wait for you all to see it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ...investor in Cryptic...

You do realize that there is no such thing as Cryptic is a private company owned entirely by Perfect World Entertainment.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And the description doesn't mention anything about traits, which I admit I find a little odd/troubling

There is another question relating to traits, so they're not being removed.
    edited February 2013
    You do realize that there is no such thing as Cryptic is a private company owned entirely by Perfect World Entertainment.

I didn't say I believed it myself. Just stating that the rumor exists.
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I trust Brandon more than some friend, of a friends, cousins next door neighbors brother
  • terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yes, but you CAN buy stock in PWE. Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    is not pivate but "public" I beieve PWE is on stock exchange
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wait, ONLY two genders now? THIS IS AN OUTR.. oh...
  • sjbrexsjbrex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Andorians used to have four, but they "nerfed" them (since that word isn't thrown around enough these days! *SARCASM*)
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sean2448 wrote: »
    is not pivate but "public" I beieve PWE is on stock exchange

Yes PWE is, but Cryptic is a wholly owned subsidiary of PWE now.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • hiplyrustichiplyrustic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Yes PWE is, but Cryptic is a wholly owned subsidiary of PWE now.

And as such, gets told what to do by PWE when PWE feels the need/desire to do so. :)
  • picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Notice that he didn't deny trying to charge his mama 99 cents/minute to talk to the grandkids though!!!
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Notice that he didn't deny trying to charge his mama 99 cents/minute to talk to the grandkids though!!!

You're assuming Bran has either parents, or children. Everyone knows he was grown in a lab from genetically engineered strands of bran.
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will tell you that I was able to see some of the work on the creator recently and it is EPIC! Can't wait for you all to see it.

Well so many secretism it's very disappointing, specially when you say things like that...
    edited February 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    I trust Brandon more than some friend, of a friends, cousins next door neighbors brother

I like to be open minded, but I'm not going to accuse Mister Flakes of being a liar. :)

Thank you very much for the information. It's calmed my channel down immeasurably.
    edited February 2013
    I didn't say I believed it myself. Just stating that the rumor exists.

I heard a rumor in zone chat today that we're working on a playable BranFlakes. You all get to play as me! Even run the forums, post all the news, schedule interviews, take all the screens, and much much more! 100000 ZEN. :D

EDIT: Captains, when it comes down to it, players are going to make up rumors about anything to get you talking and speculating. It's been going on since before the game launched.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I heard a rumor in zone chat today that we're working on a playable BranFlakes. You all get to play as me! Even run the forums, post all the news, schedule interviews, take all the screens, and much much more! 100000 ZEN. :D

EDIT: Captains, when it comes down to it, players are going to make up rumors about anything to get you talking and speculating. It's been going on since before the game launched.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

******n it if I don't get one of these (IN A SKIRT EVEN) I'm going to stop playing! :D
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

stop the troll posts please :rolleyes: :P:D
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
    edited February 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Will there be a cheaper version of somewhat questionable quality available like the two Rikers? Price is kinda steep. Perhaps a BlandFrakes?
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So STO is moving over to the same character creation process as Neverwinter? Will we also get the ability to pick where we're from and the like? And if so, how would this effect existing characters?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
    edited February 2013
    Captains, when it comes down to it, players are going to make up rumors about anything to get you talking and speculating. It's been going on since before the game launched.

Well, regardless, thank you for managing my community so quickly, before it got out of hand.

And you'll notice I brought it up in a neutral tone instead of the normal sputtering rage that comes with these rumors. I accept thanks in cash, check, and Jem'hadar Attack Ships (y'know, what's REALLY important).
  • hiplyrustichiplyrustic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    So STO is moving over to the same character creation process as Neverwinter?

I hope not, since I certainly wouldn't call what I just saw in that video in any way "epic" or superior to what exists here and now...you?
    edited February 2013
    Well, regardless, thank you for managing my community so quickly, before it got out of hand.

And you'll notice I brought it up in a neutral tone instead of the normal sputtering rage that comes with these rumors. I accept thanks in cash, check, and Jem'hadar Attack Ships (y'know, what's REALLY important).

In which case they'll check for the ship and ask for the cash. ;)
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope not, since I certainly wouldn't call what I just saw in that video in any way "epic" or superior to what exists here and now...you?

Only thing I like is the Background selection.