test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek; The Game will you get it?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Ten Forward
Here's a trailer of the new Star Trek game, coming out in April. Looks ok, but is it something you will get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRxRqSxTVU
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Squad based shooter from a developer with a reputation for short mediocre shooters. Probably a rent, unless the multiplayer is somehow revolutionary.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im getting it because it is star trek. Also, it adds to the new line of trek that will be canon to my kids when they are my age like TOS , TNG, and the others are to me. And I like to think we are seeing the evolution of Star Trek. I bet it will lead to another t.v. show.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I feel you, what i am afraid of the most is that since JJ is doing Star Trek and Star Wars they will end up in the same category, a mindless action flick. So I am worried for both. Even though it is known JJ is a bigger fan of Star Wars. He may end up devoting efforts to keeping certain traditions in that alive compared to what he did will Star Trek.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nah. Honestly it looks like a really crappy, scripted, linear 3rd person shooter with Star Trek slapped on it. Watch a "Let's Play" on Youtube if you're desperate for the story filler.
  • broodwynbroodwyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite DLC for Mass Effe...."
    "Sheppard, I regret to inform you that this isn't Mass Effect related"

Seriously though, Generic 3rd person shoot em up set in space with star trek slapped on it, that's all I'm getting from this, I'll be passing on this one or doing what Hypl suggested
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Production Assistant & Art Director
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if JJ decides to combine Star Trek and Star Wars into one franchise. Having the same director for both franchises is just asking for trouble. We might see the Borg in Star Wars and the Force and lightsabers in Star Trek.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Directors don't have that kind of power. Disney would have to buy Paramount at least and probably both Paramount and CBS to do that, and the combined pricetag exceeds Disney's buying power (and neither of the other two can afford to buy Disney alone, mostly eliminating the reverse scenario happening).
  • csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm considering it. If the co-op is REALLY good, that will probably seal the deal for me (unless of course the rest of it sucks...)
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • bereggaberegga Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Directors don't have that kind of power. Disney would have to buy Paramount at least and probably both Paramount and CBS to do that, and the combined pricetag exceeds Disney's buying power (and neither of the other two can afford to buy Disney alone, mostly eliminating the reverse scenario happening).

Yeah, there's a hot mess of writing and legal to overcome for that to happen. Besides, the next Star Wars movie is likely to be penned by Lawrence Kasdan, who was the writer for Empire, Jedi, and Raiders. (Everyone seems to forget that Lucas did not write or direct the two best movies in the franchise.) Into Darkness was written by Orchi/Kurtzman: Lost, Cowboys and Aliens, and Fringe. Writers and directors do work on different projects without combining them. It's part of the job.

Of course, homage easter eggs to other movies has long been a part Star Trek trivia., but that's about as far as it's likely to go.

But back on topic, preview video of the game doesn't thrill me, and likely will be beyond my system's capabilities for the near future.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I might "try" it. :P But I'm not going to buy it unless it's truly spectacular. Right now it looks like Republic Commando with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. :rolleyes:
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I might "try" it. :P But I'm not going to buy it unless it's truly spectacular. Right now it looks like Republic Commando with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. :rolleyes:

If it's anything like RC it's sold.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    If it's anything like RC it's sold.

The Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss are solid and worth the read.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8