test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

All beams cruiser damage type?

smorn123smorn123 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Federation Discussion
I'm a tactical captain running Odyssey tactical cruiser. My weapon setup is all beams. Through leveling I played with phaser beam arrays. Now I reached end game and I'm considering antiproton vs. plasma vs. phaser damage type for PvE (phasers are star trek). I would not like to mess this up because very rare Mk XII equipment costs millions of ec. Crafting only takes me to MK XI.
Post edited by smorn123 on

Comments

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2013
    Disruptors are hard to beat and the Devs wont nerf the klingon weapon like they do the others from time to time, the same with phasers but no real gain from phasers and they cost much more.

If your staying with energy weapons only 3 dual beam banks and 5 beam arrays may be a good choice for you

Good luck
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Disruptors are hard to beat and the Devs wont nerf the klingon weapon like they do the others from time to time, the same with phasers but no real gain from phasers and they cost much more.

If your staying with energy weapons only 3 dual beam banks and 5 beam arrays may be a good choice for you

Good luck

Idk in an oddy without saucer sep 3dbb's mau be hard to use effectively.

Atho i agree disruptors are always a good choice.

Heres a break down

Any weapon with a disruptor proc can increase your damage from all sources by 5%
    Such as polarized disruptors, spiral wave disruptors(only available if you have a galor), plasma disruptors(free from the past iimperfect mission) Romulan plasma disruptors (uses the plasma damage type so consoles can be cheeper), and obviously regular plasma weapons.

Antiproton weapons deal more innate damage since they dont have a proc

Plasma weapons are allright but there are consoles available from the romulan embassy that will add a plasm,a proc to any weapon so.....
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Plasma really comes into it's own if you're in a Fleet with a Embassy that's provisioned, and have the Romulan console and beam array. The consoles mentioned with the chance to have Plasma proc added to any weapon, will add damage instead to plasma type weapons, stack three of those in your Science Consoles and you have a fair bit of damage.

The Romulan Console (+ to all power levels, + to crits)and the Romulan Beam Array (0 power drain when fired!) together will also buff your plasma damage.

Those together plus 3x Plasma Infusers will melt most things things PvE. It should even be enough to get over the 20% STF shield resist in PvP, unless I'm figuring things wrong.

Other things to bolt on: The Borg console (+5 Weapons power, + to crits) and Kinetic Cutting Beam (360 degree kinectic damage). The two piece bonus for that set has a proc that adds more weapon power, as well as reducing drain when firing weapons. Pretty good thing to have with any weapon type.
  • brakner11brakner11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am currently running this on my Reagent

5x Tetryon array
    1x cutting beam
    1x 180 Quant rear
    1x Bio Nuke forward

I like the tetryons for their shield stripping ability and with a constant cycle of HYIII or TSIII from the 180, you can do some good damage,

P.S. hate their sound though
  • smorn123smorn123 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you all for suggestions. I've decided to go with Romulan plasma. The grind for reputation will be fun :). For now I purchased green MK XI plasma beam arrays since they were cheap and fitted my ship with plasma infusers. New Romuls dailies are a piece of cake on normal difficulty.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    whats the sense in mixing DBB front and BB in the back...they do not have any overlaping firearc!
    for maximum effectiveness you will want to have the maximum amount of weapons possible on your target. That means DBB with turrets for frontal attack (that needs more turnrate than 6), or all BB and broadsiding.
    you could also go for single cannons and turrets, also very nice and a compromice between flanking and frontal attack.

my advice would be plasma weapons with romulan consoles for PVE and disruptors for PVP.
    Go pro or go home
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not really sold on the romulan experimental plasma beam array. Yes, it doesn't drain power. But it also doesn't benefit from my tactical consoles. So you are literally comparing the no-drain damage output of the REPBA to the with-drain and console-boosted damage output of something else. If that something else is a cannon, and not another beam array, then it will do better. And the "plasma hull melt" firing mode completely fails to impress me, being that it has a minute and a half cooldown for a weak form of APB and about as much damage as a single light torpedo from the hyper-plasma launcher.

Now, if the romulan weapons in the reputation store didn't cost so freaking much THEN it would be worth it. Because then I could use plasma weapons and not give up the disruptor proc. But given that it would take months to get enough dilithium to outfit a single ship with romulan plasma-disruptors, and I can't even use any of them until I have the full set because they are an energy type change...

meh
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    I'm not really sold on the romulan experimental plasma beam array. Yes, it doesn't drain power. But it also doesn't benefit from my tactical consoles. So you are literally comparing the no-drain damage output of the REPBA to the with-drain and console-boosted damage output of something else. If that something else is a cannon, and not another beam array, then it will do better. And the "plasma hull melt" firing mode completely fails to impress me, being that it has a minute and a half cooldown for a weak form of APB and about as much damage as a single light torpedo from the hyper-plasma launcher.

Now, if the romulan weapons in the reputation store didn't cost so freaking much THEN it would be worth it. Because then I could use plasma weapons and not give up the disruptor proc. But given that it would take months to get enough dilithium to outfit a single ship with romulan plasma-disruptors, and I can't even use any of them until I have the full set because they are an energy type change...

meh

6x Rom BA at 29k Dil ~ 178k dil (gotta add in the extra 700 or so) ~ 23

So at 23 days of 8k dil per day, you would get your 7 plasma/disruptor BAs (figuring you already have the experimental BA). And in those 23 days at 1 mil ECs per day (easy to get) you will also have 23 mil ECs which would be enough easily for 3 or 4 mk XII blue plasma infusers.

Soooo... a long term (ish) investment, but with huge reward possibilities.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    6x Rom BA at 29k Dil ~ 178k dil (gotta add in the extra 700 or so) ~ 23

So at 23 days of 8k dil per day, you would get your 7 plasma/disruptor BAs (figuring you already have the experimental BA). And in those 23 days at 1 mil ECs per day (easy to get) you will also have 23 mil ECs which would be enough easily for 3 or 4 mk XII blue plasma infusers.

Soooo... a long term (ish) investment, but with huge reward possibilities.

Long term, yes. :P I'm not going to buy those rep weapons before I stop caring for Zen/Dilithium.

Which is a pity, I really had a nice build starting to take root in my head.

For PvE, Romulan plasma (and plasma overall) has currently great benefits.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!