test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Marauder or Fleet Corsair?

neanderthrallneanderthrall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Klingon Discussion
I'm trying to see what would be better. They both cost about the same (2000 zen. The fleet ship with fleet ship modules. Fleet credits really aren't hard to get) The problem that I'm having between them is the bridge officer layout of the maurauder. I like it more, but the slightly better stats, and the item slots for the fleet corsair are better. Any help? Thanks!
Post edited by neanderthrall on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The fleet corsair is better than the marauder in every way. i have both and haven't used my marauder since.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • neanderthrallneanderthrall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    The fleet corsair is better than the marauder in every way. i have both and haven't used my marauder since.

What about the bridge officer layout?
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With the fleet corsair, you get a little more higher level science at the cost of lower level Engineering that the Marauder has.

As an engineer, I like engineering abilities, but I don't like too many lower ones.
    So I get a commander Eng and an ensign eng.
    Perfect.

Sci get a Lt and a LTC sci. Perfect. You fill up on Sci team, haz, tractor and whatever you want.

The Fleet Corsair is really an awesome ship. Those shields will never go down unless you go to the washroom during a fight.
    You can fill up on special consoles without ever feeling that you should have put a resist or shield console in there because, like I said, those shields will not go down.

You are more likely to die from TB than phasers.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There's the Fleet Corsair, then there's the Fleet Corsair Retrofit. I presume you're talking about the latter.

Being a fleet retrofit the Corsair is kinda half a tier up from the Marauder and the regular Fleet Corsair by having an extra console slot, +10% shields and extra hull (compared to normal fleet corsair, making it match the stock Marauder but with +1 turn rate). So it innately is already better than the Marauder before you even look at the boff arrangement.

Boff arrangement is just all about how you like to play. If you like engy heavy ships, fly ships with many eng boff slots.

As an engineer I have both Marauder and Fleet Corsair Retrofit and love them both, but having the extra console slot, same hull, extra shield and turn rate does go a long way. I'm also very partial to the extra Sci abilities the Retrofit has so am flying it around the most atm.

However the Marauder is a mighty fine ship and when I go back to flying it (which I often do) it's like coming home to nice fire place on a cold winters day. It's a well rounded ship, but the lack of a fleet variant bonuses (+1 console, extra hull and shields) means it's just not as great as it could be.

When ever the opportunity arises I try to ask devs about making a Fleet Marauder Refit. Buff to hull, shields and 10th console would make it easily equal to the Fleet Corsair Retrofit. If that were the case it really just comes down to if you like playing with lots of engy boff abilities or a balance of sci and engy.

Right now, with my experiences, the Fleet Corsair Retrofit is the better of the two. Like you I prefer the Marauder boff layout but unless/until there's a Fleet variant to match it, the Marauder is playing 2nd fiddle.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • djwashudjwashu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Pocking up my fourth fleet module today so I'll get to find out what all the fuss is about.