test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to do target practice?

svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm so new to Foundry that I have yet to finish creating any missions; and now with the change to Timid, none of the tutorials out there will be able to answer my question:

How can I put ships in space that the player can shoot and destroy, that won't shoot back? This isn't a farming mission, so it's fine if there are no loot drops.

Similarly, you know those non-Foundry missions where you have to destroy space stations and asteroids? Can you do that in Foundry too?
Post edited by svwilson on

Comments

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1) Timid NPCs now fight back. Yes there was legitimate uses for it but it got exploited so Cryptic had to chagne it. Hopefully it will be back

2) There's no easy way to do this, you can try hiding ships inside asteroids etc. and when the ships are destroyed make the asteroid vanish
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    1) Timid NPCs now fight back. Yes there was legitimate uses for it but it got exploited so Cryptic had to chagne it. Hopefully it will be back

2) There's no easy way to do this, you can try hiding ships inside asteroids etc. and when the ships are destroyed make the asteroid vanish

In reverse order:

2) This only works if the player's ship spans on the map within the attack range (blue circle) of the enemy ships (all of them) from the moment the player enters the map--otherwise the ships will be teleported out of the object.

1) They didn't HAVE to, they could have just flagged them to not droop loot. As usual they had a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that just made things work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    1) They didn't HAVE to, they could have just flagged them to not droop loot. As usual they had a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that just made things work.

As said by me and others, that's not possible at this time:
    jheinig wrote: »
    The ability to flag a creature as not dropping loot is currently not linked in any way to its behavior conditions. Thus, we don't have a good way to set up Foundry critters so that when they are set to not fight back, they don't drop loot.

It might be possible for us to create a default critter that does not move or fight, which is set to never drop loot by default, upon which you can place a costume. If we can do something like that, you could place this "object" anywhere and costume it appropriately as a ship, a creature, a crate, whatever.

I'll talk to Zero tomorrow to see if we can work out a way to do this. No promises -- Foundry is not my normal area of expertise and I do still have a lot of other work to do! But I will at least do some brainstorming on the issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Alright, fair enough I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Alright, fair enough I guess.

That has to be the most polite response to "I'm sorry, you're mistaken, and here's why", that I've ever seen on a Web forum. Good for you.

Now, about my problem? A destructible target that doesn't shoot back? I wanted the player to blow up derelicts. Any ideas?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    svwilson wrote: »
    Now, about my problem? A destructible target that doesn't shoot back? I wanted the player to blow up derelicts. Any ideas?

I suppose you could set an interact with no animation, and set each derelict to despawn (and an explosion to spawn) in response.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I suppose you could set an interact with no animation, and set each derelict to despawn (and an explosion to spawn) in response.

Yes, that's as close as you are going to get I'm afraid. The ability to either force a ship to be stationary and/or destructible objects is yet one more functionality that could stand to be implemented.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As said by me and others, that's not possible at this time

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Then, one thought might to MAKE IT POSSIBLE. Targets who don't shoot back (regardless of their difficulty/level), should not drop loot. Period.

In other MMOs, you generally have it as such that some creatures are flagged as "Neutral" until you start damaging them, at which point they will become "Aggressive" and fight back. You guys keep saying your team is expanding, and expanding... Why not put some of these new guys to good use, to fix old issues and adding new mechanics (without adding entirely new grind systems). One such issue, would be to fix the ability trays becoming filled with abilities you didn't select.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At this time, for target practice, tutorials, try putting a very low level mob, and skinning it as what you want it to look like. It will shoot back, but not be very dangerous.

Not the best solution, but as posted above, and as I've heard elsewhere on forum and from hearsay, Dan Stahl and the rest of the team and really looking into this issue and into other related issues.

There is hope!

At least the Timid change now makes something easier in a mission I plan on making.:D
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At least the Timid change now makes something easier in a mission I plan on making.:D

Planning to do something with the Borg? Because the new "Timid" behavior really fits the traditional Borg modus operandi as we saw it on the show: ignore it until it shows that it's a threat.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Planning to do something with the Borg? Because the new "Timid" behavior really fits the traditional Borg modus operandi as we saw it on the show: ignore it until it shows that it's a threat.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! :eek:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013

No, but I wanted some optional fights, and if they choose diplomacy, it will beam out the combat mobs and replace them with non-combat ones. Or you shoot them.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Wow I didn't think of that either,really useful as I'm now making a borg mission!
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's unfortunate this functionality was removed. Maybe it can be replaced with a new NPC group that has no weapons, and just runs away, and likewise has a loot table with no drops.