test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporal Ambassador: level 30 players will miss so much...

inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,330 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Federation Discussion
I can see it happening already.

We know that the mission will be staying in game after the three year celebrations and given that the reward will be a level 30 starship, I see the minimum level for the mission being increased to level 30. This makes sense so far.

Now, imagine a new player coming to the mission in a few weeks time when the three year celebrations are over. They've successfully completed the Klingon War storyline and are currently half-way through the Romulan Mystery storyline. They'll notice that B'Vat and T'nae make an appearance and probably enjoy the fun behind that.

However, the appearance of Obisek, Slamek, Rogan Skyl, Vakel Shon and a few other nods are totally lost on them. This is somewhat disappointing as it is clear to me having played the mission through a few times now that the development of the mission was clearly a lot of fun and I certainly had a lot of fun playing it.

Since this 'getting it' only requires advanced knowledge of the Cardassian Struggle too, perhaps it's time to rethink the minimum level for several of the story lines?

Keep the Klingon War at the beginning but open up the Romulan Mystery for players at level 10 and the Cardassian Struggle at level 20. This will allow players to experience their preferred storyline for levelling and perhaps increase players appreciation for such a lovingly crafted mission.
- - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The appearance of Obisek, Slamek, Rogan Skyl, Vakel Shon and a few other nods are totally lost on them.

During Temporal Ambassador, maybe. But when they encounter these characters later on, it'll probably provide the same kind of nostalgia. Just in a different order.

That said, I do agree that the fronts should be mixed up a little bit more.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Makes sense that each point in your career corresponds to a specific front. Its more realistic to be sent to one front and when that is reasonably dealt with, then get sent to another front. Waste of time and resources for a simple captain to be dealing with more than one front at a time. The Reputations kind of defeat this purpose with the whole traveling to New Romulan to chase down alien bunnies, then travel to gamma orionis to engage the Borg, but realism has to give way to gameplay.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't see the problem myself, whether you recognize familiar characters after encountering them in the main missions or recognize them from the temporal mission when you encounter them again in their proper places the feeling will be the same. There is just too much to break by changing the order of the missions and with all of the coming content as well as the needed bug fixes I really don't think it would be wise to waste time reinventing the wheel at this stage of things.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,330 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    There is just too much to break by changing the order of the missions and with all of the coming content as well as the needed bug fixes I really don't think it would be wise to waste time reinventing the wheel at this stage of things.

Who said anything about changing the order? I merely suggested lowering the minimum level requirement for the Cardassian Struggle and the Romulan Mystery sections.

Perhaps, the 2800 episodes can be brought into their own section? This might make more sense since they don't really have any link to the Cardassians at all.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll tell you what new captains will miss out on. Seeing Slamek sitting there and you fighting the urge to liberate his head from his shoulders for stabbing you in the back! :P
    edited February 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I'll tell you what new captains will miss out on. Seeing Slamek sitting there and you fighting the urge to liberate his head from his shoulders for stabbing you in the back! :P

Good point. :D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I didn't think they were removing the mission, just the reward. I thought that's what dan said in one of those server chats. And actually I thought the tier 3 ambassador was still gonna be obtainable.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

edited February 2013
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    I didn't think they were removing the mission, just the reward. I thought that's what dan said in one of those server chats. And actually I thought the tier 3 ambassador was still gonna be obtainable.

The mission is staying, and the Tier 3 Ambassador/Kamarag is still a reward. We're just debating where it will fall in the STO chronology.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • admiral3nickadmiral3nick Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think it would be interesting for you to be able to choose which "front" you want to progress through in which order you want to do them in.

Have ole Quinn give you a listing of possible postings and you get to choose which to be "stationed" in in which order. When one is completed you are able to move to the next one.

Some missions like this one, can unlock at certain levels, others only after the previous mission is completed.

Just my 2 cents in there :)
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem is the T3 Ambassador as a reward, it's not worth getting at the level where you will have already encountered all of the characters, but at the level where it will be useful you won't have encountered a good portion of those characters yet. Lowering the level requirement for the arcs so that they can be started in any order might help, but the arcs would still have to retain their internal order otherwise things could get very confusing. The question then becomes whether the game mechanics could accommodate lower level players playing missions that previously required a higher level more skilled player. It seems kind of pointless to rearrange the entire game structure just to make one mission fit, it's far simpler to simply unlock the Temporal Ambassador mission at the commander level as a stand alone mission and leave everything else as it is. Yes you encounter unfamiliar characters sooner but you will recognize them later when you meet them in their proper order.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,330 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Have ole Quinn give you a listing of possible postings and you get to choose which to be "stationed" in in which order.
    That's quite good. The Klingon War is a very interesting storyline but I find the Romulan Mystery to be quite dull.

maxvitor wrote: »
    Lowering the level requirement for the arcs so that they can be started in any order might help, but the arcs would still have to retain their internal order otherwise things could get very confusing. The question then becomes whether the game mechanics could accommodate lower level players playing missions that previously required a higher level more skilled player.
    The Featured Episodes have all had a lower level limit of about 6 (or is it 10) when they were released so the game mechanics can cope just fine. Take on level 5 Gorn then go fight some level 50 Gorn and see the difference.