test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fun is gone !

gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
When i started playing this game ( shortly after launch ) ,I fell in love with it. I met so many people that i never would have know otherwise some that are truely nice guys.

I would goto work and tell the guys there to start an account ( none did ) , I would play this game everyday when i got home just to wind down (It was fun ).

It had taken me over a month of playing everyday to get to a level just to do the stf's. Then when i got there I got thru infected on my second try., after that came the cure . The fleet i was on had been trying to do that mission for over a month before we finally completed it. Yes at the time it sucked and i was frustrated but in retrospec it was so great finally beating such a hard mission or so i thought .For right after that was KA the hardest mission in the game ( at least the longest ).

People complained or so PWE says that so many wanted it different they had to change it. I for one think that they changed it because if your doing such a long mission your not idle with time to spend thinking of buying more zen. Whatever the reason it matters not for it is done.

Now it is a grind a relentless grind one in which feels like work and stress and not FUN !
So it is my opinion (and a few others that i know in game ) that the game has become a money grab with poor content and tghe only reason i still come on is that i have spent so much of the last 3 years playing that it is hard to just walk away.

Does everything in this game have to be a grind ? Is this the only thing you have to keep the players here? Give us the long timley missions back and let up on the grinding feel of the game.

MAKE IT FUN AGAIN !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by gatsie7 on

Comments

• lordcorrinolordcorrino Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Then don't grind. You don't need any of the fancy stuff to play the game.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013

This is what I do and none of my pillows are stained with tears!

Also, I've played other MMOs and have a decent concept of what "grind" really means.
    <3
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2013

no you don't...but then it comes to a point when the game becomes nothing but the grind, when you did everything else and there is nothing but grind left.

I almost agree on the OP, but simple matter is, back then everything was new and fresh for us all, that is why we miss those days, now we see most of Cryptics time is (this is speculation, not sure which is going on at the moment) either working on S8 or making more bad cash grab decisions.

if D-Stahl is really thinking of a kickstarter fund, hell I would gladly pay out my TRIBBLE to get cryptic and PWE in the same boat but not as Farmer and Cash Cow, just enough to earn both of them some upkeep and bring some freshness into the game.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gatsie7 wrote: »
    Does everything in this game have to be a grind ? Is this the only thing you have to keep the players here? Give us the long timley missions back and let up on the grinding feel of the game.

MAKE IT FUN AGAIN !!!

/Signed/ :)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fun is relative. Take a break and when you get back there will be new things to do :)
  • cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    no you don't...but then it comes to a point when the game becomes nothing but the grind, when you did everything else and there is nothing but grind left.

You're right.

It's unfortunate that this game doesn't have a foundry so that you can play new missions made by other people or create new missions yourself...
    twg042370 wrote: »
    This is what I do and none of my pillows are stained with tears!

Also, I've played other MMOs and have a decent concept of what "grind" really means.

I have all the fancy stuff in the game and then some ! This is not about getting stuff ,this is about a game that thinks doing end content that takes less than 15 minutes for any mission is fun. Is this a game or a grind fest .

I say bring back the epic long missions that at the end you recieve your ear and go on a 24 hour cooldown for that mission. Bring back the missions that require team work and some challenge.

What point is the reputation system i do not get it. Reputation leads you to believe you know how to do that part of the game . Omega rep can be done by doing the same mission over and over never doing anything else and at the end you will have all the gear you need and yet you could still have no clue what your doing, So what does donating hypos and sheild charges haxe to do with any of theese misssions other than part of the grind, Hell over half the people that play the game never use a heal in a mission, if you want to make the game so easy then remove injuries ,remove the possability of dying ,heck remove the enemies we can all walk to the end map exit then go back to the pointless rep system and then to the all important Flet gring where right now my fleet neeed 1.3 million dil. for 3 missions .

Yeah we could just say the hell with it but getting to where we are it seems like a waste to walk away and yet even a larger grind ahead which brings us back to the point of the original post .

Bring back the fun !

I know myself and a few others that feel the way i do would be back in game full time if indeed we actually had real indepth playable content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I suspect grind is being exacerbated by playing all day every day. Cut down your amount of hours, or spend them doing something other than grind. There's plenty on offer, especially for Fed characters.
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • ericshatnerericshatner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My hope, with news of the expanded dev teams and a hint that we may get playable Romulans this year, is that their success at making money will breed new, more compelling content.

I play a few of the F2P MMOs, though admittedly I tend to pay my way in them, and I kinda like how STO approaches revenue generation. You can level, and play the original content to your hearts desire and not pay a cent, but if you want shinies then you fork out the cash. Whether that is thru selling keys on the exchange to buy what you want there, or if you get a kick out of opening boxes, that's entirely up to you.

It isn't perfect of course, but by January 2011 STO was a tossup whether it was a complete bust, so I for one am glad that they do seem to be making money.
    edited February 2013
    My hope, with news of the expanded dev teams and a hint that we may get playable Romulans this year, is that their success at making money will breed new, more compelling content.

Yes, but will they be playable with full PvE content, or as a reskinned Klingon faction from 2010? Sadly, I suspect it's going to be the latter. :(
  • ericshatnerericshatner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What if they just get rid of the levelling pretense and make Romulans unlockable at 50. I think that might work. It seems churlish to expect them to back fill 50 levels of content in a free game for the sake of it.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    You're right.

It's unfortunate that this game doesn't have a foundry so that you can play new missions made by other people or create new missions yourself...

Point. Point. Point.
    I suspect grind is being exacerbated by playing all day every day. Cut down your amount of hours, or spend them doing something other than grind. There's plenty on offer, especially for Fed characters.

Point. Point. Point. Point. Point.
    Take a break and when you get back there will be new things to do :)

Point. Point. Point. Point. Point. Point. Point. Point. Point. Point.
    <3
  • djezc#0623 djezc Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i understand this i myself am always on the grind .. STORY MISSIONS is what we need more of it was sooo cool to have the Yarr mission the new Romulus missions were sort of fun but not half as fun as the 2800 series

i grind for lobi now days i did all the rep system (wich rep system was a fun grind they need to extend that)

As long as they keep making new stiff like this anniversary mission and the others it will keep the "Fun" alive.

If you need a way to add more "Fun" try teaming up with your fellow fleet members or try helpping a lower rank player Lv Up, or teaching them more about the game.

besides - the stuff they got planned for May let me just say WOOT!

"Fun" is what you make it - so make it a good one
    edited February 2013
    What if they just get rid of the levelling pretense and make Romulans unlockable at 50. I think that might work. It seems churlish to expect them to back fill 50 levels of content in a free game for the sake of it.

Well, what we expect is not really the point, it just doesn't seem reasonable to add a new faction with little or no content. They did this with the Klingons (after having first promised full PvE), and it took years to get any form of PvE going at all, and we're still lacking a huge chunk of the game.

What worries me, is that they are going to do the exact same thing with the Romulans, if they are indeed the next playable faction. It just seems pointless to add them if there's going to be no meaningful content. Just my opinion of course, but seeing what they did from launch onwards, I'm not expecting a lot.
  • ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Last summer, I really got into the new Starbase system and was playing 6 alts everyday, grinding for Fleet Marks and Dilithium. After awhile, I got burned out and lost sight of what I enjoyed about the game, so I took a break.

I played some DCUO and some SW:TOR to cleanse the pallete, and now I'm back to STO, refreshed and eager to play in the wonderful world of Star Trek once again. Relearning my ships and my BOff powers; reaquainting myself with strategies and maps; making noob mistakes on "easy" leveling up missions; it's all fun again!

Playing ANY game, no matter how much (or little) content there is, gets boring after awhile. Try mixing it up a little.
  • mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ggg247 wrote: »
    Last summer, I really got into the new Starbase system and was playing 6 alts everyday, grinding for Fleet Marks and Dilithium. After awhile, I got burned out and lost sight of what I enjoyed about the game, so I took a break.

I played some DCUO and some SW:TOR to cleanse the pallete, and now I'm back to STO, refreshed and eager to play in the wonderful world of Star Trek once again. Relearning my ships and my BOff powers; reaquainting myself with strategies and maps; making noob mistakes on "easy" leveling up missions; it's all fun again!

Playing ANY game, no matter how much (or little) content there is, gets boring after awhile. Try mixing it up a little.

Yep same here! Stopped playing STO after Season 4 and went and played SWTOR and GW2. Now I am bored with those 2 so back to STO!

It is fun relearning and seeing all the new stuff! Having a blast! Until I get mad at Cryptics/PWE crappy money grab something or other then i'll take a break again! :P
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fun is gone!? It was never there to start with...
  • cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    Fun is gone!? It was never there to start with...

Says the person who still logs on to the forums for a game that they say was never fun.

Classic.
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    Says the person who still logs on to the forums for a game that they say was never fun.

Classic.

The forums are infinitely more fun and entertaining, and far less of a "grind."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know about you, but the newest thing I did in the game with the Enterprise C was one of the funnest things in the game for me I've experienced.
  • hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Everyone says its a endless grind and so forth. If you dont want to grind dont, there is the foundry, that alone will keep you busy for weeks. Do some missions you liked in the past, visit some of the worlds you have not gone to. I like the grind now and then and when I get tired of it I go to something else. I am always finding something to do in the game that to me is new and fun.
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Alot of good and valid points however, The foundry is limited to what you can do and I'm more interested in doing 5 man missions. Ones that actually take some coordination to complete.

After thinking upon the recent changes i have realized that for the longest time I along with alot of others were waiting for the Hive mission to be released. For the time that we had to wait what a dissapointment, seems like it was an after thought to the rest of season seven. I for one feel robbed .

Anyone that was here before F2P knows that it was not such an easy stroll thru the stf's nor should it be for end content in my opinion should be longer than 15 minutes .

I say what is the harm in giving us those type's of missions for those of us that want to do them.

and as far as the foundry goes i did not buy a liftime sub ( before it was announced they were going F2P ) to play player built content not saying it isn't good but you just can't build decent 5 man missions.

So again for me 5 man missions that take more than 15 minutes to complete is fun so bring back some of the fun PLEASE !!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited February 2013
    Did you pug an elite STF lately?
    If you're lucky you end up in one that takes an hour.

If that's your definition of fun.

Do you want something so difficult even the good players need an hour to finish while still being a fun activity?
    (so no waiting 5 minutes for nonsensical bars to fill or traveling through half the galaxy)
    How long is it supposed to take an ordinary person - or a pug-by-todays-standards?

If length is determined by skill then it starts to take too long for many people very quickly.
    If length isn't determined by skill it's just a mind-numbing wait.

The STFs as is are fairly decent in that regard - I wouldn't mind double length ones (heh, kinda like the old ones), but anything beyond this isn't very productive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am a lifer who has found the ultimate joy in STO. I still play my first toon 99.9% of the time. Now some guys like exploring others prefer PvP... I have found a happy medium and yes the grind. Here is the thing... I still fly my same old ship the Intrepid. As a Tac officer I took this ship and recreated it into a Torp boat. I spent countless hours developing the crew skills and doff combos to maximize my toon's potential. In that time I have made many new acquaintences and formed some really good friendships. Kerrat is the perfect place to kill 8-10 hrs a day and it is combat at it's best. What is even more fun... is beating these klinks who have superior equipment faster better turning ships and OP consoles. Learning to be resourceful and playing with my firends has proven to be the key to happiness for me. Earning the respect of other players is a powerful incentive that brings a certain amount of self satisfaction. We can all complain about stuff...but are you willing to adapt and overcome? I still fly Mk XI stuff and can easily outmanouver and destroy opponents.... I love teaching combat tactics to other players. Most people think DPS wins... well it doesn't. "The fastest car doesn't always win the race" - Dale Earnhardt-

Learning to be the best and make the most out of what you have and sharing that with your friends is where the real fun is. Hey if you get bored go create a mission in the Foundry. That takes time and effort working with limited tools to create something great. It isn't easy, it is a challenge something a Starfleet Officer should aspire to take on.
  • gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Did you pug an elite STF lately?
    If you're lucky you end up in one that takes an hour.

If that's your definition of fun.

Do you want something so difficult even the good players need an hour to finish while still being a fun activity?
    (so no waiting 5 minutes for nonsensical bars to fill or traveling through half the galaxy)
    How long is it supposed to take an ordinary person - or a pug-by-todays-standards?

If length is determined by skill then it starts to take too long for many people very quickly.
    If length isn't determined by skill it's just a mind-numbing wait.

The STFs as is are fairly decent in that regard - I wouldn't mind double length ones (heh, kinda like the old ones), but anything beyond this isn't very productive.
    The last STF i did was with 1 other fleet member and it was infected ground elite we got the optional with 6 and a half minutes left on the optional ! So yes i want one that even the great players will have problems with.

I am tired of being told it would not be fair to others that don't want the long missions, i disn't want to do half the missions i had to do to complete certain things in the game so why not give us the long mission just make it an optional mission that you don't have to do if you don't want to. The only reason why mission takes so long now is because it has been proven time and time again that it does not take a team of 5 to do any of them.

To tell the truth me and my freinds go into the mission looking to TRIBBLE off those that would deny the optional to others , It is our way of having fun without ruining the optional . Try to beat our last fastest time with optional in any given stf or finding another way to do the mission in a pug group without losing the optional. Like infected the conduit instead of taking out the cube first ,try taking out transformers then the gate and the cube without losing optional we did it was damn fun . But you can only do the same stuff so long.
    Time for new Harder missions to keep it interesting .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]