test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Temporarily Offline (1/31) [UPDATE! It's back online]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hi Captains,

To help decrease the "lag" you are seeing, we are temporarily disabling the Foundry editor and being able to play Foundry missions. We hope to bring it back up ASAP. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

-The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• markarichmarkarich Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is the foundry just down for me or are others experiencing this as well????
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No foundry missions here either.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    markarich wrote: »
    Is the foundry just down for me or are others experiencing this as well????

What an unfortunate merge. Now it looks like you can't read. :P
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I did NOT want this to happen. You just buggered up my source for dilithium. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    what An Unfortunate Merge. Now It Looks Like You Can't Read. :p

Lol........
    edited January 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    I did NOT want this to happen. You just buggered up my source for dilithium. :mad:

Agreed, my main source of Fleet marks is now gone as well. I hope the server lag issue isn't something that is going to keep the foundry down for days and days.
  • chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    markarich wrote: »
    Agreed, my main source of Fleet marks is now gone as well. I hope the server lag issue isn't something that is going to keep the foundry down for days and days.

I'm going to assume this will be very temporary, as right now everyone and their transport accident created clone is logging on for the start of the Ambassador mission and to see what Q has for them now.
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Please be the "a few hours" kind of delay and not the "few weeks to 2 months" kind. ;)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Please be the "a few hours" kind of delay and not the "few weeks to 2 months" kind. ;)

Seconded./10chars
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How is this even REMOTELY acceptable? A lot of people are trying to log into your game, so you decide to intentionally DISABLE one of its features? And one that you actually promote on a weekly basis and gets cross promoted on startrek.com. Just when I want to give the devs credit for a cool 3rd year anniversary they go and do something that is literally insane.
  • martok16martok16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    No foundry missions here either.

Same here, I guess it's time to move on and play something else other than STO.

If Linden Lab for Secondlife (a 3D virtual world system that's a very close similarity to STO, but user created content) can have simultaneous online users of more than 50,000 WITHOUT a login queue, and server lag of about 0.6% (most high lag is due to the users system and type of internet connection), then Cryptic can do it for STO.

Currently (at the time of writing this post) Secondlife has 46,345 users online.

I can't create new posts, because it says I have to have a PWE account, which I have, and I've been a member for over a week, otherwise I would create a new thread, next, when I play the missions, I constantly get disconnected from the game server, (it's not my internet connection as I have a dedicated connection just for STO, at 37Mb/s d/l and 10Mb/s u/l), then I get "can not get map names from map manager' to many times to count, then they added a login queue, and now removed foundry missions?

What's next?
  • senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You know what's better than a message here? A MESSAGE IN-GAME.

We see popups about select Foundry missions, we see popups about everything. You couldn't modify the Foundry display to show what's going on, or pop-up an in-game message? I was lucky that someone gave me this link, otherwise I'd have just been in the dark.
  • chromeboneschromebones Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I realize stuff happens but if you have to disable one of the major features of your game just because you are having a high traffic day, especially one that they obviously had to see coming, then something is deeply flawed about your game. I love this game and I think they have for the most part created an enjoyable experience but sometimes you get the perception, whether right or wrong, that the game is just hanging on by a thread. some of the problems just seem so basic that it makes you wonder what is going on. :confused:
  • xxopaquexxxxopaquexx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Please feel free, while its down, to DECLUTTER the foundry of all the maps with 20+ battleships stacked on top of eachother, as they are pointless and suicide now. waste of foundry list. *cough*easy money any level*cough*
  • cracobiggleycracobiggley Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know its the internet and all, and forums are only for complaining...but seriously you rage over this? :confused:
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yep - I have to say disabling a major, oft promoted STO game feature that authors have to put work into; and players use for various reasons because you underestimated the player load your lead up advertising of your third anniversary event generated is VERY bad form.

In really makes authors and regular users of the Foundry feel that they are 'second class players' (IMO).

Stuff happens, and maybe you guys somehow didn't feel that all this would cause such a resurgence in former players wanting to log in, or new players wanting to try the game out finally - but seriously, after 2 previous anniversary events AND 4 Series releases that also caused MASSIVE server/login load; either the demand is really way beyond anything STO has seen before (yes, that is possible); or someone didn't really do the math to be able to handle the increased load expected.

But, again, disabling a major/featured game system because of this is really bad form.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    The Foundry is back online!

Again, this was just a precautionary measure taken to help improve server stability. We don't anticipate this happening often. Thanks for your patience and understanding :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.