test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anniversary Infographic

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Check out our brand-new infographic to see some incredible statistics about what has been accomplished thus far in Star Trek Online.

Link to the infographic.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Only four billion tribbles? :eek:

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    foxalpha5 wrote: »
    Only four billion tribbles? :eek:

that might only be 4 Billion "not deleted" tribbles. so the real number of tribbles ever found could be higher.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    leoll2leoll2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Captains stands for accounts or characters?
    P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
    ...and 21 other characters!
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, those stats aren't as surprising when you take everything into account, like multiple captains per account etc...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Captain obviously stands for characters unless the entire mechanics of the game has been changed in today's patch.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Given each toon is a captain of his/her own ship (except FEDs before playing the tutorial, or before skipping it), that 2 million number would logically designate characters.

Why would they show the smaller number of accounts when they can show the much more pleasing amount of toons?

Also an average of 4 ships per toon seems more likely than 4 per account (only getting the free ships at leveling, each one Vice Admiral toon will get to 5).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    Given each toon is a captain of his/her own ship (except FEDs before playing the tutorial, or before skipping it), that 2 million number would logically designate characters.

Why would they show the smaller number of accounts when they can show the much more pleasing amount of toons?

Also an average of 4 ships per toon seems more likely than 4 per account (only getting the free ships at leveling, each one Vice Admiral toon will get to 5).

I have so many ships on my main, that it takes me 20 mins when I log in, just to decide what ship i'll fly......sad I know ;) :cool:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You have to take charts like this with a grain of salt, if they aren't releasing these numbers or actual empirical data that produces them then it's all conjecture and quite 'cryptic', just like everything DStahl says. If it was really 2 million active accounts it would say 'active accounts' since that's really the only criteria that matters there....inactive accounts are not generating any income potential. Some players have 6-10 toons, number of 'Captain's' is like number of ships, it's all relative.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would say the account range is in the 500k to 1M range with that captain number. Why? Look at the ships; There are only 10 Million ships in service, or 5 per captain. I know I have 20+ ships on my main and 5 ish on my 2 alts each. To offset me and others like me, there must be a lot of people with just 1 ship per captain. Likewise, there's going to be a lot of accounts with just 1 captain to offset the few with 5, 10, or more captains.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I would say the account range is in the 500k to 1M range with that captain number. Why? Look at the ships; There are only 10 Million ships in service, or 5 per captain. I know I have 20+ ships on my main and 5 ish on my 2 alts each. To offset me and others like me, there must be a lot of people with just 1 ship per captain. Likewise, there's going to be a lot of accounts with just 1 captain to offset the few with 5, 10, or more captains.

Of course my 6 toons with about a dozen ships on average skew the statistics as well.

Fact is, they want to show the highest numbers possible. And hopefully, they aren't completely made up.

Even then, it tells very little of the actual active playerbase that I'm not founded enough to estimate the size of.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    leoll2 wrote: »
    Captains stands for accounts or characters?
    Yeah, when I heard Dan mention 2M Captains on that recent podcast interview, I wondered the same thing. I expect they mean characters, vs. players/accounts. It's a nice big number. 2,000,000. It looks impressive on an "infographic", but really it's meaningless without context.

Confirmation of whether it's character vs. player. Is it active characters/players? How many players did they start with? How does that compare to other MMOs? Are they Gold or Silver players? How many Zen do they purches? Etc. etc.

I mean, for example: I'm one player, with two accounts: one Gold LTS, one Silver. My Gold has ~20 toons on it, but only a couple are active at any given time. I buy Zen on occassion (usually when it's on sale) as well as spend my stipend. My Silver has only one Captain, and buys nothing with real money. I rarely play it, or when I do it's usually just to sit in his Tuffli Freighter.

My point being is an account's playstyle could be all over and difficult to guess at. And I'm just one player. I have friends that play significantly less than me, and others that play MORE than I (not just in time, but in more/multiple accounts/characters that make me look like I don't even own a computer).

So yeah... Flashy numbers with no real meaning. :)
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I have so many ships on my main, that it takes me 20 mins when I log in, just to decide what ship i'll fly......sad I know ;) :cool:
    Not sad. In fact, I salute you! I wish I took the time to switch between my ships sometimes. It's just such a pain to do so. Perhaps if the process was streamlined I'd be more likely... Anywho.

:cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm trying to find the post, but I swear pwebranflakes said it was 2 million accounts, not characters.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One interesting thing those numbers show:

The average (defined as "mean") fleet size is 121.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Damn..., I thought it was 47...

:D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Would help to know how many of those "captains" actually are in a fleet. I guess most of those less active (or even inactive) captains are without one.

Still, a curiously high number.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, average and median are different. There could be a few very large sized fleets, and many smaller sized fleets, which could math the average to 121, but make the median much lower. And given that Cryptic built bases for the 25-50 member range (as I recall from dev posts at the time) that makes more sense.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Well, average and median are different. There could be a few very large sized fleets, and many smaller sized fleets, which could math the average to 121, but make the median much lower. And given that Cryptic built bases for the 25-50 member range (as I recall from dev posts at the time) that makes more sense.

The cap is at 500, right? Well, looks like there might be much more capped fleets than I thought.

For some reason, I believed there was just about a dozen "prestigious" fleets (possibly even several alt fleets of the few) capped and the rest rather small fleets of 50 or less captains.

Here my beliefs shatter on the floor, I guess it's my lack of interest towards fleets, socializing or roleplaying.

• Options
    astraz1701astraz1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry guys, where were you in the last three years? :)
    I was here since before the game was released and, in STO lexicon, "captains" always stood for "users/accounts" all the way from development stage untill now.

The infographics - using the STO terminology - says that there are 2.000.000 account and 10.000.000 toons (the ships in service: one per toon, as the ships your toon is not using are ships on reserve). :cool:

But maybe you won't get my words for granted and you need branflakes to come here and clarify the point? :confused:
    In this galaxy there
  • Options
    xathanael#5083 xathanael Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yea....notice how they don't show how many are Fed captains and how many are Klingon captains?
    Bet they're hiding those to keep all you Klinks quiet.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    astraz1701 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, where were you in the last three years? :)
    I was here since before the game was released and, in STO lexicon, "captains" always stood for "users/accounts" all the way from development stage untill now.

The infographics - using the STO terminology - says that there are 2.000.000 account and 10.000.000 toons (the ships in service: one per toon, as the ships your toon is not using are ships on reserve). :cool:

But maybe you won't get my words for granted and you need branflakes to come here and clarify the point? :confused:

i wouldnt be surprised if it were close to 2 million accounts. the question is what does "active" mean in the term? with F2P all accounts that arent banned could be considered "active" unless its within a certain time frame.

but if that were the case, it could include Cryptic accounts that arent linked to a PWE account, which means players that havent tried to play since linking was required.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Honestly, I'd have a hard time believing there are 2 million accounts.

Althought according to your interpretation, the 5 toons per account on average seem believable.

• Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yea....notice how they don't show how many are Fed captains and how many are Klingon captains?
    Bet they're hiding those to keep all you Klinks quiet.

2million does add a little wieght to the KDF being even just 12% of the total amount doesnt it? It makes for a number that is not paltry by any means.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The cap is at 500, right? Well, looks like there might be much more capped fleets than I thought.

For some reason, I believed there was just about a dozen "prestigious" fleets (possibly even several alt fleets of the few) capped and the rest rather small fleets of 50 or less captains.

Here my beliefs shatter on the floor, I guess it's my lack of interest towards fleets, socializing or roleplaying.

Not necessarily. Let's say that literally a dozen (12) of the 16,500 fleets in the infographic are at the max with 500 people. Assuming that all 2 million people are part of a fleet, that means there would be 1,994,000 people in 16,488 fleets, which comes out to just barely under 121 people per fleet.

Then let's say that 144 (12 x 12) fleets have 400 people in them. That's 57,600 people. Subtracting the 500 and 400 member amount fleets from the totals gets us 1,936,400 people in 16,344 fleets, or 118 people per fleet.

Continue with 1,728 (12x12x12) 300 member fleets, you get 1,418,000 people in 14,616 fleets, which drops the average dramatically to 97 people per fleet.

You can't continue with the same sorts of numbers because adding another 12 for 200 member fleets would be over 20,000 fleets, but the point is you can still have a very small percentage of large fleets (12 with 500 people, and a mere 1,884 with over 300 people) and over seven times (almost eight times) as many fleets that have smaller member amounts.

Of course my math is using arbitrary numbers, and I'm sure the actual results would be fairly different. But it is possible that the perception of an itty bitty amount of large fleets compared to a giant swath of small member number fleets is correct - and was supported by the devs when the base system rolled out, since they said it was aimed at getting fleets with under 100 members the most bang for their buck.

Also of note: if you assume that only half of the 2 million captains are part of a fleet, with a mere dozen (12) fleets at cap, that leaves you with 994,000 people in 16,488 fleets - which gives an average of 60 (!!!) people per fleet for the remaining 16,488 fleets. Using the same fleet and person numbers as above for the 400 and 300 member fleets, you end up with 14,616 fleets that have an average of 29 members, compared to 12 with 500 members.

Edit: I should say that those numbers are using individual players as fleet members. If you were to assume that all 10 million ships in service belong to individual characters, and divide that by the 16,500 fleets, you get over 600 average members per fleet. So it is possible that there is a large number of fleets that have many characters, but few members. Which might contribute to the discrepancy between what is perceived and actual numbers of fleet members: most people are going to post as one person, meaning small member fleets will be perceived as smaller than their character number, leading to people believing only a few (or a dozen) big member-capped fleets exist, while the number of fleets that have huge alt-charcater memberships might be significantly larger.

I know that the 12th fleet has two large, several hundred member fleets - but one is for alts only. But most people only perceive the 12th as the one fleet, which could play out on a smaller scale with other fleets that allow alts into their main fleet (people perceive the fleet to be small, when in fact its 60 members each have several alts on the rolls).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Let's say that literally a dozen (12) of the 16,500 fleets in the infographic are at the max with 500 people. Assuming that all 2 million people are part of a fleet, that means there would be 1,994,000 people in 16,488 fleets, which comes out to just barely under 121 people per fleet.

Then let's say that 144 (12 x 12) fleets have 400 people in them. That's 57,600 people. Subtracting the 500 and 400 member amount fleets from the totals gets us 1,936,400 people in 16,344 fleets, or 118 people per fleet.

Continue with 1,728 (12x12x12) 300 member fleets, you get 1,418,000 people in 14,616 fleets, which drops the average dramatically to 97 people per fleet.

You can't continue with the same sorts of numbers because adding another 12 for 200 member fleets would be over 20,000 fleets, but the point is you can still have a very small percentage of large fleets (12 with 500 people, and a mere 1,884 with over 300 people) and over seven times (almost eight times) as many fleets that have smaller member amounts.

Of course my math is using arbitrary numbers, and I'm sure the actual results would be fairly different. But it is possible that the perception of an itty bitty amount of large fleets compared to a giant swath of small member number fleets is correct - and was supported by the devs when the base system rolled out, since they said it was aimed at getting fleets with under 100 members the most bang for their buck.

Also of note: if you assume that only half of the 2 million captains are part of a fleet, with a mere dozen (12) fleets at cap, that leaves you with 994,000 people in 16,488 fleets - which gives an average of 60 (!!!) people per fleet for the remaining 16,488 fleets. Using the same fleet and person numbers as above for the 400 and 300 member fleets, you end up with 14,616 fleets that have an average of 29 members, compared to 12 with 500 members.

Edit: I should say that those numbers are using individual players as fleet members. If you were to assume that all 10 million ships in service belong to individual characters, and divide that by the 16,500 fleets, you get over 600 average members per fleet. So it is possible that there is a large number of fleets that have many characters, but few members. Which might contribute to the discrepancy between what is perceived and actual numbers of fleet members: most people are going to post as one person, meaning small member fleets will be perceived as smaller than their character number, leading to people believing only a few (or a dozen) big member-capped fleets exist, while the number of fleets that have huge alt-charcater memberships might be significantly larger.

I know that the 12th fleet has two large, several hundred member fleets - but one is for alts only. But most people only perceive the 12th as the one fleet, which could play out on a smaller scale with other fleets that allow alts into their main fleet (people perceive the fleet to be small, when in fact its 60 members each have several alts on the rolls).

Sure, it's possible (and well, I guess that's basically it, if the infographic is right).

Again, I was only comparing to my expectations of there being just a couple large ones (as in usually capped ones) and then the rest small fleets of a couple dozen people (and some personnal fleets on top of it).

And my expectations were clearly wrong. It would help if they released some more numbers, anyway.

Btw, I'm in that small minority of personnal fleets (1 FED, 1 KDF), just helps to have sort of a limited account bank.

• Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    2 mln captains..but i need to wait like 10 min to start a pvp queue...:confused:
  • Options
    pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If I recall correctly, more than 1.000.000 accounts were created PRIOR the launch of the game. Additional 3-400.000 accounts were created when the free "demo" became available.

However, I the active accounts during the subscription period were around 50-70.000. After FTP came into effect, this all lost meaning. I personally know like 10 people, who created a FTP account, tried is and never logged back in. I myself have 4 accounts. 1 demo, 1 main, 1 temp and 1 FTP because there was a problem with the account linking.
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Additional facts that didn't make it into the infographic:

-950, 000 captains with boring Borg names like "Six of Eight" and "Two of Three"
    -90, 000 ships named IKS Kahless
    -500, 000 ships with butchered versions of the name USS Enterprise
    -8, 250 fleets in service that include the words "Section 31" in their name

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That tribble stat has me curious:
    Is that from some specific mission where you have to find tribbles on your own ship? If so, which mission is that?

Or is it just the total number of random tribble drops that occur as loot during various missions?
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    tl3205tl3205 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thats lots of tribbls