What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• Options
    hedonastickhedonastick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Reading this thread is almost as entertaining as actually playing the game. So much nerdrage. You'd think we sto players lack... oh **** what do they call it again? Oh yeah, LIVES. In which case there are always reruns, folks. :D
  • Options
    shagnastieshagnastie Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok so the problems are stopping people from accessing launcher, logging in etc

Here is solution

You need to join a VPN or virtual private network

A virtual private network will allow you to route all of your incoming outgoing internet traffic through a server of your choice anywhere in the world.

Now give the fact that this issue is not an issue in certain parts of the world
    (west coast USA for example)

You can connect to a server there or anywhere else until you get a working connection (Worked for me in about 2 minutes)

Anyway I found a website that sets all this up for you

http://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=1360

it is possible to get a trial account the link is in the bottom right hand corner of the target page

You can google search purevpn if you are not comfortable clicking the link thats fine but please use my referal code. code 1360 or if it asks for my email Aj_backontop@btinternet.com

Once signed up for your account trial or otherwise should take less thna 5 mins to get logged in to STO

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
  • Options
    werx138werx138 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Reading this thread is almost as entertaining as actually playing the game. So much nerdrage. You'd think we sto players lack... oh **** what do they call it again? Oh yeah, LIVES. In which case there are always reruns, folks. :D

I notice you're here too ;)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyralyn wrote: »
    Does this happen all the time or is it just the past couple days? If it doesn't happen very often then I will reconsider buying the lifetime package. I just don't want to waste my money on a game that will continually frustrate me and give me trouble. I really like the game so far though. So any long time players have any advice (preferably ones that are still right in the head).

As always, you should just decide for yourself; but overall, the game server has been pretty stable since about a week after Season 7 launched (major updates always cause some issues for any MMO) up until yesterday. Occasionally, they have run 30 minutes to an hour beyond the weekly announced maintenance windows; but once it's up, it usually stays up.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    raschen1raschen1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Managed to get on, the almost instantly "Couldn't get map names from Map Manager". Grumble grumble
  • Options
    cyralyncyralyn Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok thanks. I will give it another month or so and decide after I have had more time to see how it goes. I have been a Trekie since I was a kid. I probably would have did cosplay and went to conventions if I had the means lol. I have been waiting for a game like this and finally found it. I would really like to get as much out of it as I can.
  • Options
    hicks451hicks451 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Come on man its not right that we need a 3rd party to log onto STO!!!! and yet again the launcher fails!!!:eek: 2 botches in 2 days!!!!!:confused:
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyralyn wrote: »
    Does this happen all the time or is it just the past couple days? If it doesn't happen very often then I will reconsider buying the lifetime package. I just don't want to waste my money on a game that will continually frustrate me and give me trouble. I really like the game so far though. So any long time players have any advice (preferably ones that are still right in the head).

Well, I may not be totally right in the head, but I have enough of a grasp of things to say that no, this does not normally happen. Things like it do sprout up from time to time, but they don't last. So spring for the lifetime, it's well worth it in my opinion. I got one at the beginning, and I was playing free before the game went free to play
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Launcher's up..HOORAY!!

Now if it will stay that way...

Nope still not working.
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    Launcher's up..HOORAY!!

Don't get too excited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    slurmerslurmer Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    still broke for me
  • Options
    ph4ze2ph4ze2 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Someone needs to hurry up and delete this.
  • Options
    somriksomrik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ah Im on the West Coast of US

And I'm now running into issues with the launcher.

Was in game.
    But "Couldnt get map name" when I tried to get onto ESD.

Exited.

Now the launcher wont launch.

Says its having problems connecting to the patch server.
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Its broken again and now we cant switch to go anywhere.
  • Options
    captainpainfulcaptainpainful Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It may be even more than he said above it could be a unicode error Or more. Im using windows 8 so it could be an unrecognized windows error. people with other windows may have pirated windows which intern can also cause a windows unrecognized error.the server is unstable. etc thats just to name a few the problem has to be found before it can be fixed.
  • Options
    cyralyncyralyn Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    slurmer wrote: »
    still broke for me

yep me too
  • Options
    xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Launcher's up..HOORAY!!

Fibber... :p
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • Options
    antras1antras1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "trying to update the launcher. please be patient."

i'm trying. believe me, i'm trying...
  • Options
    rmleloup1337rmleloup1337 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm getting

couldn't get map names from manager

What the heck?

I've been booted randomly from game entirely!

My inet is stabled, I can ping -t www.google.ca clearly in a dos window and it HAS NOT INTERRUPTED at all... ie no disconnect... no failure of internet on my end, no firewall, no a/v conflict (permissions etc handled properly). Basically STO server side is issue. ISP is not, I worked for mine, already cleared that up entirely. Already reset mdm, router, checked connections, etc. I can tracert to anywhere I want. Issue is not client side.

Running pc specs

i7, 920, 3.6ghz, idle temps 35celcius on air cooling (possible yes). sto max's 55-60celcius on cpu.
    12gb ddr3 1600
    Sata III 1tb hdd,
    2x 6870's 1gb each, in xfire. running 40-50idle, 75-80 ingame (celcius).
    Antec P280 case,
    1200watt psu.

Fail is not user, fail = STO server side.

- rmleloup
  • Options
    starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Never had an issue till you started your 'tests'
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Launcher came up, logged in and then after a short wait got:

Fatal Error: Unable to initialize on-demand patching and connect to Patch Server. The connection was idle for too long.

People actually use on-demand patching... voluntarily?
  • Options
    steven74205steven74205 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Couldn't get map names from map manager".

Seriously? It finally manages to let me in, only to be told I can't get into the map manager? And STILL WE HAVE HEARD NOTHING FROM CRYPTIC ABOUT COMPENSATION!

Brandon, I listened to the Massively podcast earlier, where you talked about the joys of the upcoming anniversary, and you said that on an earlier post. Unfortunately, I'm not excited about the anniversary, because I don't think I'll actually get to play it.

Then again... why am I posting this in a forum, when I know it's going to get ignored?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    starlanced wrote: »
    Never had an issue till you started your 'tests'

Guess you were just lucky, huh?
  • Options
    cykotic2cykotic2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Im on the west coast to and im unable to establish a connection to the patch server. :mad:
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Lol poor brandon just closed the other thread and linked to the thread he closed I feel rage incoming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    rmleloup1337rmleloup1337 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I"m calgary Alberta Canada. Different ISP, clearly not isp related.
  • Options
    hicks451hicks451 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have been loosing fleet members to this all night:mad: And then got kicked when my fleet team was about to do fleet defence. havent been able to log in since and thats well over 35 mins ago!!! :eek: